You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I live in NW Arkansas and it is legal to bait here. I have hunted over bait, and have hunted over a field of corn and beans. I really don't see what the difference is. Corn in a plowed field or even standing corn is the same corn that is used for bait. If you think that hunting over a pile of corn is a guarantee that you will kill a deer, think again. Yes, you will probably see some deer and probably more than if you were hunting open woods. But you still have to get past their eyes, ears and noses. On top of that, if you are looking to kill a quality buck, odds are that you are not going to see him at a bait pile in the daylight. All the trail camera pictures I have of good bucks are late at night. Daylight brings out the does and young bucks. Once in a while a 2 1/2-year old may show up. I've seen more deer hunting a field of standing or cut/plowed corn than I've seen over a bait pile. For those that feel that hunting over bait is just "harvesting" deer, isn't that the goal for all of us? If it is legal, go for it. Personally, I would rather have a shot at a standing, calm deer than one that is nervous and ready to jump at the smallest sound. If it weren’t legal, I wouldn't do it. But since it is, I'll use it from time to time as another tool to use to put meat in the freezer.

Ohio its legal.

I have put out salt and some corn. THe coons got more of the corn than the deer.

I think its no different than hunting over a food plot. If its legal and you want to do it then go for is my opinion. I dont see it as a bad thing.

I never understood the big deal to be honest.
    That course was so easy I even missed a target !!

Sponge 4 bowhunting info Where's Bruce?'s Avatar
    South OC, People's Republik of Mexifornistan

Default Not hunting

Parking your butt by bait is not hunting, at least, not according to the dictionary:

hunt·ing (hntng)
    n.
    1. The activity or sport of pursuing game.
    2. The act of conducting a search for something: house hunting.

You are neither pursuing or searching for game, you are ambushing it at an artificial food source. That is killing, not hunting. No actual hunting skills required.

I had some options when i decided to hunt bears. Baiting was one of em but for me, shooting an animal that came in to the bait from the same direction, same time everyday for 45 days, wandered off in the same direction and had been photographed more than Paris Hilton...it just didn't feel like a "hunt" to me. More of a shoot. I declined. Went with hounds instead. Not nearly as tough as spot and stalk but a very physical pursuit (straight up) and exhilerating. Next bear will be spot & stalk with a bow.

BEFORE
    Baiting, yes or no - Bowhunting forum

AFTER
    Baiting, yes or no - Bowhunting forum

No baiting or feeding in WI in CDW zones.

Baiting is not allowed in PA. It is allowed in OH and in SC where I have hunted. I don't have a problem with it. However, I think that those who don't bait overestimate the effectiveness of it. It is just another food source. If I sit over an apple tree, or a white oak that is dropping acorns, I am hunting a food source that is probably more effective than a corn pile. In late season, a corn pile will be effective, but most mature bucks will hit it at night in areas with any pressure. I don't begrudge the TX hunter in a box blind over a feeder any more than when I see 150"+ bucks walking around in broad daylight in a food plot on the Lakosky farm.

If its legal where you hunt, you'll see more deer and have a better selection of animals to shoot, Can't see baiting as any differnt than a food plot. Still have to be still and patient, just because theres bait on the ground does'nt mean the all the big bucks in your area will flock to it.
    Visit our web site
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    2 06 Martin Slayers, 63 & 55#s Nitrous C X QuikTune 3000s and HHA OL 5519s on both.
    04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000

The difference to me is a feeder or dumping a corn brings them to a spot. A food plot or an area that has oaks does'nt. (unless your foodplot is a 10x10 area)
    FBSA Member

in MD baiting is legal, and ive hunted or killed over bait, more does than bucks but , if u dont put the bait near deer so they can find it u might as well just feed the squarils, or chipmunks, ground hogs, .now that said in md u can kill 36 deer with out bonus tags , thats twelve per season, bow , muzzleloader, rifle/shotgun, in some countys u can kill 2 bucks per season and unlimited does, they want deer dead period, funny thing is there are deer everywhere, so the dnr is trying to trank some does and give them birth control , thats bs if u ask me, estimated cost per deer is 5 grand . idk what md is thinking but something has to give. bait for kids and old foggies, or when u come to md .

