You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default what would get you there?

OK, so here is a new question.... I am joining a club, it is a nice club... set up, area, members I have met seem wonderful....

From what I understand, the 3d shoots use to pull about 100-150 shooters, now they are pulling about 35-50... there are 3 other clubs in the area which makes it a little tough to compete for shooters when shoots fall on the same weekend, So I am asking you...

What would make you choose one shoot over another if they were on the same weekend? Size? Trophy's/prizes? food? targets? events? Distance? other?

Default get me there

I look for a good mix of distances, along with maintained targets. They dont have to be new just in decent shape. A course that makes it a challange but still fun to shoot. I have been known to drive 70-75 miles to go to a really nice shoot.(along with wife, daughter, cousin, and his wife), but if we don't have a good time its hard to justify driving there again. If scores are posted online it is good to have the website maintained as well. The course itself should be layed out in a safe manner and marked well. Course should also be checked for all shooters. Our group ranges from a 5' lefty to a almost 6' right hander. Just a foot difference can make a huge difference in how the target looks, we have also had targets that for a right hander is fine but the lefty comes to full draw and is staring straight into a tree. Of course this is just my opinion.

We have 6 clubs. We ended up forming a coalition. This has worked out real well. We support each other's club to boot. So, we know each other. Our website is mygpaa.com. This is in NC. Our clubs are spread out pretty much too! Here lately, even with the gas prices going through the roof, we still have a real good turnout. We almost have a shoot every weekend, unless there's a ASA tournament on that weekend. A lot of our people are ASA members and travel to these. We have a Championship for our different classes at on e of these clubs and they are voted on which place before the next year. We also have a GPAA coalition championship, where each club is shooting against each other for a BIG trophy. This trophy has been moved quite a few times the past few years. If you want ideas, check out our website at mygpaa.com.
    Tommy
    I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

They should try talking to the other clubs and work with each other to set schedules.

We have one club that always hold theres the first weekend of the month, one on the second, ect..... Clubs shouldn't try to compete with each other because everyone looses out. They should try to work together and keep the most number of people attending each club.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

we had one organization in the 80's with 5 to 6 clubs
    this worked well with all involved in the schedule
    then in the early 90's we had some new fellars star shoots and we have 3 clubs left in the association many still hold shoots overlapping each other
    most are 2 day shoots and seems some shoot both days some just shoot the closet shoots
    I never did get along with the idea of stepping over clubs united to form a independent place
    but all should have a place if they want to

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

we have 9 clubs around me and we did like ranger said we have a coalition so we don't step on each others shoots works out well here

we get together in november to pick dates for the next year they draw numbers out of a hat to see what order we pick then redraw for the next round of dates takes a while but it works
    Last edited by shark3; 05-19-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Red. PSE Supra ME
    Black. PSE Supra ME

I'm getting to the age where I don't like all the walking. Seems like you have to be part billie goat to make it around. You can make the shots hard and not have to be a Ranger to make it. Is it an archery shoot or a tri-athlon?
    Carroll

If my paycheck was bigger and I had more free time I would certainly make it to shoots more often....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    If my paycheck was bigger and I had more free time I would certainly make it to shoots more often....
    I hear ya!!

maybe if they had pretty dancing girls...

so, do you dance?
    I cut things up and split them down!

Talking Here's what I think !

I try to make my club's shoots , but the folks who run it ,target quality , location of targets , course , refreshment availability and distance to drive are some reasons that I'd go to others !

I don't care about tropheys , unless they were alive !