You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
    mattcarp

Default finding the hot spots !!

i need some advise on how to find the deer on the property i have to hunt. i know there there i have seen deer before killed a few but not like i want to. how do i pattern the deer ? like where there feeding and where there bedding i wanna find the hot spots on the property instead of just setting the trail cam up and getting a few pictures and hunting in that spot

First get a topo map and look for the typical funnels and saddles. Then pick a few of the spots and go and observe the areas. You can also talk to others that have hunted the area. Time in the area is the only way to find them.

Scent free & sittin High vortec 1's Avatar

You can download google Earth for free for topo's. Always think Bedding/feeding areas and set up somewhere between the two(Close to bedding as you can get without spooking them)Don't just set up in a big hardwood's because you cut your chance of them walking by you .I look at topo's before I even go to a property.Funnels are anywhere that the woods narrow or an obstical they have to go around and and would have to walk by you. A deer that's pressured is always going to stay in the cover or use it a back drop as long as he can.A fence line that goes from woods crosses a field to another set of woods and has cover is a funnel (Great Rut Spot, one end or the other).You can set up a stand near a fence that's yours (and I stress your's) and sit on the fence to bend it down and in a couple day's they will cross there once they find it. Also if you have trails that all intersect, that would be a great spot.Also any low ground where they can move without being seen.Stay out of the bedding area at all cost.
    Last edited by vortec 1; 07-29-2011 at 12:26 PM.
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

many times I find that the hardest place to hang a stand is the best place to hunt. Just always seems to work out that way.

I would go and look for game trails. once you find one fallow it. one direction will lead to food the other will lead to bed sites. once you find the feeding area look for other trails. I find the best place to be pre-rut is where two or more trails cross or come together. during the rut in the last 2 weeks of season I move to the heaviest cover near to the feeding site. I think deer like some privacy when they are ready to get down.

I also live in pa, Where you at? I am in 5c east of reading west of king of Prussia.

Ho I almost forgot, the most important thing I do when scouting is to leave no mark. the more you impact the area they are cool with the less chance of a good hunt. I call it the zero impact rule.

mattcarp

today went for a walk in the woods found some really good sign. found a trail followed it to the east and found the bedding areas (even walked up on two small bucks and four doe bedded down ) went in the opp direction and found the food source set up the trail cam ill post some pics if i get any and ohansolo i am in 3c Susquehanna county its about 30 mins north of Scranton thnks for all the help guy

Quote Originally Posted by vortec 1 View Post
    You can download google Earth for free for topo's. Always think Bedding/feeding areas and set up somewhere between the two(Close to bedding as you can get without spooking them)Don't just set up in a big hardwood's because you cut your chance of them walking by you .I look at topo's before I even go to a property.Funnels are anywhere that the woods narrow or an obstical they have to go around and and would have to walk by you. A deer that's pressured is always going to stay in the cover or use it a back drop as long as he can.A fence line that goes from woods crosses a field to another set of woods and has cover is a funnel (Great Rut Spot, one end or the other).You can set up a stand near a fence that's yours (and I stress your's) and sit on the fence to bend it down and in a couple day's they will cross there once they find it. Also if you have trails that all intersect, that would be a great spot.Also any low ground where they can move without being seen.Stay out of the bedding area at all cost.
    Good stuff

ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1316415066.802827.jpg

do you guys see any funnels or anything here. As to where to place a stand There are plenty of deer in the area at the top of the pic is the top of a hill which backs to a conservation area along with to the right of the barn. Any advice would be great mom and I are gonna be moving one stand and putting in another

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Thumbs up

I'd set up just near the giant magnifer glass it'll make'm easier to see comming LOL or otherwise next to the giant compass that way you won't get to lost LOLgreat photo though and welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtech_44 View Post
    ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1316415066.802827.jpg

do you guys see any funnels or anything here. As to where to place a stand There are plenty of deer in the area at the top of the pic is the top of a hill which backs to a conservation area along with to the right of the barn. Any advice would be great mom and I are gonna be moving one stand and putting in another

Can you shoot a pic of your property and more of the surounding area's to get a better look at what's going on? And is that all hardwoods?
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

Yea its all hardwoods And that's all for this property not a whole lot. But I have family 5 miles away with more

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtech_44 View Post
    Yea its all hardwoods And that's all for this property not a whole lot. But I have family 5 miles away with more

With it being all hardwoods the challenge is to consistantly get them in range because they can cut across anywhere.I would scout and see if there are any thick areas in that hard woods or heavy traveled trails and set up there.I would also look at sitting near the boardering conservation area's. If your property is fenced, set up near cover and near a spot along the fence and bend the fence down and you've created your own funnel.

Default big game logic

There is a free site I use that allows you to create camps for each of your hunting areas and use satellite and topo maps to track deer movement. You can import trail cam pictures or just mark sightings from hunts and journals and the site will automatically pull weather data and moon phase. You can use this to predict deer movement. You can keep the camp private to only your camp members and share your data.

The site is www.biggamelogic.com

I myself find the "Sun" to be a very hot spot how about you????
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.