You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default How to get started in Westchester, NY?

I've been interested in archery for a long time, and I'm finally ready take the plunge. How can I seek out instruction in Westchester, NY?

A sporting goods store salesman told me to buy a bow & then just let some arrows loose in the back yard at whatever has the misfortune of meeting my aim. But (1) that seems like a good way to build up bad habits, and (2) I don't even know whether it's legal to shoot in one's own back yard in Westchester.

I'm assuming that I need to get instruction, and if you could make some recommendations in my area, I'd much appreciate it. (I looked up places via Google, but I just can't tell the quality.) It would be nice if the course provides equipment, but I can make a modest investment. Family-friendly would be a plus. After a few months maybe I'll get a sense how much I like archery, and how much I want to spend on it.

I gather that there are different styles and applications. I don't know eventually which direction I want to go in. (Probably not hunting, because I tend to end up prey to mosquitoes in the woods.) So I suppose I'm looking to build strong fundamentals that will serve me well in different disciplines. The satisfaction of hitting the mark would be nice, too.

Thanks for your help!!

The best thing I can tell you is try to find a local club or local archery shop visit the all if you can pick the one you like best talk to them as much as possible ask all the ?'s you can think of local shops should let you try out equipment before you buy and can fit you see if they give instruction talk to as many if the shop shooters as you can and buy what feels good and what you over what people tell you you should be shooting. Good luck and much fun you will love it no matter what you choose be it traditional compound they are all fun and shooting in the back yard if you live in the city don't think so but call the local Sheriff or city police. Local are better than the big box stores for the most part not always but generally. Don't want to make anybody mad with that last comment

---
    - KW
    2010 Pearson Pro Staff www.archeryprostaff.com
    2010 Legend, Advantage
    bohning shooting staff
    vapor trail staff
    tru ball staff, specialty archery staff

Sponge 4 bowhunting info Where's Bruce?'s Avatar
    South OC, People's Republik of Mexifornistan

Default Well

There bound to be a bow shop that sells used bows, has demo bows and has a range so you can try a variety models before selecting one to purchase. Go get measured, play with several bows and then buy the one that feels best. After just a few lessons you will see I big improvement. Get your form down, find your sweet spot and enjoy. Try to explain to the bow shop guys what you like and dislike about each bow...this will assist in directing to the one that best suits you. I like a deep valley and 65lb draw but you may prefer something very different. The type of bow you buy also depends on the type of shooting you intend to do. Hunting, 3d or target.
    11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8 Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver w/ riser-mounted Stealth Cam EPIC videocamera.

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Bruce? View Post
    There bound to be a bow shop that sells used bows, has demo bows and has a range so you can try a variety models before selecting one to purchase. Go get measured, play with several bows and then buy the one that feels best. After just a few lessons you will see I big improvement. Get your form down, find your sweet spot and enjoy. Try to explain to the bow shop guys what you like and dislike about each bow...this will assist in directing to the one that best suits you. I like a deep valley and 65lb draw but you may prefer something very different. The type of bow you buy also depends on the type of shooting you intend to do. Hunting, 3d or target.
    I got the addresses of some pro shops in my area. So I have a starting point. If you guys could help me with a few more questions, I'd feel more confident walking into a shop without wondering whether I'm going to walk out with stuff/lesson packages I don't need:

-- How much should I expect to pay for instruction?
    -- How many hours of instruction do I need before I can go on my own? You said "a few lessons." Is that a few hours, or are we talking about a few weekends (say, 32 hours?).

For FIREARMS, I had little trouble locating courses (the basic NRA variety as well as defensive and competitive shooting). But for some reason, I can't find archery classes that easily.

I assume each archer develops and his equipment preferences develop with him. With pistol, I starting out thinking I liked Springfield XDs, until I started shooting a 1911. And the rest is a long love affair.

Thanks!

Coat will very if you find an actual coach. And depends on how many times you go till you feel comfortable going on your own if they are respectable folks they won't rip you off there is a lot to shooting a bow but get the basics and then trial and error what works for one person might not work for the other

KW
    2010 Pearson Pro Staff www.archeryprostaff.com
    2010 Legend, Advantage
    bohning shooting staff
    vapor trail staff
    tru ball staff, specialty archery staff