You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Default how many here process their own deer

I love doing my own butchering and I thought maybe I am not the only one. I know there are many ways to do it and thought maybe we could all pitch in a few of our little ticks of the trade.

I have one trick that some may find useful and that is to remove all meet before dealing with the bladder and colon. last year when helping a friend with his deer I saw him try to remove the bladder before we hung the deer up. I don't know if this is common but I skin it and remove all meet hanging below it, shoulders tenderloins neck meet and back straps before I even touch the bladder. in other words when I do the colon and bladder the only thing left hanging is the rear hips.

anyone do anything that they think makes things easier or faster.

Scent free & sittin High vortec 1's Avatar

Default I do my own too!!

I drag my deer at least 75 yards from my stand and start at the rib cage and cut all the way to the colon then split the butt bone then reach up all the way to the wind pipe and cut it and pull everything out by the windpipe.Then I flip it over and let the blood drain.I let it hang for three day's head down which tenderizes the meat.I remove the backstraps first then the front leg's then I slice from the tail bone and follow each leg bone all the way around to the tarsel gland and remove each hind quarter with no bone in any of it. Once in the house I remove all the renit (silver lineing) then I cut it into steaks,jerkey strips and a sausage pile.
    Last edited by vortec 1; 10-05-2011 at 10:59 PM.
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

Quote Originally Posted by vortec 1 View Post
    I drag my deer at least 75 yards from my stand and start at the rib cage and cut all the way to the colon then split the butt bone then reach up all the way to the wind pipe and cut it and pull everything out by the windpipe.Then I flip it over and let the blood drain.I let it hang for three day's head down which tenderizes the meat.I remove the backstraps first then the front leg's then I slice from the tail bone and follow each leg bone all the way around to the tarsel gland and remove each hind quarter with no bone in any of it. Once in the house I remove all the renit (silver lineing) then I cut it into steaks,jerkey strips and a sausage pile.

I follow just about the same process.....I like to let them hang for at least a week if temp is right.

you guys skin then let hang or just let hang?

thinking about trying that. have herd of people doing that with deer. I know that it is standard with beef.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohansolo View Post
    you guys skin then let hang or just let hang?

thinking about trying that. have herd of people doing that with deer. I know that it is standard with beef.
    I don't skin em ti'll the day I butcher him. keeps the flies off the meat if its warm out and keeps the meat from drying out.
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

I usually process my deer myself. Usually just hang it up, skin it, and then i start with the backstrap. Take off the front shoulders next and then saw off the hind quarters. I usually just butterfly the backstrap. And cut hinds into some steaks and then cube the rest for sausage or hamburger.

Bowtech Destroyer 340
    30" draw, 65#, 332 fps
    GoldTip XT's

So...does this effect the meat? And what should the temperature be to leave them hanging outside?

Bowtech Destroyer 340
    30" draw, 65#, 332 fps
    GoldTip XT's

I'm just curious how letting them hang for a couple days tenderizes the meat ?

Quote Originally Posted by killbambidead View Post
    I'm just curious how letting them hang for a couple days tenderizes the meat ?
    I don't know all the in's and out's but basicly bacteria break down and loosen the muscle fibers so in effect tenderizing the meat.

9 days under 40 degree's but above 32 is perfect for hanging meat.

If the temp is right around 40 I'll pull the hide off, if flies are a worry I quarter it out and put it in a fridge. If temp is closer to 32 and falling under at night I leave the hide on which will keep it from freezing.

I pretty much do it like the rest here,but i dont let it hang i just cut it up and in freezer it goes.
    2010 PSE AXE 7

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    I don't know all the in's and out's but basicly bacteria break down and loosen the muscle fibers so in effect tenderizing the meat.

9 days under 40 degree's but above 32 is perfect for hanging meat.

