You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fletching jigs

Default Fletching jigs

What do you recomend for fletching jig to replace my old grayling???:noidea:Love those 4" quikspins so it's got to be a straight set!!!!

You cant beat the Bitzenburger jig, I would suggest getting one and buying a Firenock clamp. The Firenock straight clamp is designed in a way that will allow it to wrap around the tail on the back of the vane. This combo will do an excellent job for you. This combo will cost you less than $100 to $110.

I will take this response just a tat further and give opinions on a variety of jigs in case others are looking for jigs as well.

Currently the absolute best jig on the market is the way overbuilt Firenock Jig, and I do mean overbuilt. This thing is the Rolls Royce of jigs it is a highly precision tool with the strongest magnets I have ever seen on a fletching jig! But it comes at a premium, you can have upwards of 800.00 in a single jig if you decide to buy every option available.

The ole standard that has stood the test of time is the bitzenburger jig, until the Firenock Jig hit the market the Bitz was the best available. It does a great job on most fletching jobs but you cant get a true 3 degree helical with a 2 in vane.

From here you have a ton of home shop grade jigs such as the Bohing Helix, Tower, Arizona Ez Fletcher, grayling etc. all are good jigs for the home shop and wont break the bank. The best two for 2 in vanes would be the Helix or Ez Fletcher, you can get a really radical helical using either of these.

In our proshop we use Bitzenburger jigs for about 80% of our fletching, 15% with Bohning Helix (customer requested) and about 5% with the Firenock jigs. The Firenock jigs were purchased to handle vanes such as Duravane Fusion Vanes. It holds them tight to the shafts producing a more uniform fletching job.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

I use a Bitz as well; no complaints.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Default +1

hard to beat a Bitzenburger.........but if you looking for cheap the Bohing does a great job too.

The Grayling is a cheap clone of the all metal Bitz. So if your familiar with that....There is a clamp for pretty much any type fletch and Zenith releases makes a hi end nock reciever. Easily converts to 3-4 fletch.
    There are so many toy jigs out now. The Bitz is a tool and I mean that in a good way. If you keep , it ill be handed down or sold at auction when you die.
    Archerytalk, Helping Sponsors fleece novice Archers since 2001.

Thank-You All

Bohning make a nice fletching jig to fit your bill.
    What's wrong with your Grayling, they are a pretty good jig for the purpose you require?
    Bohning Archery-Pro Field Staff
    Hoyt ProElite 3000 (Fita) Hoyt ProElite 2000 (3D), Martin Cougar Magnum (Fingers), ChekMate Recurve (Traditional) Trophy Ridge Sights, Axcel Sights, Bernardini and Tru Ball Release, Bohning Blazers, X-Shield Cut Vanes, Tru-Flight -Gateway Feathers, Hephaestus Stabilisers

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Regan View Post
    Bohning make a nice fletching jig to fit your bill.
    What's wrong with your Grayling, they are a pretty good jig for the purpose you require?
    Nothing just got a few bucksa hole in my pocket and I want to keep up with the jonesWanted to know what else is out there at the momentWhat model Bohning would you recommend????

if you like plastic tools, Bohning makes a couple models I believe

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Nothing just got a few bucksa hole in my pocket and I want to keep up with the jonesWanted to know what else is out there at the momentWhat model Bohning would you recommend????
    Well if you are looking for just a straight fletch tool, Bohning has a complete fletching jig that does it all, especially if you decide in the future to go in another direction (Helical,Feathers etc) What I love about the Bohning Jig is the ability to fletch all three vanes at once with all three vanes exactly positioned around the shaft.

I prefer it to a single vane jig, as the faster I can fletch my arrows, the more time I can be on the range shooting.

Here is the link to this Bohning jig.

Like I said this jig does it all and do it all at once!

Bohning's Complete Tower System besides fletching 3 vanes of almost any size in any three configurations at once. The Bohning Jig comes with 3 sets of arms: 3 Helical for up to 2.25" vanes, 2 Offset to fletch up to 4" vanes, and Straight for up to 4" vanes. This sytem offers 5 center post options: Standard Carbon(.240 id), A-Nock(.201 id), F-Nock(.164 id), Xbow Bolts and pin nocks.

Yes, it is plastic construction as Compound Comedian states, but it is sturdy and well made, one feature with the Bohning Jig unlike metal clamps, excess glue peels off instantly with your fingernail versus a dull knife used to scrape off excess glue off metal clamps.

For $83.99, and the Convenience Bohning's Jig offers I own one and love it over my Bitz, Grayling, Arizona E-Z fletch and Jo Jo Jans.

I have written a review on the Bohning Jig and the how to's in this Forum. As you can see it is pretty easy to use and great for large to small diameter shafts.
    Last edited by Barry O'Regan; 09-17-2011 at 07:06 AM.
    Hoyt ProElite 3000 (Fita) Hoyt ProElite 2000 (3D), Martin Cougar Magnum (Fingers), ChekMate Recurve (Traditional) Trophy Ridge Sights, Axcel Sights, Bernardini and Tru Ball Release, Bohning Blazers, X-Shield Cut Vanes, Tru-Flight -Gateway Feathers, Hephaestus Stabilisers

Thumbs up Thanks Barry

Thanks Barry thats sure some nice gearI was reading your blog on Arrow spine consistency,tunning for tighter groups on the Aussie archery forum and I'd back you all the way alot of guys down here think they invented Bow hunting and show alot of attitude and their way to serious so let me just sayon behalf of Brenton and the other Wankers on this site!!!They need to get a grip and take good advice when it's offered.Hope to see ya back there real soon and go the GT's they do the trick for me everytime but then I don't have a shooting machineCan you tell me who's got these maybe Bulleye????These wouldn't be avaliable down under thats one thing for sure!!!!
    Last edited by Westy; 09-17-2011 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Compound Comedian View Post
    if you like plastic tools, Bohning makes a couple models I believe
    Thats not me you've got me mixed up with my brothers
    Am I Bad????????

