You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking How's archery doing in your neck of the woods ?

Is it growing where you live , as there are maybe enough hunters here in the westcentral part of Iowa , but fewer 3d SHOOTS , fewer clubs and few proshops left , as alot of archers buy from the larger retailers that are about an hour and half away , cause you have to now , almost !

How is archery doing in your neck of this world of slinging arrows ?

not good. the club I belong to has shut down. a few years ago we had a 100 plus members. went down to 3 members. not enough money to pay the taxes on it. dont know what will happen to the building and land. the last president would only have spot shoots. which is way down here. need to get into ASA maybe and have some 3D shoots?????????. open to any suggestions.
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

kind of wierd . archery equipment sales is around normal . but leagues shooters are down for 3rd year in a row . 4 years ago i had 80 shooters this year 36 but walkin shooting is up .

The shop I go to is almost always buzy and there are more shoots this year than last year. but we'll have to see how the turnout is.

Well good News here????Our club still has 190 members and we have20 new members this year!!The weird thing is though the local pro shops ae all closing down bar 3 and the one I use is looking a little shakey!!!!!They blame E-Bay but the truth is they have somewhere between 50-70% mark-up on there prices ,compaired to E-bay or the net IE: Capellas!!!People don't mind being taken to the prom but there not going to be XXXXXXXX as well!!!serves them right I say!!!
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Not in any club as there aren't any within an hour's drive from me worth a hoot and the wife and I wanted to try our hand at 3D this year.
    I'll be Da&^ed if I buy a big ticket item such as a bow from the big box store.
    Wherever we go, there we are.

Check this mob out????They make even smokes look Refined We have a rule here you have to wear shoes while shooting??? Pants are optional though????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2050008.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	24803 - t3h 3d shoots  
    Last edited by Westy; 02-05-2012 at 03:19 AM.
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

In God we trust wilkersonhunter's Avatar

Here in ky, its at about its peak. there are a few shooters around. our club had 66 shooters at last months shoot.
    truball shooting staff
    2012 pse dreamseason evo 6
    member of the 160" 8ptr club
    [/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
    treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff

It does pretty good in my area, mostley hunters in my area so the 3 clubs in the area that have 3d shoots over the summer set them up short and not real difficult, we do alot of traveling to get to the bigger clubs with tougher courses and more competition. typical 3d shoot by us will pull 30 to 50 shooters..I think the clubs could do better with things that would help make there shoots better.

See a good amount of kids shooting youth leagues, but have a feeling after them leagues the parents and kids are not pursuing archery farther.

the future of the sport is the kids..without them involved it could hurt in the future.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Our shoots were off 14% last year and it was the same the year before that. I'm hearing similar reports from the other clubs around the southern half of the state as well. We think the economy/gas prices etc. are what is hurting us.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Check this mob out????They make even smokes look Refined We have a rule here you have to wear shoes while shooting??? Pants are optional though????

Well that's kind of dissappointing.......................not a single safari hat in your whole group of mates.

Not even a single foster's to be found on the table or in hand.

No dead roo's..... or even alittle croc layin around..........

why for all we know you could be in BFE Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    Well that's kind of dissappointing.......................not a single safari hat in your whole group of mates.

Not even a single foster's to be found on the table or in hand.

No dead roo's..... or even alittle croc layin around..........

why for all we know you could be in BFE Iowa.
    How could you tell??? Did you notice the 3 ft of snow laying on the ground??????

had my first indoor 3d tourny of the year yesterday and today use to get 35 to 40 shooters had 7 yesterday .let you know what i get today .

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    had my first indoor 3d tourny of the year yesterday and today use to get 35 to 40 shooters had 7 yesterday .let you know what i get today .
    Now thats really bad sorry to here this!!!!Maybe if the equipment was put back to the price normal people could afford to pay it might make a differance?????

Talking A little known fact !

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    Our Clubs paper shoot (5 spot 300) got about 11 shooters the last time we had it about three years ago , and we stopped doing it , but we got about 44 shooters a few weeks ago at our first indoor 3D this year , which is fine as we had 70+ alot for that !

We have an animal league every week !

ended up with 15

kerplunk

Default Archery strong in north east

Our club is located in south eastern massachusetts. We have 325 members and continue to take new members each month. Archery remains strong in our area. Housing development puts limits on hunting with shotguns for large game but seems favorable for the archers in our area. I think the challenge for any club wanting to grow their archery program is multifold; build a strong committee with competent leadership, focus on all member archers and non member guest archers 'as your customers'; look for ways to offer an appealing program, be creative, develop new revenue streams for archery, get a youth (joad or after the school program going), really think outside the box. This may be easy to say (it is) and many clubs face great challenges today, but archery is such a great sport that it's worth all the hard work.