Scent free & sittin High vortec 1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    The difference to me is a feeder or dumping a corn brings them to a spot. A food plot or an area that has oaks does'nt. (unless your foodplot is a 10x10 area)
    x2x2x2x2x2
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

Quote Originally Posted by vortec 1 View Post
    x2x2x2x2x2
    X3 theres a huge difference between a couple acre food plot and a pile twent yards away

Quote Originally Posted by plbowers View Post
    in MD baiting is legal, and ive hunted or killed over bait, more does than bucks but , if u dont put the bait near deer so they can find it u might as well just feed the squarils, or chipmunks, ground hogs, .now that said in md u can kill 36 deer with out bonus tags , thats twelve per season, bow , muzzleloader, rifle/shotgun, in some countys u can kill 2 bucks per season and unlimited does, they want deer dead period, funny thing is there are deer everywhere, so the dnr is trying to trank some does and give them birth control , thats bs if u ask me, estimated cost per deer is 5 grand . idk what md is thinking but something has to give. bait for kids and old foggies, or when u come to md .
    36 deer per year is'nt even comprehensible to me.
    I guess with those kind of deer numbers almost anything goes, they just want rid of them. I can see why baiting would be allowed there. Perhaps some birth control in the feeders.
    FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by plbowers View Post
    How hard is it to get out of state tags. What do they charge for them.

Default every one hunts over bait!

Whether it was put there by GOD or you,you ALL hunt over bait,in some form or another,it could be,you are sitting in an oak grove that is bait,a persimion tree,that is bait a field of soy beans.So what does it matter if you can put a pile of carrots or apples or suger beets out to hunt over,i used to live and hunt in Michigan,and i hunted over piles of corn,carrots and suger beets and it dosent really make it any easier,because you have tha battle of the bait piles going on,he who has the biggest pile wins.At first it works then the deer get smart after getting shot at a few times,then they become knockturnel.
    So dont get all worked up about hunting over bait,we all hunt over bait,wether you put it there or GOD put it there,if it is leagle dont bash it.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

One thing about making baiting legal is it would stop the neighbor who baits his property to mess with hunting adjoining properties.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Quote Originally Posted by eliterules View Post
    Whether it was put there by GOD or you,you ALL hunt over bait,in some form or another,it could be,you are sitting in an oak grove that is bait,a persimion tree,that is bait a field of soy beans.So what does it matter if you can put a pile of carrots or apples or suger beets out to hunt over,i used to live and hunt in Michigan,and i hunted over piles of corn,carrots and suger beets and it dosent really make it any easier,because you have tha battle of the bait piles going on,he who has the biggest pile wins.At first it works then the deer get smart after getting shot at a few times,then they become knockturnel.
    So dont get all worked up about hunting over bait,we all hunt over bait,wether you put it there or GOD put it there,if it is leagle dont bash it.
    So why bother with bait at all then?
    Bait is for fishing or trapping. Why not just put a hook in the bait pile and drag him in? You don't see a difference? Seriously?
    FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by dbdcougar View Post
    One thing about making baiting legal is it would stop the neighbor who baits his property to mess with hunting adjoining properties.
    How about making it illegal everywhere. Would'nt that do the same thing? You have to have the balls to drop a dime on your neighbor, but in the long run I think it would help clean up HUNTING.
    FBSA Member

Nope, making it illegal everywhere wouldn't change anything in regards to the antihunting type who puts bait out to affect his neighber's ability to hunt his own property. I'd be more inclined to allow baiting everywhere. I just don't see baiting as a big deal one way or the other. Most people who are against it live in a state where it's illegal and don't have much experience hunting a state that does allow it. Like I said I hunt KY every year and we normally don't bother putting anything out, it just doesn't make much difference in what we see. The disease issue has pretty well been debunked as well.
    FBSA emertus

Scent free & sittin High vortec 1's Avatar

I've been through this here in Michigan before and they are making it legal again. If you really don't want a challenge and just want to be a shooter ,than go for it!!! Here, you can buy as many tags as you want everyday. It's the shoot everything sindrum so why not make it easy for everyone to just kill all the does and button bucks.Just throw out some C'mere deer shake and bake and it fixes everything.
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

why not make it easy for everyone to just kill all the does and button bucks.
    It does seem to mostly attract little bucks and younger does. That's why I just can't get interested in baiting. Heck I can shoot young deer by accident all by myself, I don't need help! I know of 2 instances where people got in trouble with baiting because they were set up, that's why I'd just as soon see it made legal and forget it.
    FBSA emertus

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    So why bother with bait at all then?
    Bait is for fishing or trapping. Why not just put a hook in the bait pile and drag him in? You don't see a difference? Seriously?

So its okay for fish or fur but not deer? I dont understand that Red??

The end result is the same for all three.
    That course was so easy I even missed a target !!