You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Problem with aiming eye

Crap, I just got handed another archery challenge.

Just discovered that I have mixed astigmatism, but only in my dominate eye—can we say the one I aim with??? Anyway, what this means is that 1 part of my eye sees things near-sighted and another part of the same eye sees things as far-sighted. Imagine the utter chaos all this refocusing going causes while trying to calmly stare down a dot… Ain’t happening!!

Now I gotta figure out if a contact lens is made that sufficiently corrects this type of astigmatism or if I have to look into having surgery on my aiming eye—yikes!!!

Anyone go through something similar and if so, what were your options and outcome???

Default or..........

close one eye

I knew I could count on you for your customary insight....

Actually, closing one eye does not improve anything because the problem is only in one eye--the one I aim with. Since I am not left eye dominant or left handed, so a switch from right handed shooting is also not a viable fix.

Sigh.....

Default Or

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    close one eye
    Get the surgery and the problem is gone 4 everit's a no brainer really

sorry I don't like the surgery option.

so

You could shortin your draw length and cross your head over your string and look through the other eye. I shot that way for years and it work fairly well except for the short draw length.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    sorry I don't like the surgery option.

I hear you!! If this were my non-aiming eye and there was little chance of it ending my shooting, I'd have no issues with the surgery, but since medicine is not an exacting science and sometimes bad things happen for no reason at all, I'm really thinking twice about putting my dominant eyeball under the laser.

Never thought about sighting with my left eye and shooting right-handed. Having a bit of a problem visualizing this.

Thanks, to everyone who's responded so far, please keep the ideas coming as I want to make as much of an informed decision as possible after weighing all of the options.

get a left hand bow. learn to shoot left hand. close right eye.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

Eye surgery....if you go to a real place and not some coupon offering Dr is nothing anymore. Call TLC and make an appointment to talk to them. If they can fix Tigers blind eyes they can take care of your issue. My best friend and his wife and my girlfriends brother inlaw had their eyes done there. Awesome job with no issue.

But what do you see when you aim? My eyes suck now and they aren't consistently trying to focus while aiming. If they really did that you couldn't walk or drive very well.

Either go to contacts if it will fix the problem or get surgery....or switch to left handed. The short draw cross aim thing is a bad idea IMO as far as target archery is concerned. At least if you want to come close to doing what you want to do. If you want to stay the same or go backwards then cross on over to the other eye.

I'd get on the computer and make an appointment with TLC though. http://www.tlcvision.com/landings/CS...FYHe4Aod1RvWmQ

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
    Eye surgery....if you go to a real place and not some coupon offering Dr is nothing anymore. Call TLC and make an appointment to talk to them. If they can fix Tigers blind eyes they can take care of your issue. My best friend and his wife and my girlfriends brother inlaw had their eyes done there. Awesome job with no issue.

But what do you see when you aim? My eyes suck now and they aren't consistently trying to focus while aiming. If they really did that you couldn't walk or drive very well.

Either go to contacts if it will fix the problem or get surgery....or switch to left handed. The short draw cross aim thing is a bad idea IMO as far as target archery is concerned. At least if you want to come close to doing what you want to do. If you want to stay the same or go backwards then cross on over to the other eye.

I'd get on the computer and make an appointment with TLC though. http://www.tlcvision.com/landings/CS...FYHe4Aod1RvWmQ
    I'm with the hornet or is he with me????

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post

Either go to contacts if it will fix the problem or get surgery....or switch to left handed.

Since my left eye is nearly normal, I only have an issue while aiming through the smaller peep--when the dominant eye's field of view is greatly minimized. What happens is that while aiming, my eye will focus on the target in either near-or far-sighted mode, then suddenly switch right before the shot is released. There's no last minute let down here cuz it happens so fast and when my eye is getting fatigued from the aiming process. This causes a 10 or 5 to suddenly become a 9/8 or a 4. It does not happen all of the time, but can occur as much as 3-5 times during an indoor round and over 10 times on a field round.

I have an appt this Friday for a comprehensive contact/Lasik evaluation at BW Eye Center to see which method would work best for my situation as a shooter. I'll schedule a 2nd opinion with TLC for later this month if surgery turns out to be the better option.

You know what I want from archery and staying where I am or moving backward is not an option--I'd rather put up the bow than go those routes....

TLC is the place to go....

