You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Baiting, yes or no

Is it allowed where you are? (where)
    Do you bait? Are you OK with it?
    I can't, nor do I want it here in Ma.
    I'm talking feeders...
    FBSA Member

Scent free & sittin High vortec 1's Avatar

Default I'm not for it

It was legal in Michigan then they outlawed it, people still baited.They are about to legalize it again so here come the truck loads of carrots,corn and sugar beets.
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

Feeding is allowed here in MO but has to be removed from the "area" 2 weeks before hunting that "area". Now there is no clear definition to what or how big an "area" is considered. But mineral licks are legal year round as well as salt blocks. I don't really care for the idea of hunting over "bait" but I do hunt close to where my Mineral hole is.

A big NO here in Illinois! In fact, we can't even put out minerals or a salt lick here without serious fines!!! If we want to "bait" here then we have to do it with foodplots.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    A big NO here in Illinois! In fact, we can't even put out minerals or a salt lick here without serious fines!!! If we want to "bait" here then we have to do it with foodplots.
    Illinois is retarted, I dont like the idea of hunting over a bait pile but why not make mineral legal till September or something just for the sake of trail cameras?

Kinda like our stupid orange army regulations, solid blaze only. Because you know someone might mistake breakup blaze to be a game animal, right...
    Be good or be good at it.

Im not big on the baiting idea myself,never done it personally,and never had an issue with harvesting my fair share of wilderness stew either....as the age old phrase goes if it aint broke dont fix it lol.....i do put out a few mineral blocks and salt blocks,but i use livestock blocks not them susposed specially formulated for deer blocks that cabelas and other outdoor companies would like you believe are the best.i use blocks cause they help the deer to maintain a better nutrient level and promote growth,and all out healthier deer.
    Now what i really dont understand,is most of these guys baiting,are using corn........and theyre hunting in or on the edge of a friggn corn field?????either way it just isnt right in my opinion,just a way for some people to make hunting easier for them.whats the point of hunting if theres no challenge?i dont know bout yall,but thats the part i thrive for...being able out smart that animal,in its own natural habitat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    Unless you are the IL DNR then you can bait and use spot lights at night to shoot as many deer as you can find and have unlimited tags. Here's the best part, you even get paid by the tax payers to do this.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Unless you are the IL DNR then you can bait and use spot lights at night to shoot as many deer as you can find and have unlimited tags. Here's the best part, you even get paid by the tax payers to do this.
    Do they have any openings?.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

IN is a no KY is a yes so I've done both - the vast majority of my KY deer have been taken without bait. I just don't think it's a big deal one way or the other and normally we don't bother doing it.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Quote Originally Posted by luther1980 View Post
    Im not big on the baiting idea myself,never done it personally,and never had an issue with harvesting my fair share of wilderness stew either....as the age old phrase goes if it aint broke dont fix it lol.....i do put out a few mineral blocks and salt blocks,but i use livestock blocks not them susposed specially formulated for deer blocks that cabelas and other outdoor companies would like you believe are the best.i use blocks cause they help the deer to maintain a better nutrient level and promote growth,and all out healthier deer.
    Now what i really dont understand,is most of these guys baiting,are using corn........and theyre hunting in or on the edge of a friggn corn field?????either way it just isnt right in my opinion,just a way for some people to make hunting easier for them.whats the point of hunting if theres no challenge?i dont know bout yall,but thats the part i thrive for...being able out smart that animal,in its own natural habitat.
    Is it a challenge to hunt over bait....no, not really, but it can sure speed up the process of filling the freezer so you can move on to bigger and better deer. It also keeps the kids interested in going out if they are seeing deer. I don't really care if people over bait it's there tag, time and money.

And come to think of it I don't know anybody that has shot a quality buck off a bait pile.

I go both ways.
    2010 PSE AXE 7

Quote Originally Posted by OneMustFall View Post
    I go both ways.
    Thats what we heard....
    I cut things up and split them down!

For those that can, do you still consider it hunting?
    I look at it as harvesting. But then again, it's never been legal here either.
    Of course, I've tried doe-in-heat scents, but they always seemed to scare away the resident does, and there goes the bucks that would have them. So for me, that kind of bait has not helped me bag a deer in 35 years.
    But a food bait is in another class to me.
    FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    Is it a challenge to hunt over bait....no, not really, but it can sure speed up the process of filling the freezer so you can move on to bigger and better deer. It also keeps the kids interested in going out if they are seeing deer. I don't really care if people over bait it's there tag, time and money.

And come to think of it I don't know anybody that has shot a quality buck off a bait pile.
    Sounds like deer harvesting to me. Not that it's wrong, and maybe I'm just hung up on what we call it, but it does'nt sound like HUNTING.
    I think duck hunting is about the best way to get a young person interested. Pheasant or rabbit also if that's what your area holds. Sitting in one place for hours on end being silent is not for most youths.
    Last edited by red44; 07-06-2011 at 11:12 PM.
    FBSA Member

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    Do they have any openings?.....
    congratulaions on tha son Bman I know you gotta be happy

If it is legal then it is legal
    does anyone know what the reasons are for not or for it

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Scent free & sittin High vortec 1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    congratulaions on tha son Bman I know you gotta be happy

If it is legal then it is legal
    does anyone know what the reasons are for not or for it
    I'm all for kids being able to bait or someone who can't walk that far(senior or poor health).Here's what I don't like.It alters the deer for there natural travel routes,they become lacksadaisy and don't have to forage for food and move less, they bed 50 yard's from the pile and it become's he who has the biggest bait pile Has all the deer.Then you have the people the don't know the difference between one pail of bait (the law) and a truck load.Now you have the guy who shoots ten deer and tags them with everyone else's tags (Elegal here).What happend to looking for funnels,topo's,bedding/feeding areas,trails and sign??
    Last edited by vortec 1; 07-07-2011 at 09:22 AM.
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

I'm in IL so no and i personally dont like the idea of hunting over bait but do what you gotta do i guess your not gonna make me mad if its legal and you hunt over bait

Quote Originally Posted by vortec 1 View Post
    I'm all for kids being able to bait or someone who can't walk that far(senior or poor health).Here's what I don't like.It alters the deer for there natural travel routes,they become lacksadaisy and don't have to forage for food and move less, they bed 50 yard's from the pile and it become's he who has the biggest bait pile Has all the deer.Then you have the people the don't know the difference between one pail of bait (the law) and a truck load.Now you have the guy who shoots ten deer and tags them with everyone else's tags (Elegal here).What happend to looking for funnels,topo's,bedding/feeding areas,trails and sign??
    Finally someone on the same page as me lol

I never hunt over bait.
    That said, whats the difference? unless you shoot a deer crossing a road or river, they are never more than a few inches from food.

to put it another way, I don't see any difference between the guy that dumps a bucket of corn on the ground, the guy that looks for oak trees, and the guy that plants a food plot. I consider all of it hunting but I don't hunt over a pile of corn. mostly because when I hunt in an oak tree I have to wait two hours after dark to get out of my tree because the deer will not stop eating the acorns and go away. not to mention it is no longer legal in PA special regs area.

For now, this is the "bait" I have to hunt over this season.

Baiting, yes or no - Bowhunting forum