You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: one vs two eyes

Default one vs two eyes

I have been shooting with both eyes open for a few years and for that time prefered it to on eye opened. I was shooting multi pins today and decided to try closing my left eye (I am rh and right eye dominant), and I felt improved focus and shot better. With both eyes open I get sloppy and drift (esp if pins are dim)...
    so my question is how many shoot with only one eye open and how bad an idea is it? I now that it reduces field of vision...but I also find less distractions and improved focus.

Not sure if this matters, but I shoot back tension and currently have the release set a little cold, so my shot takes a little longer (just trying it out for now that way) which is fine...but more time for distraction as well.

I have shot with my left eye closed all my life. will have to say that I have won just as many tournaments as my two eyed buddies have. you will get a lot of replys saying both eyes open is best. and it might be. but if one eye closed works for you. shoot that way.
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

Default eyes

I shoot one eye closed when I shoot pins, and both open when I shoot with a scope. It's what works for me.

Not saying that I'm nervious but i sleep with one eye open and shoot the same way!Always have be it a rifle ,crossbow and compound bow,to tell the truth never tried keeping both open?I'm going to give it a go today ,this should be interestingLOL

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Not saying that I'm nervious but i sleep with one eye open and shoot the same way!Always have be it a rifle ,crossbow and compound bow,to tell the truth never tried keeping both open?I'm going to give it a go today ,this should be interestingLOL
    let us know what happens. I think you will shoot way to the right.
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

I think it is all about what works best for YOU. I cannot shoot with both eyes open no matter how hard I try.

Quote Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post
    let us know what happens. I think you will shoot way to the right.
    Got down the range and lost 2 arrows and shot like a old man,hang-on I am a old manAt this point I realised I was suposed to be shooting with both eyes open not closedHow anyone can shoot with both eyes open is way beyond me,I kept getting a 3D effect and as "Wheely" says shot to the right!Old 1 eye for me

Default eyes

In my case it helps to be almost blind in the non-dominate eye. If I focus mostly with my right eye then the left hardly sees anything.

I usually shoot with both open, but in some lighting I can see better by closing one eye.

Whatever way you feel most comfortable doing is the best way.

Both eyes open shooting a scope. Hunting, normally both eyes, but depending on the glare I will have one open and the other half open.
    Be good or be good at it.

I think it depends on what you are shooting at.
    Shooting at paper, I think that it might not matter.
    Hunting is another thing though. Having both eyes open gives you the chance to follow the arrow to the animal and notice its reaction. If you have one eye closed in that situation, you might miss what it does at the instant the arrow strikes. Your view, one-eyed, is obstructed by the peep, sight and riser, even if it is only for a moment.

Just my 2 cents. I personally always shoot with both eyes open.

Phil aka tazzman

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    How anyone can shoot with both eyes open is way beyond me,I kept getting a 3D effect and as "Wheely" says shot to the right!Old 1 eye for me
    Blink and it goes away....you need to learn how to do it. Walk around your house with one eye closed and see how much stuff you walk into. Do it for a day or two and you won't walk into anything anymore.

Just like shooting with a hinge for the first time....your not going to get it the 1st try. You hit right or left or high or low....move your sight and you won't be hitting off anymore.

I shoot with both eyes open and started doing it back in 97/98 when I first started shooting indoors. It took me about one day to get used to it.

One eye if using any sight, two if not.
    FBSA Member

I find I usually shoot with both eyes open but sometimes in difficult lighting conditions I need to close one eye to focus.
    Archerytalk, Helping Sponsors fleece novice Archers since 2001.

Thanks for all the responses. I am a little surprised...I expected a majority to say both eyes open. As of now I find improved concentration and focus with one eye...so I will stick with it.

Always shot with one eye closed,I tried to shoot with both eyes open but couldn't make it happen,so I guess I'll just keep one closed,it works for me
    60x Custom Strings Staff Shooter
    New Breed Genetix Samurai
    Dead Center Archery Products Factory Staff
    Gold Tip Ultralights

I'm still working on the 2 eyes open deal!!!I find that it's better but every so often the left eye takes over and whooosh lost another arrow!!