You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sponge 4 bowhunting info Where's Bruce?'s Avatar
    South OC, People's Republik of Mexifornistan

Default Polite No? Jerk?

Okay, maybe it's just me and maybe I need therapy or something but having just spent over $2K on my new bow I don't want someone who isn't very familiar with compound bows "trying" it. So when a neighbor or family member or somebody with no archery experience asks you if they can shoot your bow (and it is unlikely they can even draw the damn thing and will likely release an unsafe arrow) how do you politely decline their request without looking like a jerk? Or am I being a jerk for not letting them "play" with my bow? sigh

BTW...I share my firearms but am in a position to control the situation (for safety reasons) whereas with archery it is much harder to prevent an accident or broken arrow IMHO.
    11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8 Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver w/ riser-mounted Stealth Cam EPIC videocamera.

its easy for me, Im left handed and have a 30.5" draw
    Archerytalk, Helping Sponsors fleece novice Archers since 2001.

Talking Here's what I think !

I'd inform these folks that if they can't afford to buy it if they damage it , then it's hands off !

No one has ever asked after learning that , to shoot my Hoyts or even the rest of my collection !

Scent free & sittin High vortec 1's Avatar

Default I'm the same way

I have spent countless hours setting up my bow and getting it just rite and it's built for me and that because everyone is different that this is not the bow to learn on.In the past I've had someone by mistake dry fire one of my bows and I wont go through that again!!!
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Bruce? View Post
    ...... Or am I being a jerk for not letting them "play" with my bow? sigh....
    Sigh...well Bruth...jerk away......

Okay, maybe it's just me and maybe I need therapy or something but having just spent over $2K on my new bow I don't want someone who isn't very familiar with compound bows "trying" it. So when a neighbor or family member or somebody with no archery experience asks you if they can shoot your bow (and it is unlikely they can even draw the damn thing and will likely release an unsafe arrow) how do you politely decline their request without looking like a jerk? Or am I being a jerk for not letting them "play" with my bow? sigh

BTW...I share my firearms but am in a position to control the situation (for safety reasons) whereas with archery it is much harder to prevent an accident or broken arrow IMHO.
    Simple answer Bruce:Please don't ask to shoot my bow as the answer "NO" often offendsJust do as I do when they ask !!!!Tell them they need a $500 deposit up front that normally shuts them -up

Talking A little known fact !

Alot of my bows are as old as Indian arifacts and should be in a museum and are highly collectable , as I know , as that I why I collected them !

Hope the drains around here don't plug up !

James Drouillard

I work in a shop. I help totally new archers a lot. I have never had a customer break any bow they are trying. I go over the do and don't with them. Show them the correct way to shoot. Maybe your friend or family member will get involved in archery because you let t them shoot. Now...on a side note...I get hundreds of bows a year brought in because of a friend or family member had drew back a bow with out an arrow nocked and it was dry fired. Have them shoot your bow, not draw it back with out an arrow.
    James Drouillare...Adams Archery...Hoyt...Easton...Trophy Taker...Scott Archery...Doinker...Muzzy...Bohning

Sponge 4 bowhunting info Where's Bruce?'s Avatar
    South OC, People's Republik of Mexifornistan

Default Hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by ruttinbuck View Post
    I work in a shop. I help totally new archers a lot. I have never had a customer break any bow they are trying. I go over the do and don't with them. Show them the correct way to shoot. Maybe your friend or family member will get involved in archery because you let t them shoot. Now...on a side note...I get hundreds of bows a year brought in because of a friend or family member had drew back a bow with out an arrow nocked and it was dry fired. Have them shoot your bow, not draw it back with out an arrow.
    Still feel this way? Remember, those asking have never shot a compound bow....ever.

Polite No? Jerk? - General Archery Forum
    11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8 Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver w/ riser-mounted Stealth Cam EPIC videocamera.

bowtechies, always a good source of ammusement

James Drouillard

Yeah I still feel that way. Are you telling me that's what your using as your argument? Come on. Did you read my post? I guess I look at it differently. Plus we all started off as beginners.
    James Drouillare...Adams Archery...Hoyt...Easton...Trophy Taker...Scott Archery...Doinker...Muzzy...Bohning

I'm pretty easy going, if they want to try my bow out I say "Sure here's how you do it."

Who knows you might end up with a new shooting buddy.

I will let someone shoot my bow if they use my finger sling. this was learned the hard way. if they say I dont need that then I say nope not my bow.
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

You've got a bow that can take a tank driving over it...and a sight that can take almost the same punishment. But your worried about someone shooting your bow and messing it up? They probably wont even be able to draw it back first of all.....