Quote Originally Posted by montigre View Post
    Since my left eye is nearly normal, I only have an issue while aiming through the smaller peep--when the dominant eye's field of view is greatly minimized. What happens is that while aiming, my eye will focus on the target in either near-or far-sighted mode, then suddenly switch right before the shot is released. There's no last minute let down here cuz it happens so fast and when my eye is getting fatigued from the aiming process. This causes a 10 or 5 to suddenly become a 9/8 or a 4. It does not happen all of the time, but can occur as much as 3-5 times during an indoor round and over 10 times on a field round.

I have an appt this Friday for a comprehensive contact/Lasik evaluation at BW Eye Center to see which method would work best for my situation as a shooter. I'll schedule a 2nd opinion with TLC for later this month if surgery turns out to be the better option.

You know what I want from archery and staying where I am or moving backward is not an option--I'd rather put up the bow than go those routes....
    This is from someone who actually has had the procedure, it'll change your bloody life not just for archery but everything no more glasses!!!!My wife had a similar problem to you and had just the 1 eye fixed now she reads 2lines below 20\20.I know it's not for everone but good luck and get the best surgen not the cheapest !!!!!LOL See ya round hawk eyes

Shooting Edge Technology 09Dreamseason's Avatar

I wonder if you could wear a patch over that eye that had a circle cut out in the center as a focus hole and strengthen it by wearing it around the house to cause your eye to focus with a handicap..........
    '09 PSE X-Force Dream Season GX
    '11 PSE X-Force AXE 7

www.ShootingEdgeTech.com
    www.SaveOutdoorSports.com

Quote Originally Posted by 09Dreamseason View Post
    I wonder if you could wear a patch over that eye that had a circle cut out in the center as a focus hole and strengthen it by wearing it around the house to cause your eye to focus with a handicap..........
    thats not a bad idea at all

Shooting Edge Technology 09Dreamseason's Avatar

I based this off of what they made me do in the Navy because I'm left eye dominant and shoot right handed!
    '09 PSE X-Force Dream Season GX
    '11 PSE X-Force AXE 7

www.ShootingEdgeTech.com
    www.SaveOutdoorSports.com

Quote Originally Posted by 09Dreamseason View Post
    You know, that's not a bad idea. I'll ask the eye doctor about that when I see him tomorrow.

Something very similar with me. Started shooting RH, had cataract surgery on both eyes, discovered right eye has retinal problem (not operational till it gets much worse, i.e. not worth risk per Dr), so I got a LH bow and started shooting with my good eye.

I'm also a long time bowler. I actually discovered the retinal problem bowling. My brain new my dominate eye was fuzzy and wouldn't focus, so my brain was using my left eye and ignoring my right. It did this for about 6 months while I thought I was going nuts.

I would focus on my target bowling and constantly deliver the ball about 3 inches left of target. I did the old dominate eye thumb test and discovered my brain was now left eye dominate by default. So when I got the LH bow and started shooting at clear targets, all was well till my left shoulder acted up, since that was the first real work it had done in 60 years. Fix one problem and get another one. Good luck !
    PJMax

Retired and Proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by PJMax View Post
    Something very similar with me. Started shooting RH, had cataract surgery on both eyes, discovered right eye has retinal problem (not operational till it gets much worse, i.e. not worth risk per Dr), so I got a LH bow and started shooting with my good eye.

I'm also a long time bowler. I actually discovered the retinal problem bowling. My brain new my dominate eye was fuzzy and wouldn't focus, so my brain was using my left eye and ignoring my right. It did this for about 6 months while I thought I was going nuts.

I would focus on my target bowling and constantly deliver the ball about 3 inches left of target. I did the old dominate eye thumb test and discovered my brain was now left eye dominate by default. So when I got the LH bow and started shooting at clear targets, all was well till my left shoulder acted up, since that was the first real work it had done in 60 years. Fix one problem and get another one. Good luck !
    Isn't the human brain a great thing,that was a great story M8 hope the surgry goes ahead soon 4 you

Wow, PJ, that was a great story. I'm also hoping the surgery goes well for you when you have it and that the shoulder settles down for you.

Just got back from the eye doc and he told me that since my base vision in the effected eye is still pretty good, he does not recommend surgery to correct the astigmatism. Will be fitted for a contact for that one eye next week in hopes that it will allow for a crisper image without the current back and forth shifts in focusing. We shall see....

Hope it works out for you.
    PJMax

Retired and Proud of it!