If the temp is right around 40 I'll pull the hide off, if flies are a worry I quarter it out and put it in a fridge. If temp is closer to 32 and falling under at night I leave the hide on which will keep it from freezing.
    So this has to be in cold weather. So...pretty much u cant do this in Texas? Hahaha

Bowtech Destroyer 340
    30" draw, 65#, 332 fps
    GoldTip XT's

I have tried letting them hang vs. cutting and straight to freezer and we can't tell a difference. I think how it is prepared makes a bigger effect on tenderness of meat. Some of ours are from hoof to freezer in a few hours then if I am busy they may get quartered and into spare fridge for a day or so until we have time to process. We processed 7 deer last year and none of the meat was tough at the table. My wife has it down how to prepare and it is hard to tell from beef.
    Athens Factory Staff Shooter
    Dead Center Archery Staff Shooter/Tru Ball staff shooter/Bohning Shooting Staff
    K&E Taxidermy
    http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm

If you talk to a butcher he will tell you to hang em for a few days. Here's some info I pull off the internet see below.

Meat, in general, is tenderised by being allowed to "hang" for a period of time, its flavour also develops. The practice probably started in America, when refrigeration made this possible.

The alternative to this is to eat it immediately, before rigor mortis stiffens the animals muscles.

The advantages of a traditional butcher, rather than a supermarket, are often accentuated by the care taken in this "hanging" process.

The length of time meat should hang largely depends on its fat covering, for unless it has enough outside fat, it will deteriorate, even spoil, if held for more than five days or so. Veal and lamb generally lack the necessary fat covering and are not aged more than a few days; whereas beef and mutton carcasses benefit from a longer period of from five to eighteen days (and in the case of beef sometimes up to six weeks) at a temperature of 34 to 38 F.

Unless meat has enough outside fat, it deteriorates quickly, especially if held for more than five days. So lamb and veal are generally hung for no longer than this time. Beef and mutton, however, benefit from a more lengthy hanging period - as long as eighteen days (and for beef, even as long as six weeks if stored at 34-38F. Enzymes in the meat soften the muscle tissues.

Average meat consumption is about 75kg/165lbs per person in Britain, while in the U.S.A. it increases to 110kg/242lbs per person per year.

Hope this helps!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vortec 1 View Post
    If you talk to a butcher he will tell you to hang em for a few days. Here's some info I pull off the internet see below.

Meat, in general, is tenderised by being allowed to "hang" for a period of time, its flavour also develops. The practice probably started in America, when refrigeration made this possible.

The alternative to this is to eat it immediately, before rigor mortis stiffens the animals muscles.

The advantages of a traditional butcher, rather than a supermarket, are often accentuated by the care taken in this "hanging" process.

The length of time meat should hang largely depends on its fat covering, for unless it has enough outside fat, it will deteriorate, even spoil, if held for more than five days or so. Veal and lamb generally lack the necessary fat covering and are not aged more than a few days; whereas beef and mutton carcasses benefit from a longer period of from five to eighteen days (and in the case of beef sometimes up to six weeks) at a temperature of 34 to 38 F.

Unless meat has enough outside fat, it deteriorates quickly, especially if held for more than five days. So lamb and veal are generally hung for no longer than this time. Beef and mutton, however, benefit from a more lengthy hanging period - as long as eighteen days (and for beef, even as long as six weeks if stored at 34-38F. Enzymes in the meat soften the muscle tissues.

Average meat consumption is about 75kg/165lbs per person in Britain, while in the U.S.A. it increases to 110kg/242lbs per person per year.

Hope this helps!!!
    Looking at what you posted about fat covering deers have very little if any so does that say don't hang very long?
    I will continue to process mine ASAP.
    Athens Factory Staff Shooter
    Dead Center Archery Staff Shooter/Tru Ball staff shooter/Bohning Shooting Staff
    K&E Taxidermy
    http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by kebees4 View Post
    Looking at what you posted about fat covering deers have very little if any so does that say don't hang very long?
    I will continue to process mine ASAP.
    Hey, more power to ya,keep doin what ya do.I learned many years ago from a butcher in the family and from Dad and I always have done it that way and alway's will.

Just started doing it a couple years ago myself. Absolutely love processing it myself, it really seems to add to the whole hunting experience to me. It helps that my 11 year old son enjoys helping as well, mainly the skinning part. My wife on the other hand gets a little aggravated with deer meat all over the counter when I'm getting it bagged up for the freezer.