You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default blade vs limb driven drop away

I currently shoot a limb driver and love it, but was thinking of going back to a blade. I picked up a used blade and was looking at it and realized the diameter shafts I use will cause fletching contact at the base of the vane.

Are blades more forgiving...more accurate is what I really mean, and how do you adjust for this contact? The more I look at it the more I lean toward a limb driver or limb driven rest.

In God we trust wilkersonhunter's Avatar

i like my limbdriver rest its not micro adjust but when i get it locked down i am good to go. i just wish they had that feature on it. It would make walk back tuning a lot easier
    truball shooting staff
    2012 pse dreamseason evo 6
    member of the 160" 8ptr club
    [/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
    treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff

That small amount of contact is normal. Make sure to use it **** feather up, eyeball and don't worry about it, do you think reo wilde doesnt have any contact with his super thin X10's? (if thats the arrow he still uses lol).

The liz is the way to go but has some limitations. Just got done setting up a couple of TripWire drop aways with my home-made version of a 50% containment liz and took them out for a test ride tonite.......NICE!!!!

Gonna use them for everything from now on!!!!
    Last edited by MickeyBee; 12-31-2011 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilkersonhunter View Post
    i like my limbdriver rest its not micro adjust but when i get it locked down i am good to go. i just wish they had that feature on it. It would make walk back tuning a lot easier
    That is why I am thinking of trying out the Pro Drop AAE. Still debating though.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyBee View Post
    The liz is the way to go but has some limitations. Just got done setting up a couple of TripWire drop aways with my home-made version of a 50% containment liz and took them out for a test ride tonite.......NICE!!!!

Gonna use them for everything from now on!!!!
    I liked the trip wire...I just felt that I would get inconsistent contact every so often.
    I would love to see pics of what you did.

Quote Originally Posted by The G View Post
    That small amount of contact is normal. Make sure to use it **** feather up, eyeball and don't worry about it, do you think reo wilde doesnt have any contact with his super thin X10's? (if thats the arrow he still uses lol).
    I am sure he gets contact as do all the pros...yet this is what they choose. I just wonder what makes them more "consistent" then a limbdriver. I think it would be very difficult to have the same type of contact shot after shot, arrow after arrow. If vanes are slightly off, nocks not perfect aligned, etc. I just think a drop away that uses a blade (pro-drop/ limb driver) would be more forgiving.
    Last edited by alaz; 12-31-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Like the G said....if you setup a blade rest and your arrow correctly that amount of contact is not a factor. In fact if you set it up correctly you shouldn't or won't have the contact that your appears that it is going to have.

I have NEVER had a setup with a dropaway on it that was as forgiving or shot as good as a well tuned and setup bow with a blade rest on it. They shot good...but they aren't as forgiving and I can make a blade setup shoot tighter groups.

Quote Originally Posted by alaz View Post
    I would love to see pics of what you did.
    A lot of banging the back end of a .2" drill on a piece of .020" full hard SS spring steel into a block of wood followed by some perimeter work curtesy of a cheap drum sander mounted in a drill press and then slotted with a dremmel diamond c/o tool. Last major step was to cut off the buisness end of the old launcher with the remainder to be used as a clamp. Played with the slot (and V cut) till it felt like it had the same resistance as my Pro Tuner spring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04437.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	24507 - t3h 3d shoots  

Vendetta Archery Owner jfuller17's Avatar

Nice idea!! My only complaint on the blades is falling off shooting FITA in the wind. I started using a doodle since it has two blades that seem to cradle it better. Was also looking into the brite site blade with the 3-D mount anyone have any experience with that?
    Vendetta Archery
    Strothers SR-71

thanks for the pic...looks great.

I am sure a blade when set up correctly is great. I just got this idea of contact in my head esp. with smaller diameter blades. I know brite site offers blades for that.

I would like to hear what others say about the brite site 3d blade as well.
    Last edited by alaz; 01-01-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jfuller17 View Post
    Nice idea!! My only complaint on the blades is falling off shooting FITA in the wind. I started using a doodle since it has two blades that seem to cradle it better. Was also looking into the brite site blade with the 3-D mount anyone have any experience with that?
    I also like the bodoodle...any negatives to that?
    Anyone see the AeroRest by Firenocks, any thoughts on that as well?

So far I have been using the doodle on my spot bow and its been just fine and pretty simple to set-up. I like the dual blades for support. Sometimes the vanes hit your cheek a little different depending on ATA and string angle because you have to shoot **** vane down. Put its not bad.
    Vendetta Archery
    Strothers SR-71

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyBee View Post
    A lot of banging the back end of a .2" drill on a piece of .020" full hard SS spring steel into a block of wood followed by some perimeter work curtesy of a cheap drum sander mounted in a drill press and then slotted with a dremmel diamond c/o tool. Last major step was to cut off the buisness end of the old launcher with the remainder to be used as a clamp. Played with the slot (and V cut) till it felt like it had the same resistance as my Pro Tuner spring.
    That looks good....better get to work on another one now so your not screwed when that guy Murphy shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by jfuller17 View Post
    You shouldn't have anymore problems with the arrow falling off in the wind. IF you have a solid steady draw. I have shot in some crazy winds and don't have any trouble getting drawn back and not having the arrow fall off. Even more so since I am not shooting giant arrows. If your shooting fatter arrows use a wider blade. I was shooting my XJammer27s outside the other day. It was windy as crap and I was using a standard size blade not a wide blade.

All the guys shooting FITA World Cup events are shooting in windier conditions then the avg shoot or day at the range since they are usually shot off an ocean or bay....they don't have problems with the arrow falling off. I remember Braden G, and a buddy of mine shot a FITA one day and the winds were pretty steady at 30 mph....with gust that would blow you from one target to the next one over. Braden said he hadn't seen wind that bad shooting in forever. Not one of us was having arrow falling off issues.

The 3D Tuner head is ok....some like it. I bought one to hunt with a few years back.....didn't use it long and I wouldn't want to use one for target.

What was it you didnt like about that head?
    Vendetta Archery
    Strothers SR-71

Other then the benefit of the arrow not falling off....there is no advantage over a regular blade. For me it doesn't shoot as good and it doesn't react the same way a blade does, which totally defeats the purpose of shooting a blade rest in the place. If your not going to shoot a blade...then shoot a dropaway or something else. This is nothing more then a Jerry Rig IMO

Shoot the correct blade....and or sure up your draw and it doesn't matter what the conditions are outside. The wind isn't going to blow your arrow off the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
    That looks good....better get to work on another one now so your not screwed when that guy Murphy shows up.
    Me and Murphy go way back......

made a second spring for just that occasion but, with my luck, the Trip Wire will fail before the spring does.

Blade all the way, no moving parts nothing to break

If your blade is to thin your arrow will fall off easily. To stiff and you might run into contact problems, it's not hard to figure out.

In God we trust wilkersonhunter's Avatar

i guess just call me old fashioned. i will just stick with my limb driver rest. it can surely out shoot me.
    truball shooting staff
    2012 pse dreamseason evo 6
    member of the 160" 8ptr club
    [/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
    treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff