You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: A little pissed

Sponge 4 bowhunting info Where's Bruce?'s Avatar
    South OC, People's Republik of Mexifornistan

Default A little pissed

Decided to go for it and went mulie hunting on a 3 day spot (Fri-Sun) and stalk backpack hunt in So. Calif. w/ a buddy. I took only my bow...he carried a winmag. Hiked and hunted until my legs, back and butt were frozen and locking up from fatigue. Had deer as close as 15 yards staring at me for minutes (thank you Optifade) but they were all does and spikes. Sunday morning shortly after 1st light I'm buried under a tree I'd carefully raked and trimmed to create shooting lanes. My bud is 1000 yards away in a similar set-up. I hear stuff moving behind me but can't see anything in the dense brush yet. Then BOOM! The .300 sent a shockwave thru the small canyon that made me jump in my seat. Mulie-blacktail hybrid down. We quarter and debone it and call it a hunt. My tag expires next Sunday. I'm feelin' kinda frustrated...second guessing not taking the rifle. sigh
    11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8 Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver w/ riser-mounted Stealth Cam EPIC videocamera.

Never bring a bow to a rifle fight. That $300 quiver really paid for itself didint it?
    Archerytalk, Helping Sponsors fleece novice Archers since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Compound Comedian View Post
    Never bring a bow to a rifle fight. That $300 quiver really paid for itself didint it?
    Leave the poor little bugger alone ,he's already in enough pain as it is!!Don't worry Bruce there only jealous Old Mate

I would take that $300 and buy a $50 Alpine Soft loc and use the $250 for hand held releases
    Archerytalk, Helping Sponsors fleece novice Archers since 2001.

Never bring a GUN when it's still bow-able.
    No crying over spilt milk.
    You either are OK with bow only or you should have carried a gun. We've all experienced that. Don't look back or second guess.
    FBSA Member

Default Oh well

Got my angst out yesterday. put on my salad suit (3d camos), sat very still by the door and came to life at the treat or treaters knocked on the door. Great fun! As they panicked and backed away from me I said, "Tell your friends you met George Bush tonight." Then they'd laugh and get their candy. I'd say, "Don't fall when you leave....get it?" That 3D mossy oak is great Halloween fun.

So okay...maybe I won't get my very first deer with a bow. Maybe it's okay to hunt the last time with a rifle. But if that's the case...why have I taken the bow everytime out? Why can I still not bring myself to pack a rifle too?

Maybe it's the budding bowhunter in me...or maybe I'm just obstinate and hate admitting defeat. Maybe I am expecting more of muself than I should. Maybe most new archers fail to get a buck w/ a bow in their first year.

I've decided I have done okay for my first season now. I tried. I exhausted myself trying. I did everything I could do. I did manage to get 4 deer within 30 yards and two deer to 15 and 20 yards while on the ground. The one doe stared at me for a long time and never saw me so my camo, scent control and stalking were fine. That's gotta count for something I suppose. So I didn't see a legal buck...that happens right? At least I stuck with the bow throughout bow and rifle season. Maybe there's hope for me...maybe it's the learning curve or just the luck of the draw.

There was one moment that sticks in my head. I have deer coming into my area from three directions at once. Behind me, to my left and in front of me. Then I hear a guy chamber a round into his bolt action but have no idea where he is and i know he doesn't know I'm there. It is last light, I'm in a bush and praying this guy doesn't blast me. yeah...that was an interesting twilight.
    11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8 Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver w/ riser-mounted Stealth Cam EPIC videocamera.

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Bruce? View Post
    Got my angst out yesterday. put on my salad suit (3d camos), sat very still by the door and came to life at the treat or treaters knocked on the door. Great fun! As they panicked and backed away from me I said, "Tell your friends you met George Bush tonight." Then they'd laugh and get their candy. I'd say, "Don't fall when you leave....get it?" That 3D mossy oak is great Halloween fun.

