You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Default Practice How Much is right amount?

Got out to practice today. Set up my imitation 3d deer from Cabelas. Set a 20 yard shoot to start. Also set up a 30 yard stick so now we can shoot even further from the deer. Now for my first question. How much do you shoot each day to get back into the groove? I shot really badly at first then everything started to click where I was hitting the target. On my last round I hit the target with all of my arrows, and had 2 in the scoring ring. Figured tomorrow I would also try to shoot from the 30 yard marker. How much time should I spend shooting from each marker each day?

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

I end up probably averaging twice a week. I shoot a couple of 5-6 arrow volleys at 20yds just to warm up; then unless I'm at an indoor range where I can't move back at the time I'll shoot the rest from 25 to 35. I rarely shoot more than 50-60 arrows or so at a time. I'm primarily a hunter so I'm not training like a big time competitive shooter. My first 3D shoot of the year I skipped one of the back of a bedded sheep, another I took a high 5 (still can't judge distance worth a ); and all the rest were 8's, 10's or 11's so that gives you an idea of what kind of a shooter I am - if you are looking to be a serious competitor you shouldn't use me as an example! .
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

I practice about 5-6 days per week. I only discovered archery a couple years ago and I enjoy competitive target shooting so I am trying to get to be a good archer in a short amount of time. Right now is indoor season so that's what I am doing. I shoot 2 5 spot leagues and since I am not able to get to the range as often as I would like, I have a target set up at 7 yards in my basement that I shoot on the days when I am not at league or able to get to the range. I focus on form and shot execution. How long my sessions are varies. Last night I only shot for a half hour. I was shooting good and for some reason started to feel my bow arm getting tired and I was struggling to hold it up so I quit. I always end on a good shot too. My getting tired could have had something to do with the fact that I took 2 days off from shooting and I carried a 1 year old around most of the day yesterday. Anyway, there will be no more days off for this week unless something unforseen happens. Since last night was a short session, tonight will most likely be closer to an hour or hour and a half. I alternate short and long sessions. Some days I will shoot all afternoon if I have the time. I'm always shooting with a purpose too. If you are going to shoot a bunch, make sure you are not overbowed. Let your body tell you when to stop and stretch before shooting.
    Proudly representing BowTech, Oak Ridge Archery, Vaportrail, Gold Tip, Dead Center Archery Products and CNC slings for the 2012 season

It's not necessarily about how much you practice but how you practice. Set some goals for your practices, like working on not grabbing the bow or pulling through the shot, and work on perfecting your form and shot execution and quit if you find yourself getting sloppy. You might even keep a journal of your practicing to track how you did with your goals and what you need to work on next time. To steal a quote from Vince Lombardi, "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect."

SuperMag I would Love to shoot with you sometime. Maybe we can hook up sometime and you can help me since I have had no formal training in shooting a Recurve Bow! Sure wish you werent so far away in Nebraska. The reason I am asking about the amount is because I want to become good at shooting, but I also am a little competitive. One of my problems in getting to shoot everyday is going to the gym. I work out at the gym every night except sunday. Plus there are times when I get off late and then like tonight it got dark on me. I want to use my backyard to do most of my practicing. But I have 3 dogs and they are all a pain. If I am out they want to be out. So therein lies part of my problem. The other is the most distance I can shoot is about 30 yards. My backyard isnt so big. I have also heard of making my targets smaller. Like milk jugs, and water bottles. If I could shoot either of these I do believe I would be a good if not GREAT SHOT! Thank You all for trying to help me.

Respectfully, Rickey

About the closest I make it to shoot in your direction is Big Indian Archers in Wymore, NE. If you get the chance, it would certainly be worth the trip to shoot one of their shoots (the one on labor day weekend is huge for just being a club shoot).

It's always hard finding time to practice, that makes it even more important to make that practice time quality practice time. Since you're shooting a recurve, 30 yards it plenty (you'll probably never have to shoot farther than that in a 3D tournament anyways). If you're just getting started, stay close to the target and work on getting good close and work your way back. It might take some time before you're keeping them all on the target at 30 but it will come. I would recommend you check out the Masters of the Barebow series. I have heard great things about it but haven't had the chance to watch it myself.

BTW, since you're an instinctive (I'm assuming) recurve shooter, you'll have a hard time finding people that can probably give you good coaching advice. What works for one guy, might not work for the next and most of the time you're just going to have to find what works for you (a good example is the variety of ways and combinations of ways people aim w/o sights). One thing I can recommend for you to work on is finding a good, repeatable anchor point and work on always releasing from that anchor point.
    Last edited by Supermag; 02-09-2012 at 01:57 AM.

Rick... I have some info that might help you understand and get a griop on what you are trying to accomplish... contact me privately at jackbthomas857@gmail.com and I will email you some unpublished articles that I have just written. I am an old NFAA Barebow competitor with State, Region and National titles... a former JOAD Instructor. I think I can help you with your scoring consistency... it is probably more mental than physical (smile).

Jack
    #####################

I'm from Vermont but don't want to have to stop all winter because I'm just barely learning with my bow, but I'm not sure if there are any indoor archery ranges. My work shifts are crazy and between that, weather and running training I can't shoot every day but if I go 3-4 days without shooting I get really rusty. Does having a week without practice (for travel, work schedule,etc) get less detrimental when you have more experience and better muscle memory? I really like my new bow so I like to practice as much as possible but right now I can shoot only about 55 arrows per session or my arm shakes all over the place. Thank you,
    Howlindawgs (6 dogs at our house!)