You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hoyt Katera XT 29.5@62

Default PIG HUNTING help

Ok fellow meat seekers, help me. I went on a wild feral hog hunt a few weeks ago (with rifle) and loved it. The land ownner has the property set up for 100-150 yard shots on tripod feeders. I didn't kill anything but did see a few. HOT WEATHER on NEW YEARS seems to keep em laid up during the day. A lot of hogs are taken from this property yearly though. I need help with how to bow hunt them. I have taken many whitetails but Hogs are a new thing to me and all my hunting buddies. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The land is mostly thick cover and marshy located in SC. Probably going back in a couple of weeks. Spot and stalk is my guess.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by knarly9 View Post
    Ok fellow meat seekers, help me. I went on a wild feral hog hunt a few weeks ago (with rifle) and loved it. The land ownner has the property set up for 100-150 yard shots on tripod feeders. I didn't kill anything but did see a few. HOT WEATHER on NEW YEARS seems to keep em laid up during the day. A lot of hogs are taken from this property yearly though. I need help with how to bow hunt them. I have taken many whitetails but Hogs are a new thing to me and all my hunting buddies. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The land is mostly thick cover and marshy located in SC. Probably going back in a couple of weeks. Spot and stalk is my guess.
    them critters are fearless and territoral
    stalking would be foolish
    ask the owner to put some feed close to a treeline
    call him up and tell him your coming down and want to bowhunt
    maybe he will accomadate you

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

WoW I know the answer to this one really I do!!! this is our staple hunting diet here in Oz,Stalking Boars is A.O.K and the best time are during the miday heat althought it's winterthere right now isn't it?????Pigs connot sweat and have to controll or regulate their body heat during the day thats why you find them near waterholes wading!!!!Forget about pushing through the scrub unless you have a couple of mean nasty dogs with you who know their stuff.A good pair of dogs can hold a large boar down while you finish the job.The other way is to set a deer or other critters carcase out and set up a hide for them and give'm hell when they turn up to feed!!!they normally won't eat fresh meat so leave it for a day or two and then just wait for nature to do it's thing!!!1Post us a photo of the one that didn't get away when you hunt him down
    Cheers westy
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    WoW I know the answer to this one really I do!!! this is our staple hunting diet here in Oz,Stalking Boars is A.O.K and the best time are during the miday heat althought it's winterthere right now isn't it?????Pigs connot sweat and have to controll or regulate their body heat during the day thats why you find them near waterholes wading!!!!Forget about pushing through the scrub unless you have a couple of mean nasty dogs with you who know their stuff.A good pair of dogs can hold a large boar down while you finish the job.The other way is to set a deer or other critters carcase out and set up a hide for them and give'm hell when they turn up to feed!!!they normally won't eat fresh meat so leave it for a day or two and then just wait for nature to do it's thing!!!1Post us a photo of the one that didn't get away when you hunt him down
    Cheers westy
    with a bow
    I would want a 44 mag on my hip

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Hoyt Katera XT 29.5@62

So, if u were me, try to find a tree in the thick that I could climb with a climber, or stalk outside of the thick? I do not have access to gritty dogs to pin em up. My labrador retriever wouldnt appreciate that assignment.
    The feeders are fairly close to tree line but the trees are scrubby.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    with a bow
    I would want a 44 mag on my hip
    Smokes it's easy once someone shows you how !!!!! 99% of Boars will run scared the other 1% well maybe that 44 might come in handy????
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

So, if u were me, try to find a tree in the thick that I could climb with a climber, or stalk outside of the thick? I do not have access to gritty dogs to pin em up. My labrador retriever wouldnt appreciate that assignment.
    The feeders are fairly close to tree line but the trees are scrubby.
    Remember the critter I said you could use for the bait well if you send in the labrador,you'll have it!!!! maybe move the feeders out into the clear a little,lets face it pigs aren't the brightest of Gods Creations are they???? Their stomichs will over take their common sense before long

In God we trust wilkersonhunter's Avatar

i went on a wild boar hunt in the mountains of tennessee with my bow 2 different times and killed a 296lbr and a 314lbr and the last time i took my son and he killed also. if you take a bow, then i highly suggest using a cut on contact broad head. i used the magnus heads the 1st year and then tried the slick trick heads and both done just fine. good luck
    truball shooting staff
    2012 pse dreamseason evo 6
    member of the 160" 8ptr club
    [/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
    treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff

Quote Originally Posted by wilkersonhunter View Post
    i went on a wild boar hunt in the mountains of tennessee with my bow 2 different times and killed a 296lbr and a 314lbr and the last time i took my son and he killed also. if you take a bow, then i highly suggest using a cut on contact broad head. i used the magnus heads the 1st year and then tried the slick trick heads and both done just fine. good luck
    both of these are fine ,we use the good old tried and tested muzzy phantoms 100grn never given us a lick of trouble ever!!!!

was that in Crossville tn
    did you go on the guided hunt

Just setup a feeder or corn pile,then put a stand up and wait they will find it.Maybe mix a little strawberry jello mix in with corn.
    2010 PSE AXE 7

Hoyt Katera XT 29.5@62

I shoot the slick trick mags and love them on whitetails. I figured they'd be extremely effective on pigs too. Thanks for the tips wilkersonhunter.
    I have thought about asking the land owner to let me bait one of the feeders with another form of bait, say Acorn rage added to the corn, maybe a couple of days prior. They should go wild over this and its not gonna hurt deer feeding either cause they love that stuff. Has anyone ever used it around hogs, if so, how'd it work?

Hoyt Katera XT 29.5@62

Quote Originally Posted by OneMustFall View Post
    Just setup a feeder or corn pile,then put a stand up and wait they will find it.Maybe mix a little strawberry jello mix in with corn.
    Thats sounds like it would work, the smell, im guessing would allow them to find it quicker. Ive also heard of putting beer in sweet-feed and letting it ferment. I just dont know if I could waste that much beer.

Thats sounds like it would work, the smell, im guessing would allow them to find it quicker. Ive also heard of putting beer in sweet-feed and letting it ferment. I just dont know if I could waste that much beer.
    Ya save the beer for when you BBQ the hog.........
    2010 PSE AXE 7

Default Check this out

Here's a mate of ours mick doing what you want to do!!!Hope this helps you

http://youtu.be/_VpRU0S36M8

Cheers Westy

Here's a little bit more this time with the recurve and no 44 mag anywhere to be seen!!!!!

http://youtu.be/T_2vFHIC9sA

Hope this gives you some ideas knarly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    was that in Crossville tn
    did you go on the guided hunt
    no, it was in monteray tenn. and i didnt use a guide. they just showed me a map of the 2300 acre ranch and me and my son took out on the 4 wheeler. Its a lot of fun but i am wanting to give ken moodys ranch a try. i beleive its in clarkrange tenn.
    truball shooting staff

High lights from day 4 please enjoy !!!!These are live feeds to youi tube
    http://youtu.be/VpoOPOuW_C0

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    High lights from day 4 please enjoy !!!!These are live feeds to youi tube
    http://youtu.be/VpoOPOuW_C0

THIS GUY IS BARE FOOTED!!!
    truball shooting staff

Hoyt Katera XT 29.5@62

THIS GUY IS BARE FOOTED!!!
    You guys not have snakes down under? Here in hog country, we got too many biting critters. Copperheads and Cottonmouths tend to hang out with pigs. Rattlesnakes too. Thanks for the video links though Westy. He makes it look almost easy.