You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default My shooting alley

40 yards from here
    My shooting alley - General Archery Forum

30 yards from here

20 yards from here

I can hit the deer from this 10 yard shot but I sure am glad he can't run off as I don't think I have killed him yet. I can also hit a bale of hay from here.

Should anyone see something that needs to be addressed please let me know as I know nothing about what I am doing. It took me a while to figure out that the end with the split thing on it went on the twine and not the pointed end.
    My grandson keeps telling me that the stick goes on that thing he calls a rest and not on the flat part of the bow. I didn't even know that that "U" looking thing moved up when the twine is pulled back.

I do have some issues with this set up. Should I miss the target sometimes the arrow will land between two bales of hay which means that I have to un-stack the hay to find it.

What about using foam as a back stop of say 8 inches thick? I am talking about the stuff that cushions are stuffed with.

A big feed bag stuffed with old clothes works real well for a back stop.

Don't forget to cut any buttons, zippers, or snaps off before you stuff them in the bag.

Nice range...........I bet it would make a nice horse barn too.

if you've got an old stall mat or two, those make an excellent backstop. Maybe hang one or two a row of bales deep so the hay has a little help catching the strays.

We started this farm off with 26 horses but we are down to 5 that are real old. The bottom fell out about the same time the economy started dropping so we now give the horses a place to live out their lives. The five remaining were our personal stock that we showed but they are too old to work anymore, sort of like we are.

So what to do with this barn? How about an indoor shooting range?
    One of these days I will be noticed at the 3D range. I just got to figure out which arrow is best and how to stop wondering that pin around so much. I concentrate on the sweet spot but that pin just won’t get still.

Do you recon that I will ever get this down pat? I sure hope so because my arms are sore from shooting two hours a day for the past week. Well some of that time was spent digging around in that hay looking for that wild arrow.

Don't kid yourself..........that pin is never going to stop.

Slowing the float down and keeping it in the X ring is the trick.

Slowing the float down is the job of the stabilizer(not vibration control). Find the right stabilizer for you and your set up and it will go along way to control the float.

Fight the float and you will start jerking and bobbing and next thing you know your digging for arrows in the hay bails. You have to learn how to watch the small spot you want to hit, let the pin float and trust your going to hit the spot when the shot goes off.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    Don't kid yourself..........that pin is never going to stop.

Slowing the float down and keeping it in the X ring is the trick.

Slowing the float down is the job of the stabilizer(not vibration control). Find the right stabilizer for you and your set up and it will go along way to control the float.

Fight the float and you will start jerking and bobbing and next thing you know your digging for arrows in the hay bails. You have to learn how to watch the small spot you want to hit, let the pin float and trust your going to hit the spot when the shot goes off.
    That would have to be one of the most honest answers I've heard here ,very well said Gattor
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

In God we trust wilkersonhunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    40 yards from here

30 yards from here

20 yards from here

I can hit the deer from this 10 yard shot but I sure am glad he can't run off as I don't think I have killed him yet. I can also hit a bale of hay from here.

Should anyone see something that needs to be addressed please let me know as I know nothing about what I am doing. It took me a while to figure out that the end with the split thing on it went on the twine and not the pointed end.
    My grandson keeps telling me that the stick goes on that thing he calls a rest and not on the flat part of the bow. I didn't even know that that "U" looking thing moved up when the twine is pulled back.
    yeah, dont let anyone step out any of those doors. just kidding looks great to me.
    truball shooting staff
    2012 pse dreamseason evo 6
    member of the 160" 8ptr club
    [/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
    treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff

Talking Here's what I think !

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    That would have to be one of the most honest answers I've heard here ,very well said Gattor
    I agree , Gator writes it correct !

Quote Originally Posted by Carpshooter View Post
    I agree , Gator writes it correct !

That was my one smart comment for the month...........don't expect anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by wilkersonhunter View Post
    yeah, dont let anyone step out any of those doors. just kidding looks great to me.
    Someone did walk out of the wash stall as I was about to release. One can enter the barn through the wash stall. I now have signs posted warning folks to watch for the Switzer and his deadly bow.

I have had a lot of fun digging through the hay bales looking for arrows for the past couple of weeks. For years no one come to visit me at the barn but recently I seem to have more and more visitors. It is getting to the point to where I have to schedule my shooting times in my own barn.

I might see a profit in this in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    Someone did walk out of the wash stall as I was about to release. One can enter the barn through the wash stall. I now have signs posted warning folks to watch for the Switzer and his deadly bow.

I have had a lot of fun digging through the hay bales looking for arrows for the past couple of weeks. For years no one come to visit me at the barn but recently I seem to have more and more visitors. It is getting to the point to where I have to schedule my shooting times in my own barn.

I might see a profit in this in the near future.
    don't hold your breath on the profit thing ,but isn't nice when people want something you've got????
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.