You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default beginner shopping for new sights

Hi everyone.
    I'm kind of a beginner at bow hunting and wanted advice on the type of sight I should get for varmint hunting. I have a ALPINE Micro STALKER R 21-28 (3311840) bow and I've been a fan of truglo but I'm open to suggestions... Any advice on something you've tried would be best.
    Your input will be much appreciated!

We need to know your range. I like the Axcel but it is not cheap, I also like the G5 sights, and you can pick them up fairly cheap on ebay, and if you want a single pin, I would go with HHA, or vitail gear. I like the Axcel and the G5, because of thier ease of use, and they are micro adjust.
    Hoyt Maxxis 31,QAD HD ,G5 ME sight ,Vibracheck stabilizer
    Hoyt Maxxis 35, QAD HDX, Black Gold slider, B-Stinger
    Hoyt Maxxis 35, QAD HD ,B-stinger. Armortech sight

Anywhere around $150 really. I checked the g5 on ebay and the prices on them are decent enough. And I'd rather use multiple pins.
    Have you found something wrong with truglo before or have you just not tried it? I tried shooting with rifles one time with two friends and they let me try their sights and I just liked the truglo best, it had better visibility.

they make the g5s with 2pins up to 7 pins. I like the ME or XR 4 pin models, the fourth pin is adjustable. I have tried the truglo, just never found one that i cared for, but its a personal prefernce on what you will like. I don't think that the fibers are as good on the truglos'. If you are going to be doing a lot of spot and stalk, something like the axcel would be better cause thier fibers are inclosed in shaft. The only exposed part of the fiber is the dot on the very end. A lot of people like the Black Gold sights also. then spot hoggs are great also.
    Hoyt Maxxis 31,QAD HD ,G5 ME sight ,Vibracheck stabilizer
    Hoyt Maxxis 35, QAD HDX, Black Gold slider, B-Stinger
    Hoyt Maxxis 35, QAD HD ,B-stinger. Armortech sight

No as cool as it sounds, I don't think I'll start spot and stalking. Just ground blinds or tree stands... but yeah I have to check all that out, thanks!

#1 for me is the size pin and color. I see green the best so I change the fibers to all green. I like 019 pins, they seem the best balance for me for brightness, but not blocking too much of the target.
    I've had cobra, truglo, VBG, copper john, spothog, trophy ridge, and viper. It does'nt seem to make a whole lotta dif as long as the pins are the right size and color. If you think you want 3rd axis adjustability, then by all means get one. I'd think you would want something that is able to utilize a sight light since you use a blind.
    FBSA Member

another thing youll want to look at also is pin housing size compared to your peep size..if you have a large peep size and a small sight pin housing,then it may be hard for you to center the sight in the peep.the truglo sights are ok for the price,but if you have the cash to drop on something a lil nicer then if where me id deffinately do it..as said previously the g5's,and axcels are really nice,infact the axcel armortech is my sight of choice these days.also do you prefer tooless adjustment or the old school have to use an allen wrench style lol.i like to have multiple pin sizes on my sights so my 20-30 pins are .019 and my 40-60 yard pins are .010,but for me i like to keep all my pins different colors so i dont accidently confuse my yardage.