You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default ? about changing bow

so hello everyone i am new to the forum but have been reading here awhile lots of good info and people here so i joined i have a ? and want some good honest feedback i know alot of people have there brands they like mathews, hoyt ,elite ,bowtech .just like with cars ford ,chevy, etc.. i have been shooting on and off for 15 years this year i decided to really stick with it and deer turkey and do some 3d shoots i was a little slack on cash so i bought a new 2011 bear mauler now i have a little cash saved up and was wandering if i should trade my bear in. i have a dealer here that says i can trade my bow and some cash on a couple different used bows he has like mathews switchback,outback,drenalin or reezen and he has a few hoyts like the vulcan ,turbohawk, and a couple more i am wandering is it worth it or just keep the mauler

I am a mathews guy but you need to shoot a variety of bows and see what fits you the best. Your Bear might be the one that is the most comfy to shoot. Try as many as you can then decide what is right for you..

thanks for reply just dont want to go to a shoot with a below average bow but i have heard bear has come a long ways in past couple years

In God we trust wilkersonhunter's Avatar

will agree with z7lonewolf. if youre not comfy with youre bow then you wont shoot it as accurately as you could one that fits you.
    truball shooting staff
    2012 pse dreamseason evo 6
    member of the 160" 8ptr club
    [/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
    treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff

no one can or should pick a bow for you you will have to go and shoot the others and see what bow feels best. i will say this though don't think for a second that Bear is a second class bow anymore, they are very nice i had a Bear Truth 2 and felt like you do so i sold it and bought a Hoyt Katera XL big mistake on my part i shot that Bear alot better. still to this day miss that bow.

my suggestion is go try them out let it pick you.
    good luck brother and let us know what you decide

Red. PSE Supra ME
    Black. PSE Supra ME

thanks alot for replys so far guys thats what i like about this site good feedback i am heading to local shop tomorrow to shoot a few bows and see what feels good

I'll bet that bear bow in the right hands can out shoot every one on this forum. They make top of the line junk....I'm kiddin, justkiddin

Don't buy a bow by hype, buy a bow that fits you and shoots good for you. It's the Indain behind the string not the bow in his hands that makes the shot. Don't let a dealer sweet talk you in to the latest and greatest if you like the bow your shooting now.

Red. PSE Supra ME
    Black. PSE Supra ME

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post

I'll bet that bear bow in the right hands can out shoot every one on this forum. They make top of the line junk....I'm kiddin, justkiddin
    Ya just give everyone who has a Bear that warm and fuzzy feeling don't ya
    Wherever we go, there we are.

OK guys so I been shooting bows all day in my price range and I really like the hoyt rampage it feels really good shoots good but fps are a little less than the bear I shoot will I notice this alot or will the bow be more forgiving make up for it plus it is brand new with warranty which I like versus a used bow I know nothing about but I really like look and feel of rampage any thoughts.and thanks for all the positive replys

First of all you can't go wrong with a Hoyt, I ve probably owned more hoyts than you got fingers and I can only remember using the warrenty once.......and that might of been operator error.

As far as speed difference, usually you have to give something to get something. Sooo if you get a speed bow most times you give up forgiveness, or if you buy a bow that is easy to shoot you give up speed.

My thoughts, if you got great form and think you can make a dent in the 3d world stay with the speed but if your form is lacking alittle and your just hunting and playing in the 3d world then go for shootablity.

ok guys so i bought the rampage really liking it .seems to be a little more noise than the bear any good starting points to quiet it down with brands and thanks for all the input

Hoyt Katera XT 29.5@62

Quote Originally Posted by Z7lonewolf View Post
    I am a mathews guy but you need to shoot a variety of bows and see what fits you the best. Your Bear might be the one that is the most comfy to shoot. Try as many as you can then decide what is right for you..
    I am a hoyt guy and 100% agree with this statement. Shoot what you shoot good. Deer/turkey don't survive double lung shots from a BEAR bow any more than from a HOYT, MATHEWS, etc... Good luck

Hoyt Katera XT 29.5@62

Default String Stop

I had a lot of trouble quiteing my Katera XT. Some bows are louder than others and this was one of them. I did get a lot of results from replacing the Stealthshot string stop with one from www.hi-teksports.com. Hope this helps. Also, u need to get a friend who knows bows, to stand beside you when you shoot to pin point the origin of the sound. Could be a loose screw.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkins313 View Post
    ok guys so i bought the rampage really liking it .seems to be a little more noise than the bear any good starting points to quiet it down with brands and thanks for all the input
    Double check the timing on those cams at full draw, they tend to make some noise if top and bottom cam doesn't hit the stops at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    Double check the timing on those cams at full draw, they tend to make some noise if top and bottom cam doesn't hit the stops at the same time.
    It still seems Hoyt have got it all Rough, Slow and still noisey for 2012
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    It still seems Hoyt have got it all Rough, Slow and still noisey for 2012

I see the peanut gallery is back in town.

thanks guys well most of you anyways lol had a loose bolt on stop pretty good now shot some 3d range here local with some guys with them heli-m bows shot as good as they did bow felt really good happy with my purchase as for them other bows they may make better ballons

Hoyt Katera XT 29.5@62

Glad you found the problem. Ive saw loose bolts/screws screw with peoples heads till they had a friend help listen. Good luck with the new purchase

Now you know why it was suggested to shoot what feels best for you. What brand is insignificant, go get-um.
    FBSA Member