If someone wants to shoot my bow in the right situation then sure they can shoot it. Heck I have almost 2 grand in my target setup and don't have a $1300 bow. Don't ask me to shoot my bow at home in my apartment.....but if you want to go to the range with me sure you can shoot it if you can draw it.....but I know from having a bunch of friends that have NEVER shot ONE arrow in their life attempt to draw my target bow back on 60lbs with 17oz on the side rod about crap themselves at the pure weight of the setup, then attempt to draw it back and can't even get it drawn 12".

They aren't going to hurt your bow.....if they miss the target they may break an arrow. But if the COACH does is part instructing and puts them up close to the target....then there will be no issue.

Supervise and instruct them properly and there is no issue...and pretty much ZERO chance of messing anything up. You have a BETTER chance of some clown at the range or a shoot messing up your bow then someone that is in awww of your equipment and wants to try it. Everyone starts some place....I know the first compound I shot was a buddies back in the day. He doesn't shoot anymore and hasn't since the early 90s. There aren't too many people out there that have just said I want to shoot archery.....let me run out and buy a bow. Most people start by trying a friends bow first or having their interest peeked by a friend....your setup is nothing special in the grand scheme of archery.

Would you not let the same friend drive your car? Dude don't sit on my couch....it cost $4K. Don't touch my iphone dude it cost $600 to replace it. I know you didn't just change my TV channel....that thing cost $2grand. Hell my golf clubs cost more then your setup and if a buddy wants to try them...swing away.

James Drouillard

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
    You've got a bow that can take a tank driving over it...and a sight that can take almost the same punishment. But your worried about someone shooting your bow and messing it up? They probably wont even be able to draw it back first of all.....

If someone wants to shoot my bow in the right situation then sure they can shoot it. Heck I have almost 2 grand in my target setup and don't have a $1300 bow. Don't ask me to shoot my bow at home in my apartment.....but if you want to go to the range with me sure you can shoot it if you can draw it.....but I know from having a bunch of friends that have NEVER shot ONE arrow in their life attempt to draw my target ybow back on 60lbs with 17oz on the side rod about crap themselves at the pure weight of the setup, then attempt to draw it back and can't even get it drawn 12".

They aren't going to hurt your bow.....if they miss the target they may break an arrow. But if the COACH does is part instructing and puts them up close to the target....then there will be no issue.

Supervise and instruct them properly and there is no issue...and pretty much ZERO chance of messing anything up. You have a BETTER chance of some clown at the range or a shoot messing up your bow then someone that is in awww of your equipment and wants to try it. Everyone starts some place....I know the first compound I shot was a buddies back in the day. He doesn't shoot anymore and hasn't since the early 90s. There aren't too many people out there that have just said I want to shoot archery.....let me run out and buy a bow. Most people start by trying a friends bow first or having their interest peeked by a friend....your setup is nothing special in the grand scheme of archery.

Would you not let the same friend drive your car? Dude don't sit on my couch....it cost $4K. Don't touch my iphone dude it cost $600 to replace it. I know you didn't just change my TV channel....that thing cost $2grand. Hell my golf clubs cost more then your setup and if a buddy wants to try them...swing away.
    Right on! Excellent post!

Anyone who pays $300 for a Bow quiver has got to be an anal pain in the arse.

Shooting Edge Technology 09Dreamseason's Avatar

I thought you won this bow in a Raffle...........

I always let my buddies shoot my bows, most have bows worth mine, but the occasional family member has asked and I use my TRUBall Xtreme thumb release with them because it locks the caliper jaws onto the string and I show them not to release the thumb until ready to shoot. NO ONE pulls any of my bows without an arrow that isn't going to be released! ANYONE who pulls my bow shoots my bow!
    '09 PSE X-Force Dream Season GX
    '11 PSE X-Force AXE 7

www.ShootingEdgeTech.com
    www.SaveOutdoorSports.com

In God we trust wilkersonhunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carpshooter View Post
    I'd inform these folks that if they can't afford to buy it if they damage it , then it's hands off !

No one has ever asked after learning that , to shoot my Hoyts or even the rest of my collection !

i will agree 100% no inexperienced shooters hands on my bow
    truball shooting staff
    2012 pse dreamseason evo 6
    member of the 160" 8ptr club
    [/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
    treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff

Quote Originally Posted by Carpshooter View Post

Quote Originally Posted by wilkersonhunter View Post
    i will agree 100% no inexperienced shooters hands on my bow

Don't let carpy fool ya, he'll let anybody fondle his bow.

In God we trust wilkersonhunter's Avatar

he might, but i wont let just any one shot my bow.
    truball shooting staff
    2012 pse dreamseason evo 6
    member of the 160" 8ptr club
    [/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
    treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff