You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Archery Target

Default Archery Target

Anyone have any suggestions for some cheaper alternatives to arrow stopping targets? I've used the hay barrels, the styrofoam coolers, etc. Am I better off just spending the money and getting a good target that will last? I saw this XL target that has gotten some good reviews and is good w broadheads..

I bought a rinehardt 18-1 a few years ago it cost a hundred bucks but I still probably have another 2-3 years of shooting it before I need a new one

If your looking for something just for target points, it's hard to beat a morrell bag target. There cheap and will take thousands of shots. I pound on there range bag all winter long at 15 yard and the most I ve had to do is rotate it once a day. If the cover wears through for a few bucks you can buy a new cover.

If your wanting something just for field points then a yellow jacket bag target is the way to go, but if your wanting broadhead and field point then you should look into the Glen dell buck. I bought one recently and i love it. I have shot hundreds of arrows in it already and it is still holding up very well. The cool thing about it is if you shoot one side out, all you have to do is lift the insert out and turn it to one of the three other sides.

Bowtech Destroyer 340
    30" draw, 65#, 332 fps
    GoldTip XT's

I've been using a Big Green Target for field points. Works good for me.
    Archery Target - Bowhunting forum

I agree with the morrel bag targets, and if you do get a lot of holes in it you can buy a replacment cover for $17 and have a new looking target.

Sponge 4 bowhunting info Where's Bruce?'s Avatar
    South OC, People's Republik of Mexifornistan

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions for some cheaper alternatives to arrow stopping targets? I've used the hay barrels, the styrofoam coolers, etc. Am I better off just spending the money and getting a good target that will last? I saw this XL target that has gotten some good reviews and is good w broadheads..
    Don't buy that piece of sh*t target in the link...it's the generic Black Hole target they sell em at Big 5. Crappy targets.
    11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8 Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver w/ riser-mounted Stealth Cam EPIC videocamera.

thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Bruce? View Post
    Don't buy that piece of sh*t target in the link...it's the generic Black Hole target they sell em at Big 5. Crappy targets.
    I'll definitely second that. My advice would be, as suggested already, to buy a Morrell bag target for field/target points and possibly a Yellow Jacket designed for broadheads. Bags are not designed for broadheads.

Probably a batter alternative is to join a clocal archery club and shoot theirs. You'll have the added benefit of making new friends, and to my way of thinking get away from the house (wife).

I happen to be fortunate enough to have two clubs within 6 miles of my house. One has indoor facilities where I shoot all winter long. Three nights a week.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I'll definitely second that. My advice would be, as suggested already, to buy a Morrell bag target for field/target points and possibly a Yellow Jacket designed for broadheads. Bags are not designed for broadheads.

Probably a batter alternative is to join a clocal archery club and shoot theirs. You'll have the added benefit of making new friends, and to my way of thinking get away from the house (wife).

I happen to be fortunate enough to have two clubs within 6 miles of my house. One has indoor facilities where I shoot all winter long. Three nights a week.
    Becarefull you don't suffer from Bow finger Burnout????3 nights a week you sound like your hooked on the indoor stuff,and why not???
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Becarefull you don't suffer from Bow finger Burnout????3 nights a week you sound like your hooked on the indoor stuff,and why not???
    Not hooked on indoor. Two nights are only practice. Most often I get to shoot about 3 ends (9 arrows) and somebody needs some help with equipment or form so I spend the rest of the evening being a coach or bow technician.

Besides, it's been too cold to shoot outside. I just like to shoot.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

Not hooked on indoor. Two nights are only practice. Most often I get to shoot about 3 ends (9 arrows) and somebody needs some help with equipment or form so I spend the rest of the evening being a coach or bow technician.

Sounds like alot of fun.

Alright then
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Cabelas shot stopper has done well for me. $60 and has lasted me 2 years so far. good for fp and bh. none have made it to the flech yet. even when my father in law brings his bow shooting 330fps. for $60 if it makes it through next year I will say it owes me nothing.

I find the neighbours "CAT" is the best target for back yard use!!!!Has anyone else had this experiance????

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    I find the neighbours "CAT" is the best target for back yard use!!!!Has anyone else had this experiance????
    Some people's kids

In God we trust wilkersonhunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    If your looking for something just for target points, it's hard to beat a morrell bag target. There cheap and will take thousands of shots. I pound on there range bag all winter long at 15 yard and the most I ve had to do is rotate it once a day. If the cover wears through for a few bucks you can buy a new cover.
    amen to that morrells bag target. the one that i have has lasted me for several years now and i have left it outside all the time.
    truball shooting staff
    2012 pse dreamseason evo 6
    member of the 160" 8ptr club
    [/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
    treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff