You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Default Baiting, yes or no

Is it allowed where you are? (where)
    Do you bait? Are you OK with it?
    I can't, nor do I want it here in Ma.
    I'm talking feeders...
    FBSA Member

Scent free & sittin High vortec 1's Avatar

Default I'm not for it

It was legal in Michigan then they outlawed it, people still baited.They are about to legalize it again so here come the truck loads of carrots,corn and sugar beets.
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

Feeding is allowed here in MO but has to be removed from the "area" 2 weeks before hunting that "area". Now there is no clear definition to what or how big an "area" is considered. But mineral licks are legal year round as well as salt blocks. I don't really care for the idea of hunting over "bait" but I do hunt close to where my Mineral hole is.

A big NO here in Illinois! In fact, we can't even put out minerals or a salt lick here without serious fines!!! If we want to "bait" here then we have to do it with foodplots.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    A big NO here in Illinois! In fact, we can't even put out minerals or a salt lick here without serious fines!!! If we want to "bait" here then we have to do it with foodplots.
    Illinois is retarted, I dont like the idea of hunting over a bait pile but why not make mineral legal till September or something just for the sake of trail cameras?

Kinda like our stupid orange army regulations, solid blaze only. Because you know someone might mistake breakup blaze to be a game animal, right...
    Be good or be good at it.

Im not big on the baiting idea myself,never done it personally,and never had an issue with harvesting my fair share of wilderness stew either....as the age old phrase goes if it aint broke dont fix it lol.....i do put out a few mineral blocks and salt blocks,but i use livestock blocks not them susposed specially formulated for deer blocks that cabelas and other outdoor companies would like you believe are the best.i use blocks cause they help the deer to maintain a better nutrient level and promote growth,and all out healthier deer.
    Now what i really dont understand,is most of these guys baiting,are using corn........and theyre hunting in or on the edge of a friggn corn field?????either way it just isnt right in my opinion,just a way for some people to make hunting easier for them.whats the point of hunting if theres no challenge?i dont know bout yall,but thats the part i thrive for...being able out smart that animal,in its own natural habitat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    Unless you are the IL DNR then you can bait and use spot lights at night to shoot as many deer as you can find and have unlimited tags. Here's the best part, you even get paid by the tax payers to do this.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Unless you are the IL DNR then you can bait and use spot lights at night to shoot as many deer as you can find and have unlimited tags. Here's the best part, you even get paid by the tax payers to do this.
    Do they have any openings?.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Default every one hunts over bait!

Whether it was put there by GOD or you,you ALL hunt over bait,in some form or another,it could be,you are sitting in an oak grove that is bait,a persimion tree,that is bait a field of soy beans.So what does it matter if you can put a pile of carrots or apples or suger beets out to hunt over,i used to live and hunt in Michigan,and i hunted over piles of corn,carrots and suger beets and it dosent really make it any easier,because you have tha battle of the bait piles going on,he who has the biggest pile wins.At first it works then the deer get smart after getting shot at a few times,then they become knockturnel.
    So dont get all worked up about hunting over bait,we all hunt over bait,wether you put it there or GOD put it there,if it is leagle dont bash it.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

One thing about making baiting legal is it would stop the neighbor who baits his property to mess with hunting adjoining properties.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Quote Originally Posted by dbdcougar View Post
    One thing about making baiting legal is it would stop the neighbor who baits his property to mess with hunting adjoining properties.
    How about making it illegal everywhere. Would'nt that do the same thing? You have to have the balls to drop a dime on your neighbor, but in the long run I think it would help clean up HUNTING.
    FBSA Member

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Nope, making it illegal everywhere wouldn't change anything in regards to the antihunting type who puts bait out to affect his neighber's ability to hunt his own property. I'd be more inclined to allow baiting everywhere. I just don't see baiting as a big deal one way or the other. Most people who are against it live in a state where it's illegal and don't have much experience hunting a state that does allow it. Like I said I hunt KY every year and we normally don't bother putting anything out, it just doesn't make much difference in what we see. The disease issue has pretty well been debunked as well.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Scent free & sittin High vortec 1's Avatar

I've been through this here in Michigan before and they are making it legal again. If you really don't want a challenge and just want to be a shooter ,than go for it!!! Here, you can buy as many tags as you want everyday. It's the shoot everything sindrum so why not make it easy for everyone to just kill all the does and button bucks.Just throw out some C'mere deer shake and bake and it fixes everything.
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

Quote Originally Posted by eliterules View Post
    Whether it was put there by GOD or you,you ALL hunt over bait,in some form or another,it could be,you are sitting in an oak grove that is bait,a persimion tree,that is bait a field of soy beans.So what does it matter if you can put a pile of carrots or apples or suger beets out to hunt over,i used to live and hunt in Michigan,and i hunted over piles of corn,carrots and suger beets and it dosent really make it any easier,because you have tha battle of the bait piles going on,he who has the biggest pile wins.At first it works then the deer get smart after getting shot at a few times,then they become knockturnel.
    So dont get all worked up about hunting over bait,we all hunt over bait,wether you put it there or GOD put it there,if it is leagle dont bash it.
    So why bother with bait at all then?
    Bait is for fishing or trapping. Why not just put a hook in the bait pile and drag him in? You don't see a difference? Seriously?
    FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    So why bother with bait at all then?
    Bait is for fishing or trapping. Why not just put a hook in the bait pile and drag him in? You don't see a difference? Seriously?

So its okay for fish or fur but not deer? I dont understand that Red??

The end result is the same for all three.
    That course was so easy I even missed a target !!

Sponge 4 bowhunting info Where's Bruce?'s Avatar
    South OC, People's Republik of Mexifornistan

Default R U Stoopid or something

Quote Originally Posted by poorman View Post
    So its okay for fish or fur but not deer? I dont understand that Red??

The end result is the same for all three.

His point is that baiting is okay for TRAPPING and FISHING. He is saying it is not okay for HUNTING. Hunting by definition requires active skill sets of pursuit. If you set up a tree standing 15 yards from bait and wait for an animal that's been photographed more than Paris Hilton...you are not hunting. Killing? Ambushing? Harvesting? Yes. Hunting? No.
    Last edited by Where's Bruce?; 08-16-2011 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Bruce? View Post
    His point is that baiting is okay for TRAPPING and FISHING. He is saying it is not okay for HUNTING. Hunting by definition requires active skill sets of pursuit. If you set up a tree standing 15 yards from bait and wait for an animal that's been photographed more than Paris Hilton...you are not hunting. Killing? Ambushing? Harvesting? Yes. Hunting? No.

I know what his point was and I'm saying its flawed as is yours.

I could use the same logic for fishing and or trapping.

Its not fishing if you use a worm and a hook its just catching. JUst throw the line out and reel them in.

Its not real trapping if you use bait. Heck you dont even have to be there to catch them.

See what I mean? To say it is okay for one sport but not the other just doesnt make sense to me.

I believe that if its legal and you want to use bait then go for it. I think its a personal choice and my choice has no bearing on your choice and yours has no bearing on mine.
    That course was so easy I even missed a target !!