we are members of the Tri-County 3D League which is comprised of about 12 area clubs. we hold between 3-4 league 3d tournaments per year and last year we decided to hold back to back saturday and sunday shoots to offer archers the opportunity to shoot either day or both and as insurance against one bad weather day. Our committee has made the commitment to move towards 100% rinehart targets (we're at 80+% today), we've added a few additional lanes on our 3D course and change target locations and stake distances from tourn. to tourn. the course is never set up the same and we make many shots very challenging. we are working hard in the kitchen to offer quality food for both our all you can eat country breakfast and our lunch menu. on average we see 100+ archers at the club on most tournament days. our youth program is thriving, we have 4 certified instructors with 2 going forward for their level 2 cert this coming May. we hold 2 3D youth tournaments each year,. these are run on pretty much a cover our cost only basis as our objective is to get the kids interested in outdoor 3D and allow for their parents to participate more fully. at the end of each youth tournament the kids receive an olympic style medal with neck ribbon and the winners in each category get to pick out their prize from a large selection of prizes that we've purchased in advance. we activekly advertise the program with periodic press releases (the papers love the pictures we include) and it gets us good free advertising of the archery program and club as well. None of the above would be possible without a strong and active committee and supporting Board of Directors who see the value in the program.
    Last edited by allen newell; 02-13-2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: LEFT ADDIT'L INFO OUT

Alan Newell, that is awesome stuff there my friend!!

We also believe in the youth. Are high school archery club puts on the 3d shoots as well. Right now we average 35 - 45 a shoot. we want to up our attendance so instead of just having regular club shoots we are starting to have more specialty shoots. One is our team challenge, which is a team of 1 adult and 1 high/jr. high student, best arrow scores. Giving out some nice trophies for this. We also have 3 other specialty shoots this year. Were growing slowly but steady.

I really like the idea of certified instructor!

We have an animal league every week !
    You and I should fit right in then ,what you think???????

kerplunk

Default Feedback to es21

ES21
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU FOLKS ARE ON YOUR WAY TO GROW YOUR PROGRAM. HERE'S A COUPLE OF THINGS WE'VE DONE TO INCREASE ATTENDANCE AND INTEREST IN OUR SHOOTS. WE MODIFIED OUR 3D SHOOT SIGN IN SHEETS TO CAPTURE ARCHER EMAIL ADDRESSES (IT'S STICTLY VOLUNTARY AT SIGN IN, WE ASK FOR IT ONLY). ALL EMAIL ADDRESSES ARE ADDED TO OUR ARCHERY GROUP EMAIL AND WE HAVE COLLECTED WELL OVER 100 EMAIL ADDRESSES TODATE. WE DON'T ABUSE THIS AND ONLY SEND OUT GROUP EMAILS TWICE PRIOR TO EACH 3d SHOOT. WE ALSO HAVE CAPTURED THE EMAIL ADDRESSES OF ALL OUR LOCAL SPORTS NEWSPAPER EDITORS AND OTHERS IMPORTANT TO US. tHESE ADDRESSES ARE PART OF A 'PRESS RELEASE' GROUP EMAIL GROUP WE'VE BUILT TO NOTIFY THE LOCAL PRESS OF OUR ARCHERY SHOOTS AND OTHER EVENTS WE WANT TO PUBLICIZE. AT THE CONCLUSION OF OUR YOUTH TOURNAMENTS WE WRITE UP A STORY COMPLETE WITH PHOTOS OF THE YOUTH ARCHERS AND THIS GETS SENT OUT TO ALL THE NEWSPAPERS. THERE ISN'T A CREDIBLE NEWSPAPER ANYWHERE THAT WON'T PUBLISH A YOUTH STORY AND THIS IS TRUE FOR ARCHERY. IT HELPS TO CONTINUE TO GIVE THE CLUB FAVORABLE REVIEW IN THE PUBLICS MIND AND CONTRIBUTES TO THE GROWTH OF OUR JOAD PROGRAM. (I HAD A CALL TODAY FROM A PARENT WHO SAW OUR PRESS RELEASE STORY WE WROTE RECENTLY ABOUT CELEBRATING OUR FOURTH YEAR OF OUR JOAD PROGRAM AND HAVING TAUGHT BASIC ARCHERY TO OVER 100 AREA BOYS AND GIRLS, THIS PARENT WANTS TO ENROLL HER 11 YR OLD SON IN OUR JOAD PROGRAM AND HE'LL START TOMORROW NIGHT. ) ADVERTISING YOUR ARCHERY PROGRAM CAN BE VIRTUALLY FREE AND ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE A YOUTH PROGRAM. OUR CLUB WEBSITE BY THE WAY IS AS FOLLOWS: WWW.MONUMENTBEACHSPORTS.COM WE'D LIKE TO HEAR MORE FROM YOU ABOUT YOUR SEPCIAL PROGRAMS YOU RUN. AND WE'D LIKE TO LEARN FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE, AS WELL AS THE EXPERIENCE OF OTHERS.