You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default I have broadheads tuned but!

My broadheads ( slick tricks) are shooting the same as field points at 20 yds. But as I step back to 40 and 60 yds broadheads are shooting 4 and 8 inches lower than field points. I have years of experience tuning my bow but this one is starting to irratate me. I'm shooting whiskerbiscuit which I know is a little backwaeds and I've moved my nock in both directions?????

Default Read this review

Perhaps Bohning can help you with your broadhead tuning issues. Here is today's review on 3D Shoots.

ditch the biscuit, get a drop away.
    Archerytalk, Helping Sponsors fleece novice Archers since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Compound Comedian View Post
    ditch the biscuit, get a drop away.
    I used to say that too, until I got smoked by a buddy of mine with a whisker biscuit who came 2nd in the provincial 3D tourney. If the whisker works for you stick with it.

thats the point, it aint workin. Are you usn a biscuit, no. Also, are you sure your field tips are the same grains as your heads?
    Archerytalk, Helping Sponsors fleece novice Archers since 2001.

I've shot the biscuit for around 7 years no problem, Same bow for 10 years same field points, only difference was I had the shop to twist cable to time it. Matthews MQ1.

Default How about trying a few things first before you buy something else.

I tell my students, who have tuning issues, either in target shooting or hunting scenarios to not just go out and buy new archery kit because someone tells them to.

If an archer is to get experience, he or she needs to know all the aspects of their bow setup.

There is for the most part and easy fix to try first, once tried, if it still doesn't work, then buy, but if all possible try different kit if you can to see what works before you buy it.

Two things you can do, ask a Buddy to fire your broadhead arrows and see if he too gets the same results, then it could be arrow spine issues, if his setup fires your broadheads out to 40 yards with no problem, then go and borrow a different rest than the one you are using, ask a buddy to borrow his rest to try, and if your broadheads still hit low, I would check your sight setup.

As you say you have experience tuning your bow, you should be able to do this no problem.

If all things being equal (Field Points and Broadheads being equal weight) it may be your sight axis. Sight axis issues usually crop up at distances longer than 20 yards. I would check the 2nd, 3rd axis on your sights before outlaying cash on a new rests. On another issue 60 yards is a tad far for hunting, ethically and accurately. You should know the average shot where game is taken is usually around 30 yards, when stalking.

So ask a friend to shoot your arrows, and or swap rests with him, You have nothing to lose borrowing a rest and trying it out.

Many archers make the mistake of outlaying cash for archery kit instead of exploring all avenues first.

As for CC, well clearly his immediate response to "Drop the Biscuit, get a drop away", once again shows inexperience, by those who offer no suggestions or real solutions why a drop away is better than a whisker biscuit, but to spout blindly to go out and spend buy the latest and greatest.

People like that are a boon to Archery Manufacturers who count on inexperienced archers as their bread and butter.
    Last edited by Barry O'Regan; 09-08-2011 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    I've shot the biscuit for around 7 years no problem, Same bow for 10 years same field points, only difference was I had the shop to twist cable to time it. Matthews MQ1.
    Have someone recheck that timing....cam lean...ect. If they were flying well before the twisting I'm betting something isn't just so.........Good luck and let us know what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Regan View Post
    I tell my students, who have tuning issues, either in target shooting or hunting scenarios to not just go out and buy new archery kit because someone tells them to.

If an archer is to get experience, he or she needs to know all the aspects of their bow setup.

There is for the most part and easy fix to try first, once tried, if it still doesn't work, then buy, but if all possible try different kit if you can to see what works before you buy it.

Two things you can do, ask a Buddy to fire your broadhead arrows and see if he too gets the same results, then it could be arrow spine issues, if his setup fires your broadheads out to 40 yards with no problem, then go and borrow a different rest than the one you are using, ask a buddy to borrow his rest to try, and if your broadheads still hit low, I would check your sight setup.

As you say you have experience tuning your bow, you should be able to do this no problem.

If all things being equal (Field Points and Broadheads being equal weight) it may be your sight axis. Sight axis issues usually crop up at distances longer than 20 yards. I would check the 2nd, 3rd axis on your sights before outlaying cash on a new rests. On another issue 60 yards is a tad far for hunting, ethically and accurately. You should know the average shot where game is taken is usually around 30 yards, when stalking.

So ask a friend to shoot your arrows, and or swap rests with him, You have nothing to lose borrowing a rest and trying it out.

Many archers make the mistake of outlaying cash for archery kit instead of exploring all avenues first.

As for CC, well clearly his immediate response to "Drop the Biscuit, get a drop away", once again shows inexperience, by those who offer no suggestions or real solutions why a drop away is better than a whisker biscuit, but to spout blindly to go out and spend buy the latest and greatest.

People like that are a boon to Archery Manufacturers who count on inexperienced archers as their bread and butter.

I think you stumbled onto the wrong site....................take your digs back to AT.