You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default arrow length question

Hi all.
    Im thinking of getting a PSE Stinger package from Hunters Friend.
    Im currently shooting an older Bear compound @65# 27.5 draw and my arrows are 30 inches. I know they could of been just a tad shorter, but didnt want to chance clearance.
    Ive just had new arrows made, and wonder if they will be ok to use with the new bow?
    They are .340 spine. I hate to not be able to use them as I have some $$$ invested, as you all realalize, Im sure. I look forward to any advice from you good folks. Thank you.

If you are keeping the same draw and weight you will be fine, maybe a little over spined but that usually doesn't cause a problem
    Hoyt Maxxis 31,QAD HD ,G5 ME sight ,Vibracheck stabilizer
    Hoyt Maxxis 35, QAD HDX, Black Gold slider, B-Stinger
    Hoyt Maxxis 35, QAD HD ,B-stinger. Armortech sight

hey, thanks. Im getting arrows with the bow package, but I have a dozen new ones that were made, and really hope I can still use them. I guess worst cast, if they are too long I could cut them down. Appreciate the quick reply.

With modern equipment your arrows are usually about 1 inch shorter than your draw length.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Chris is right. It depends on where your rest is located, but the norm these days is toward the back of the riser which means you could shoot somewhat shorter than the bow's draw length, maybe 27" in your case. This would mean you could easily shoot a 400 spine which would be a bit lighter to gain some speed, bit's more a personal choice.

Although I don't shoot any kind of capture rest I have no problem drawing a braodhead back over my hand as I always have the draw weight set so that I can control the draw cycle of the bow and can't tell you the last time I had an arrow fall off the rest, even though I've been shooting over 38 years now.

In your case if you want to cut the arrows down then you can shoot your 340's although they would be overspined. They still might shoot OK, but a lighter spine would be preferrable for best performance. You can always play with this later. Cut a couple down, tune and shoot them with broadheads and see what happens.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

Default 340 are stiff for your set up so...

leave em long, if you shortin them down you might run into problems

Thanks folks, something to think about. I also have some 400 spine arrows that Id been shooting, I went with the .340s because I turned the poundage up a bit, and from the spine charts Ive seen was right for the bow. I really appreciate the help. Ive been shooting a little while and hunted some, taken some does, but there is still a lot I need to learn. Be safe.
    Doug in ne Pa.

I bought the PSE stinger, got it at a pro shop in my area.
    If I may ask another probably silly question, but I just dont understand:
    Are the 400 shafts which are smaller diameter the the Gold Tip .340 shafts a stiffer spine, or is the smaller diamiter shaft the stiffer of the two?
    I keep reading up on this but Im like, duh, cant figure it out. Help again, please?

Also, pro shop guy measured me and Im at 26.5 draw length, so he said 27 inch arrows qould be about right.
    Thought Id mention it.

Diameter has nothing to do with the stiffness.
    A 340 easton arrow is the same stiffness as a goldtip 7595
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Arrow stiffness is properly called SPINE and is determined by a combination of shaft diameter and wall thickess of the shaft. Without getting too technical suffice it to say that the lower the spine rating the stiffer the shaft is.

Do not confuse this with the numbers or labeling on arrows. Different manufacturers label their arrows differently. Easton/Beman mark theirs with the actual spine rating.

Gold tip does with some of it's arrows such as the Ultralite series. The GT XT arrows are 3555 (500 spine), 5575 (400), and 7595 (340).

Carbon express labels some of their arrows such as the Maxima's with numbers like 250 which is actually close to a 404 spine. 350 is a stiffer arrow. So you see they label their arrows backwards.

No matter the labeling, just be sure when you get arrows you ask for the spine rating for your setup.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

So, can I have two different diameter arrows but are the same spine?

yes you can
    Hoyt Maxxis 31,QAD HD ,G5 ME sight ,Vibracheck stabilizer
    Hoyt Maxxis 35, QAD HDX, Black Gold slider, B-Stinger
    Hoyt Maxxis 35, QAD HD ,B-stinger. Armortech sight

Quote Originally Posted by freebird77 View Post
    So, can I have two different diameter arrows but are the same spine?
    Yes, you can.