So okay...maybe I won't get my very first deer with a bow. Maybe it's okay to hunt the last time with a rifle. But if that's the case...why have I taken the bow everytime out? Why can I still not bring myself to pack a rifle too?

Maybe it's the budding bowhunter in me...or maybe I'm just obstinate and hate admitting defeat. Maybe I am expecting more of muself than I should. Maybe most new archers fail to get a buck w/ a bow in their first year.

I've decided I have done okay for my first season now. I tried. I exhausted myself trying. I did everything I could do. I did manage to get 4 deer within 30 yards and two deer to 15 and 20 yards while on the ground. The one doe stared at me for a long time and never saw me so my camo, scent control and stalking were fine. That's gotta count for something I suppose. So I didn't see a legal buck...that happens right? At least I stuck with the bow throughout bow and rifle season. Maybe there's hope for me...maybe it's the learning curve or just the luck of the draw.

There was one moment that sticks in my head. I have deer coming into my area from three directions at once. Behind me, to my left and in front of me. Then I hear a guy chamber a round into his bolt action but have no idea where he is and i know he doesn't know I'm there. It is last light, I'm in a bush and praying this guy doesn't blast me. yeah...that was an interesting twilight.
    AS the good book says all good things come to those that wait even a 8 point deer old mate!!Just do what all good aussie boys do and hunt with out a permit it makes the challange all the more fun

Default A little pissed

Me Too!!!! I've just finished a bottle of Jack and now I'm onto a case of beer!!!! You'd be pissed too if I were me too

Scent free & sittin High vortec 1's Avatar

You could have shot a deer with a gun but you took your bow. Look at the challenge and most of all the hunt of trying to get in range.Sure it's great to come back with a deer but learn from each hunt and take something away from it.There are years up here it Michigan where you don't get a deer especially if your looking for a shooter and here most don't.I did'nt get a deer my first year,let alone a buck. It will come in time,now I can't tell ya how many deer in 35 years i've killed and how much learned.Keep gettin better with your bow and read on pinch points,funnels and and look at topo's at the property your hunting to give you that edge.When I findly relize no shooter this season,I hunt harder and also start planning for next year!! Hang in there!!!!
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

Default I know you're right

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I actually thought (well...I was certain) I would get a buck this year but my expectations may have been set a little high given the success rates in D11, D13 & D15 here. Hard zones! At least I got very close to some deer and got a true appreciation of the patience spot & stalk w/ a bow requires. I was a bit disappointed after 3 days in the field but am better now. Probably was just tired.

Default Need Help

Hey Guys I'm new to hunting and am in need of some hunting buddies I am in the Military Stationed on Camp Pendleton in SoCal I have a bow and a couple of rifles as well if anyone is interested please let me know. Also I heard that zone A22 is going to close but reopen again for bow only from Dec thru Jan is this true thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by krazykerry View Post
    Hey Guys I'm new to hunting and am in need of some hunting buddies I am in the Military Stationed on Camp Pendleton in SoCal I have a bow and a couple of rifles as well if anyone is interested please let me know. Also I heard that zone A22 is going to close but reopen again for bow only from Dec thru Jan is this true thanks for the help
    Bruce is your man if you can find him he seams to be MIA lately!!!!Think he's giving Bow Hunting the flick and getting a Win 270!!!I here the Ruger mini 14 has a Quiver that holds 30 Arrows,and we know how Bruce loves Quivers!!!

Default Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Bruce is your man if you can find him he seams to be MIA lately!!!!Think he's giving Bow Hunting the flick and getting a Win 270!!!I here the Ruger mini 14 has a Quiver that holds 30 Arrows,and we know how Bruce loves Quivers!!!
    Nope...I stuck it out and struck out with the bow the whole season. Got close to does and spikes but no shooters. sigh

To the soldier above...check your inbox regarding PSC.

Nope...I stuck it out and struck out with the bow the whole season. Got close to does and spikes but no shooters. sigh

To the soldier above...check your inbox regarding PSC.
    Good for you Bruce next season will be the bomb