You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Question About Shafts

Hi all. I am a new hunter. My Uncle is helping me get setup and get the right equipment. I have a question regarding shafts. He told me to get Gold Tip XT Hunter 55/75. My question is, what does the 55/75 mean. I have looked at stuff online and saw different numbers. I am trying to learn everything I can so maybe I can pass it on to my son. Thanks.

Good shaft, you can save more money and get the Gold Tip " Expedition" grade same shaft , cheaper grade. 55/75 means up to 75# with a short draw and up to 55 # for a long draw, not exact for everyone, the spine is 400 and you should be ablre to match your set up on the Gold Tip website spine chart, the 7595 is a 340 spine.
    Archerytalk, Helping Sponsors fleece novice Archers since 2001.

This means your uncle has very good taste!!!!He obviously knows his stuff just keep on listening to him!!! And also

I hope he does, LOL. Hes known on here as Daniel Boone. I just dont want to bog him down with all the questions all the time. Thanks for the info.

Tell him to stop being a stranger. Hunting season is about on us and I like his pics from the stand.
    FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    Tell him to stop being a stranger. Hunting season is about on us and I like his pics from the stand.
    X2 well said he is a wealth of info.
    Z7 Extreme, Ripcord, TR Alfa V5, Smooth Stability and G5 Montecs

i was almost scared to open this thread with a subject title like that

Red. PSE Supra ME
    Black. PSE Supra ME

Quote Originally Posted by thutchings View Post
    I hope he does, LOL. Hes known on here as Daniel Boone. I just dont want to bog him down with all the questions all the time. Thanks for the info.
    Listen carefully to him. He knows what he's talking about and has learned from some great archers. And don't worry about bogging him down by asking him archery questions. It seems to be something he likes talking about.

The 55/75 number refers to the spine of the arrow. Spine is how much an arrow bends when it's shot. (technically: frequency and amplitude of oscillation). Static spine is a measure of how much an arrow bends when a 1.94 pound weight is hung on a arrow that spans a distance of 28". Dynamic spine is a lot more complicated and there is no single measurement for it. The complicating factor is that there is not always a good relationship between dynamic and static spine.

Different manufacturers list the spine of their arrows differently. Some list the actual measurement, some use an arbitrary number, some like GT use a number related to the draw weight it is intended for.

Spine isn't quite rocket science, but it's pretty close. Fortunately for new archers, you don't have to understand it completely. Compound bows will shoot most carbon arrow spines pretty well. There is an optimal spine for every setup, and the closer you get to that, the better. But you won't realize the benefits of perfect spine until you get a lot better.

For now, just go by what DB tells you.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Listen carefully to him. He knows what he's talking about and has learned from some great archers. And don't worry about bogging him down by asking him archery questions. It seems to be something he likes talking about.

The 55/75 number refers to the spine of the arrow. Spine is how much an arrow bends when it's shot. (technically: frequency and amplitude of oscillation). Static spine is a measure of how much an arrow bends when a 1.94 pound weight is hung on a arrow that spans a distance of 28". Dynamic spine is a lot more complicated and there is no single measurement for it. The complicating factor is that there is not always a good relationship between dynamic and static spine.

Different manufacturers list the spine of their arrows differently. Some list the actual measurement, some use an arbitrary number, some like GT use a number related to the draw weight it is intended for.

Spine isn't quite rocket science, but it's pretty close. Fortunately for new archers, you don't have to understand it completely. Compound bows will shoot most carbon arrow spines pretty well. There is an optimal spine for every setup, and the closer you get to that, the better. But you won't realize the benefits of perfect spine until you get a lot better.

For now, just go by what DB tells you.

Allen
    What Allen said