You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default After 5 years I think I'm burnt

Usually this time of year I'm knee deep into indoor season, shooting every night. Fine tuning, adjusting, more practise, driving to shoots, league's ect....

This year I'm just not feeling it. I ve shot a 299 standing on the line in Vegas, but 299 is a far cry from the 300 I practise for. Shot 300 58x on a five spot and a perfect 60x game still seems like miles away. I feel like I gave it my best and still came up short. I just don't feel like spending hours on end standing on the practise line just to come up short another year.

I started shooting last night and it felt like work so I put the bow down and walked away.

Maybe I should take a year off. I mean if it's not fun why do it?

I walked away from shooting 3d this year mid-season for the same reason.

You ever burn yourself out?

Yes, I have burned myself out in the past--not with archery, but with another athletic endeavour. I'm not really sure putting the bow away will resolve the issue or bring back the "love" when you decide to pick it up again because your focus that got you to this point would still be there.

I suggest rather than taking a hiatus from shooting, that you alter why you shoot in the first place. Instead of grilling yourself for that elusive 300 game (I have only shot one and that was in practice, so it does not count... hehe) or perfect x count, focus on really perfecting an aspect of your form or an aspect of your mental game and put the score totally on the back burner. I'll bet dollars to donuts (where did that term come from anyway???), in time, you'll be able to aproach the sport again with a fresh, new outlook and renewed appreciation of why you really do love this sport.

Good answer.

I still like talking to my archery friends and going to league's and such, maybe I'm just tired of keeping score.

I burned out a long time ago for the indoor game. I'm getting older (64) and the eyes and muscles aren't getting any better so I've come to realize that that elusive perfect score isn't going to happen. And yes, it isn't fun trying to achieve an impossible goal.

However, I do still enjoy shooting, just that my expectations aren't what they once were. Add to that is that I get to practicing and after about a dozen shots or so I end up hanging up the bow and helping some of the younger shooters with improving shooting form and adjusting their bows to fit them better. Anybody that asks for help gets my best effort. To me it's just about as satisfying seeing others get better. In other words, give a little something back.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

45 what a great age??? Gator with your other commitments now pending is it little wonder you feel this way??? I suffered 2 burnout in my life, so please listen to the signals they are telling you something Old mate???If I knew you were nearly as good at shooting as Myself I wouldn't hang on you nearly as much!!!I felt like this last year just gone and if it isn't fun then who wants to do it!!!!!
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

In God we trust wilkersonhunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    Usually this time of year I'm knee deep into indoor season, shooting every night. Fine tuning, adjusting, more practise, driving to shoots, league's ect....

This year I'm just not feeling it. I ve shot a 299 standing on the line in Vegas, but 299 is a far cry from the 300 I practise for. Shot 300 58x on a five spot and a perfect 60x game still seems like miles away. I feel like I gave it my best and still came up short. I just don't feel like spending hours on end standing on the practise line just to come up short another year.

I started shooting last night and it felt like work so I put the bow down and walked away.

honestly, i have never burned myself out of shooting. the ky deer season runs from sept. till mid jan. and by the time jan. gets here i am burned out on hunting but not shooting. that miss on the 12 ring seems to give me the drive to go to another shoot. i have been shooting since the mid 80's and i guess i just love this sport that much or either i dont have another life.
    truball shooting staff
    2012 pse dreamseason evo 6
    member of the 160" 8ptr club
    [/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
    treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff

Talking A little known fact !

I had family issues the past few years and after gun hunting , I'm back !

I got to find my bows and get my second family going , as I love treestand hunting and need to start shooting my bows !

It's what I'm going to do , I think !

Find your fun again. Remember what it is you love about archery and do it for that reason.

I got burnt out traveling to all the ASA shoots a few years ago and thought I was done with 3d. Now I just shoot local shoots with friends and enjoy 3d again. That's my 2 cents you can keep the change.

It sounds like I'm not the only one to ever hit this wall.

I think I'll just relax alittle and quit trying so hard for that perfect game.

You got to know that there will always be limits , and that one may never reach all of a person goals in life .

I will only be shooting to return to deerhunting and bowfishing again , as I still belong to an archery club with an indoor range and does both indoor and outside 3D shoots plus league shoots in 3D and spots !

Some times i haft to make myself go to work i am not going to make myself go
    to a shoot ANY MORE lots of times i would get to a shoot and wish i would have
    stayed home the people you shoot with makes a big difference don't know if
    i will shoot this year or not?

Talking Here's what I think !

I went gun-ho into 3D when I first started shooting back in the late 90's alot , but figure that the fastest way was to lie , but the heck with that !

You have score higher than yours trully , I did a 294 once , while in league with my Jennings Buckmaster back in the late 90s !

I just figure that I'm not a spot shooting guru and who cares anyway !

Wish you well , but a 299 is great by my standards !

Quote Originally Posted by Carpshooter View Post
    I went gun-ho into 3D when I first started shooting back in the late 90's alot , but figure that the fastest way was to lie , but the heck with that !

You have score higher than yours trully , I did a 294 once , while in league with my Jennings Buckmaster back in the late 90s !

I just figure that I'm not a spot shooting guru and who cares anyway !

Wish you well , but a 299 is great by my standards !
    This was out of 400
    right??????
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Sponge 4 bowhunting info Where's Bruce?'s Avatar
    South OC, People's Republik of Mexifornistan

Default Jmo

We excel at those things that give us our greatest, most fulfilling joy. When that suffers...so does the rest. When uncertain, trust your gut. I do.
    11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8 Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver w/ riser-mounted Stealth Cam EPIC videocamera.

In the Last few years I have gotten burned out on shooting outdoor 3d, I was never the best at judging yardage so I had to work really hard on it. Just dont have the time for that with a 3 year old and another on the way. Indoor 3d in the winter is still a great way for me to get out of the house, I have always been a perfectionist so i kinda gravitated back to indoor target and field round over the last few years and love it. I do still love 3d but when I have the choice over a 3d or a Field round I go to the field. Sometimes you just need a different perspective or goal to achieve, try reading Lanny Bassham's "With Winning In Mind" great book
    Target: Hoyt ProElite XT3000 C2, 60# 30", CBE Quad Lite, CBE 3x .019, Trophy Taker, Easton Fatboy 400's(indoor) lightspeed 400 (outdoor)

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade

Just get a new bow that should do it.........
    2010 PSE AXE 7

Quote Originally Posted by OneMustFall View Post
    Just get a new bow that should do it.........
    ya that works too!
    Target: Hoyt ProElite XT3000 C2, 60# 30", CBE Quad Lite, CBE 3x .019, Trophy Taker, Easton Fatboy 400's(indoor) lightspeed 400 (outdoor)

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    This was out of 400
    right??????
    Westy , you sometimes give it away why you must be taken by the hand and showed how archery really is !

I know you are kidding as I once shot next to a guy who shot a 59x 299 and yours trully was the score keeper ! It's still a 299 and those Xs don't mean a thing until it's a 300 at some shoots !

Now you know !

Quote Originally Posted by Carpshooter View Post
    Westy , you sometimes give it away why you must be taken by the hand and showed how archery really is !

I know you are kidding as I once shot next to a guy who shot a 59x 299 and yours trully was the score keeper ! It's still a 299 and those Xs don't mean a thing until it's a 300 at some shoots !

Now you know !
    Had you going right????

Talking Beings that you asked !

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Had you going right????
    Yes if that's what you want to see ?