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Thanks Barry that's sure some nice gearI was reading your blog on Arrow spine consistency,tuning for tighter groups on the Aussie archery forum and I'd back you all the way a lot of guys down here think they invented Bow hunting and show a lot of attitude and their way to serious so let me just sayon behalf of Brenton and the other Wankers on this site!!!They need to get a grip and take good advice when it's offered.Hope to see ya back there real soon and go the GT's they do the trick for me everytime but then I don't have a shooting machineCan you tell me who's got these maybe Bulleye????These wouldn't be available down under that's one thing for sure!!!!
    Thanks for the kind words Westy, I let most of those negative comments roll off my back, as they are definitely not the audience I want reading my reviews anyway. Clearly those very, very few are the types who feel they are the Worlds Best Archers in their own mind and know absolutely everything.

By the way the owner of that other Aussie forum saw their comments and gave them a talking to telling them basically they were morons. Others who enjoy what I post in my reviews are like you and give my reviews a thumbs up!

The shooting machine you refer to is my Chrony, made in Canada, it is around or less than $300.00 Canadian dollars Shooting Chrony This includes the remote trigger, software to plug into your computer etc. The basic model is around $200.00. All Chrony's are metal housing and compact, certainly a great machine. I will call them in a few minutes and see if they have a store in Australia and get back to you on this thread.

In the meantime here is a photo of the chrony I use, disregard the text, that was from a review I did on increasing arrow speed by adding brass nocks to your lower and upper bow string.

The chrony comes with 4 steel rods to shoot the arrows through, I prefer to use plastic drinking straws in case your arrow whack one of the steel rods which could crack the plastic chrony electronics inside the steel box.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Barry O'Regan; 09-17-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Default Good News Westy

Shooting Chrony has quite a few Australian and New Zealand distributors you can contact.

Workshop Innovation in New Zealand has Chrono's like mine for.

List Price: $279.95
    Price: $239.95
    191.96 AUD

Their website states the following:

Your Shooting Chrony Beta Chronograph is light and portable to go with you every where. Just unfold, mount on tripod or place on table, insert diffusers (if needed) and shoot in less than 2 minutes. Beta model gives High, Low and Average Velocities, Extreme Spread and Standard Deviation plus Retrieve Individual Shot Velocities and Statistics. Has 60 shot Permanent Memory plus Many more features.

Uses a single 9V battery (not included) with 48hrs continuous use.

AUSTRALIA

Shooting Chronograph Wholesale
    PO Box 521 Manjimup, West Australia 6258

Horsley Park Gun Shop
    1848 The Horsley Drive Horsley Park NSW 2164 AUSTRALIA
    (Tel) 02 9620 1313
    (Fax) 02 9620 1449
    (E-mail) sales@hpgs.biz
    (Web) www.hpgs.biz

Raytrade
    PO Box 50 Mentone Victoria 3194 AUSTRALIA
    (Tel) 03 9706 5936
    (Fax) 03 9706 5805

Aqusport
    2/20 Expansion Street, Ashmore 4214 Queensland AUSTRALIA
    (Tel) 07 564 6464
    (Fax) 07 5564 6468
    (Web) www.aqusport.com

Progress Equipment
    178 Star Street Carlisle, Perth WA 6101 AUSTRALIA
    (Tel) 61 8 9472 3062
    (Fax) 61 8 9472 3014
    (Web) www.progressequipment.com.au

NEW ZEALAND

MagAir - Morrinsville
    (Tel) 07 887 6806
    (Fax) 07 887 6719
    (E-mail) info@magair.co.nz
    (Web) www.magair.co.nz

Reloaders Supply
    12 Newsome Street Onehunga Auckland NEW ZEALAND
    (Tel) 64 9 636 5407
    (Fax) 64 9 634 0267
    (Web) www.reloaders.co.nz

Workshop Innovation Ltd.
    NEW ZEALAND
    (Tel) 642-189-3094
    (E-mail) info@workshopinnovation.co.nz
    (Web) www.workshopinnovation.co.nz
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Barry O'Regan; 09-17-2011 at 12:57 PM.

How much does Bohning pay you an hour?

Quote Originally Posted by Compound Comedian View Post
    How much does Bohning pay you an hour?
    I do not know of any Pro Field Staffers and Staff Shooters who get a salary, do you?

Chrony is not a Bohning Product, if this is what you are commenting on and if you bothered to read my other reviews you would know many of them are non Bohning Products. So what your comment has to do with this thread, is beyond me!

At least it's obvious you aren't making a paid gig as a comedian or archery, cause man, you are obviously letting all of us here know you are pretty bad at both.
    Last edited by Barry O'Regan; 09-17-2011 at 02:39 PM.

I know, its why I get such a kick out of walking billboards. I just cant see replacing a piece of plastic with another piece of plastic.

Stop it boys!!!!!All this hate over a flecthing Jig WoW now shake hands and play nice!!!! Thanks Barry for all the info you've provided here awesome M8 going to be ringin around on monday to get a few prices,Many thanks Westy.

alot of guys like the blitz's but i hated the 2 i had i gave both away (to 2 guys in archery but did not have alot of $)and bought a 6 fletch jojan i love that thing the blitz doesn't even compare at least to me

Red. PSE Supra ME
    Black. PSE Supra ME

I've tried several jigs and haven't found anything I like more than the Bitz. However, I'll admit that the Bohning Tower looks interesting and I'd like to try it.