You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Go Big?

Hybrid View

Default Go Big?

I always loved shooting archery as a kid. The question is, do I go balls out, and buy a HOYT Carbon Element? A CRX 32? These bows look MEAN as all HELL. The two questions I have are: Shouldn't I just buy once, and buy right? and if I did, would this be like a freshman taking a hooker to prom?

I haven't shot in about 25 years, so I am WAAAAY out of the game. My intentions are, target practice, turkey and deer hunting, and survival, should the zombies attack and I run out of ammo (Though me running out of ammo is not likely.... heh)

Basically, my wife says NO ! You're crazy !! I just need someone on here to tell me YES !! You're crazy NOT TO BUY IT !! Back me up fellas....

Also... I am in the Wallingford CT area. Just looking for some shout outs... and tips before I do any locale research for hands on shopping and ranges.

THANKS !

Scent free & sittin High vortec 1's Avatar

Default Welcome to the site!!

First off you will get many opinions on here about which brand of bow to buy. Most manufacture's make nice bow's today with a lot of similarities. The bow has to fit you. I look at eye appeal, weight and shortness first then if that passes then I check the draw cycle (how smoth it draws back)and also look at the brace height(distance between riser at ledge and string) and how forgiving the bow is. The faster the bow is the less forgiving it is in most cases. Don't be concerned with speed at this time. A 1500.00 dollar bow won't kill any better than a 200.00 dollar bow if it doesn’t fit you.Take your time and go to many pro shop's and shoot many bows before you buy one.

HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

Vortec... Good advice. I suppose I didn't give much thought to fit. Heck, my first and only bow was a fiberglass kids job, that someone in magic marker wrote "Robin Hood" on....

I have been doing a little looking, and Martin seems to make a nice bow,
    and for something totally different Onieda (??) looks SUPER cool, but a bit cumbersome, and kind of complicated.

I need to find a place via the internet, in Connecticut, that is a real archery store. Cabellas seems to only stock Fred Bear.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Anthony

What part of Michigan are you from? Are you a You-per? haha

Go and get yourself something that has a nice draw cycle and set the poundage down to start with.It'll take some time for your body to get bow fit again (after 25 years)and once this happens you can shoot anything you like.if you don't like the fit and the feel of your new toy then you aren't going to want to use it and a $1500.00 bow will make a nice wall hanging and the misses will remind you everytime she see's it how much it cost!As we get older the Aim of the game is to enjoy yourself and kick the little punks a$$es every chance we get!!!!LOL

All I have to say is.... HOYT Alpha Elite.... WOW. That is a seriously nice bow.
    Blacked out. WOW. I found Halls Arrow here in Middlefield Connecticut, and I hope to get up there soon.

Ant, your situation sounds almost exactly like mine! Fiberglass 30# bow when I was a kid (way back!), and trying to figure out what to get on limited budget. One of my problems has been the time and distance it takes to try out different bows. One shop will have only Bowtech, another shop only PSE, etc. For me, closest Hoyt dealer is about 70 miles away, so I have not seen a Hoyt bow yet. Keep us posted on what you decide.