You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
    Sponge 4 bowhunting info Where's Bruce?'s Avatar
    South OC, People's Republik of Mexifornistan

Default 1st Treestand (need purchase advice)

1. I have never used a treestand ever. Don't know jack, just what I've seen on TV.
    2. I pack in on public property and need something ultra light that goes in and out on my 52 yr old back every time out.
    3. Climbing style seems to be the best option...yes? No? Would like to be able to trim my tall palm trees with it too, the ladder ain't cuttin' it anymore. Maybe even string Christmas lights on em.
    4. Don't wanna die. Will spend whatever is necessary to have a reliable stand that will last a lifetime. I prefer to buy quality and use it long term.
    Recommendations? (Besides wear a harness although I would like a harness that won't kill ya as well. I guess a lot of guys have died dangling from a harness after falling outta their stand.) Okay, let's hear it.
    11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8 Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver w/ riser-mounted Stealth Cam EPIC videocamera.

I like a climber for public land and for a few spots on my home ground that I like to sneek in one or twice a year when the wind is perfect. They are kind of a pain in the butt the first couple of times you use it intil you figure out the easest way to carry it in, assemble in the dark, and what you really need to carry up the tree with you.

As far as what kind? Let your wallet tell you. With most stands you get what you pay for. The cheeper ones are heavier and louder, most expensive stands are lighter and easier to use.

Just like a bow, it's best to go to a place where you can try it out on a pole before you buy. I ve been using the same one for about ten years now and couldn't even tell you the brand name of the thing.

Sponge 4 bowhunting info Where's Bruce?'s Avatar
    South OC, People's Republik of Mexifornistan

Weight/size/stability is my biggest concern, then quiet. Price is of no concern. If it's too heavy I won't lug it in so a lightweight stand that can support a 240lb guy w/ 40lb pack is what I need. Any tips on Mfrs or materials to look at? What about harnesses? Any advicve appreciate-thank you!
    11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8 Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver w/ riser-mounted Stealth Cam EPIC videocamera.

lone wolf or summit are best IMO. always feel safe in either both are totally portable. most nice stands will come with a harness. I have herd good tings about ameristep but never used one. I think lone wolf stands are lighter than summit but are more expensive. the best advice i can give you is always use a harness. i have never come close to falling but still have walked out of the woods because i forgot my harness. I will not use a climber with out one. just my two cents.

I use a lonewolf and hunt public ground they are light,quiet and pack flat..one suggestion is to get the wolf pack the whole stand wears like a back pack...you wont be disappointed and if you are sell it on ebay and get all your money back

Scent free & sittin High vortec 1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Z7lonewolf View Post
    I use a lonewolf and hunt public ground they are light,quiet and pack flat..one suggestion is to get the wolf pack the whole stand wears like a back pack...you wont be disappointed and if you are sell it on ebay and get all your money back
    XXXX222222 The LoneWolf Alpha sit and climb is the best out there ,just 17lbs and flat on your back.Summit sticks out off your back like a giant door wedge .Like Gator said practice on a pole also in the dark till you get a ruteen down, but don't do like I did and forget that poles don't tapper and trees do. I'm limber enough to reach down and re a just the platform (not recomended).
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

Quote Originally Posted by vortec 1 View Post
    XXXX222222 The LoneWolf Alpha sit and climb is the best out there ,just 17lbs and flat on your back.Summit sticks out off your back like a giant door wedge .Like Gator said practice on a pole also in the dark till you get a ruteen down, but don't do like I did and forget that poles don't tapper and trees do. I'm limber enough to reach down and re a just the platform (not recomended).

I got myself in a hell of a pickle one morning trying to perform this balancing act.

I also learn why you want to tie the top and bottom pieces of the stand together on the same morning.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

I also learn why you want to tie the top and bottom pieces of the stand together on the same morning.
    Bummer!
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Best climber imo : Lone Wolf hand climber, absolute quiet, light wt., packs the flatest and tightest to your back.

Best moveable hangon combo : Lone Wolf Alpha w/ Muddy sticks

Most comfortable stand : Millenium m100

Best Harness : Muddy safeguard or HSS ultra light
    Be good or be good at it.

Hoyt Vertor Turbo

Lone wolf stand and climb also all the way never own a different stand I have tryed many and went back to my lone wolf.

Talking Here's what I think !

I like a soft quiet seat and a big platform , besides being strong enough for 300lb. load and lightweight ! I'd make sure that it was affordable as it might grow legs and walk away !

trophy class deer hunter archeryassasin's Avatar

In my opinion Summit is the way to go. i have a viper ss and a deadmetal and i love them both
    u aint seen country yet!

I'd recommend summit also they're some comfy stands

Hoyt Vertor Turbo

I did not care for summit not as stable and safe fealing to me that is when I used summit I would always rachet strap around the back of the tree had my stand walk around the tree when I shifted my weight wile standing nevr happend on me stand and climb lone wolfs just feel stable and safe to me dont have to worry when takeing the shot.