You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: bear hunters

Hybrid View

Default bear hunters

I am going bear hunting this year for the first time and I have a few questions that I thought you guys could help me with in the event that I am lucky.

I will want to have a rug made but am unsure how to skin it for that purpose. I never have another process my meat, to me that is part of the hunt, something I owe the animal and something I enjoy. I can cape buck for the mount but I have never done a bear. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I fear that I may have no choice but to hand the hole thing over to a taxidermist.

Here's a great site for bear hunting.
    http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?board=33.0
    Do a search for taxidermist, 1st link on that page will be for a bear rug.
    http://hunting-washington.com/smf/in...action=search2
    Good luck on taking a bear, hope you find a big one, slightly smaller than mine!

Here's the guy I'm trying to get in my bowsights.

bear hunters - Bowhunting forum
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 08-02-2011 at 02:08 PM.
    Visit our web site
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    2 06 Martin Slayers, 63 & 55#s Nitrous C X QuikTune 3000s and HHA OL 5519s on both.
    04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000

Scent free & sittin High vortec 1's Avatar

Go to youtube and type (skinning a bear) and you'll find what your looking for
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

Sponge 4 bowhunting info Where's Bruce?'s Avatar
    South OC, People's Republik of Mexifornistan

Default Go Taxi

Black skins are easily ruined, especially in wet conditions. The meat sucks, don't be surprised if you end up tossing it after stinking up your home cooking it and your dogs reject it. With proper skinning and tanning...you'll end up with a primo rug that will last a long time.

I heard bear brats were pretty good. Never had them myself. Was told if you mix the meat with pork it wasn't to bad. How did you have your bear meat prepared Bruce. Whole mucle,ground,or cut through the bone?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohansolo View Post
    I am going bear hunting this year for the first time and I have a few questions that I thought you guys could help me with in the event that I am lucky.

I will want to have a rug made but am unsure how to skin it for that purpose. I never have another process my meat, to me that is part of the hunt, something I owe the animal and something I enjoy. I can cape buck for the mount but I have never done a bear. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I fear that I may have no choice but to hand the hole thing over to a taxidermist.
    Here in Australia the hardest part of skinning a bear is convincing the koalas to come down out of the trees!! Koalas only move very slowly once their on the ground,from then on the rest is easy!!(LOL) I love Koalas they taste great!!

Elkslayer Great links, thanks. What a bruiser you got there.

Bruce, Beautiful rug man. That's bad @ss. I never had anyone tell me that the meat was that bad I guess I'll give it a shot, of Tabasco that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohansolo View Post
    Elkslayer Great links, thanks. What a bruiser you got there. Bruce, Beautiful rug man. That's bad @ss. I never had anyone tell me that the meat was that bad I guess I'll give it a shot, of Tabasco that is.
    Yeah he is, now if he'd just coperate and pose for me , slightly quartering away, I'll give him a nice spot in front of the fireplace.
    I think that we hear that bear meat tastes bad, because they need to be cooed out as fast as possible, they've got all that fat, under a heavy fur coat, and unless you get the meat cooling asap, you get bone sour. Have eaten bear only once, a bear stew, and really liked it. Am eagar to give it another try, and I'll let you know.
    Visit our web site
    2 06 Martin Slayers, 63 & 55#s Nitrous C X QuikTune 3000s and HHA OL 5519s on both.

Default Yuck

My bear had a bellyful of black berries, pears and apples. The season was 90 days longer in 2010 than usual. I shot him the day after the 1st snow of the season so he was plump and immediately skinned (very cold day) and hung in the locker. Didn't matter. Every cut was awful except the backstrap which I slow cooked in beer and used a lot of seasoning and BBQ sauce on. Very disappointing ground and prime cuts all sucked.

This is his other pic.

[IMG]bear hunters - Bowhunting forum [/IMG]

Default Bear Raids Camp

[QUOTE=Where's Bruce?;297572]My bear had a bellyful of black berries, pears and apples. The season was 90 days longer in 2010 than usual. I shot him the day after the 1st snow of the season so he was plump and immediately skinned (very cold day) and hung in the locker. Didn't matter. Every cut was awful except the backstrap which I slow cooked in beer and used a lot of seasoning and BBQ sauce on. Very disappointing ground and prime cuts all sucked.

Did you leave the fat on? Bear meat is full of fat, and you need to remove most of it. Just sayin.....

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/in...c,80851.0.html
    Visit our web site