You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Hunting arrows need help picking them out

Sorry guys I haven't been on in a coon ages if you even rember me lol. Well, I received a PSE Fireflight from my uncle the limb tag says 75-90lb but its actually goes to 105lbs that is why I wanted the bow in the first place I believe in shooting a heavy bow just my oppion. Anyway its set at about 96lbs right now im curious if Easton XX78 Superslams 2514s would shoot a Muzzy 125 off this bow well or are they under spined? I want to get an arrow around 600-650grains with a 125 3 blade Muzzy and my bow at 105lbs. Anyone have an idea of a good shaft for that kinda poundage?

Now I know im gonna get bashed for shooting this weight but I believe for me its the best way to go. My uncle other uncle who shot 96lbs back in the 1990s said he shot a spike through both shoulders with a complete passthrough and the buck dropped right there spun around a few times and was dead. I basically want more killing or stopping power. Im concerned if I hit one if the shoulder I wont kill it so I want to get that out of my mind. Please be easy on the criticizing. Thank you guys.

Nick

Howdy Nick.... Need to know how long the arrow is to check the spine, Im not even sure if the arrow chart goes to 105 lbs??? I do have some conserns with that bow, Is it a molded riser or a machined 1 peice riser? I usto be just like you with the high poundage, and i found out the hard way that the molded risers break right in the center where the grip is, I usto shoot pse bows in the late 80s and early 90s and broke several of them. The days of shooting High poundage to get good power are over, You need to start looking at the new bows, They are so much faster now, i shot a pse thuinderflight express somewhare around 92 lbs for hunting, with 2114s and a overdraw, and it was about 272 on the chrono if i remember right, now i shoot a hoyt, with a arrow thats got more weight, at 282 with only 69 lbs. its not nearly as hard on the bow or the shooter. I would really reconsider shooting that older bow at that draw weight. But im not telling you not to, its your choice. ive leanerd over the years that shot placment is more important then hiting them with 105 lbs, their are lots of archers who shoot 50-55 lbs that put heads on the wall. Pls dont take this as a bash, its just some info, and my opinion...... good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bullspotter View Post
    Howdy Nick.... Need to know how long the arrow is to check the spine, Im not even sure if the arrow chart goes to 105 lbs??? I do have some conserns with that bow, Is it a molded riser or a machined 1 peice riser? I usto be just like you with the high poundage, and i found out the hard way that the molded risers break right in the center where the grip is, I usto shoot pse bows in the late 80s and early 90s and broke several of them. The days of shooting High poundage to get good power are over, You need to start looking at the new bows, They are so much faster now, i shot a pse thuinderflight express somewhare around 92 lbs for hunting, with 2114s and a overdraw, and it was about 272 on the chrono if i remember right, now i shoot a hoyt, with a arrow thats got more weight, at 282 with only 69 lbs. its not nearly as hard on the bow or the shooter. I would really reconsider shooting that older bow at that draw weight. But im not telling you not to, its your choice. ive leanerd over the years that shot placment is more important then hiting them with 105 lbs, their are lots of archers who shoot 50-55 lbs that put heads on the wall. Pls dont take this as a bash, its just some info, and my opinion...... good luck!!!
    Its funny you say that because I have a new Hoyt Vipertec collecting dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Instinctive_Shooter View Post
    Its funny you say that because I have a new Hoyt Vipertec collecting dust.
    Your body will enjoy shooting the hoyt much better than the PSE, you simply do not need all the poundage today...
    I cut things up and split them down!

The reason I shoot the PSE is because I like to shoot instinctive with fingers and at 90lbs the PSE pulls as hard as the Hoyt at 70lbs. I guess im in to the heavy bows and instinctive shooting because Dan Fitzgerald is my hero and back in the day he was shooting 95lbs in the Passing Through video the one hunt he mentions hes shooting 98lbs. I think im gonna leave my bow at 95 will the arrows I mention shoot the Muzzy 125s good?

o.k. so lets talk of your hero for a second...this is a man who went on a hunt, did not shoot anything and then went on a caged hunt just so they could sell videos.....thats not my kind of hero.....

you must be some huge kind of guy.....to be able to shoot that bow....mark my words you will have shoulder problems.....its not a matter of being a man, its a matter of common sence......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Ive always heard this about Dan but ive never saw proof to belive it. I dont understand how if my Hoyt pulls just as hard when the PSE at 90lbs how the Hoyt will save my shoulders. Im not trying to argue with you but its questions that I dont know the answers to. My uncle has always told me if I can pull the bow comfortable from any postion without any strain that I wont damage anything because your muscles are strong enough to handle it. He shot 96lbs for years and so did my other uncle the reason they stopped is because one fell off a dump truck and messed his back up and the other bought a new bow that only goes to 74lbs.

Do you think those arrows will be fine off the bow and shoot a broadhead good?

i have to agree with bowman y use all that weight when u can get a 40 lb bow and kill just as many animals just as quickly. and 96lbs is a lot to be pullin after uve been sittin on stand for a couple of hours in freezing temperatue ... but watever floats ur boat

Still dont know how long they are, You need to tune the arrows to the bow, they might shoot great might not, go try it out..... See how good it tunes, and groups....

If I decide to use my Bowtech Pro40 at 72lbs is that enough to mess up my shoulders?

it shouldnt .... i shoot 70lbs and i got a f***ed up shoulder and its fine.