You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default realistic lifespan of a bow?

What do ya think?
    With regular maintainance I think at least 10 if not 20 years. I know the bow manufacturers don't want anybody to to keep one that long, hampers new bow sales.
    FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    What do ya think?
    With regular maintainance I think at least 10 if not 20 years. I know the bow manufacturers don't want anybody to to keep one that long, hampers new bow sales.
    My pops has a old Conquest Pro he got about 12 years ago. Had to get the cam replaced last year, which was free (gotta love lifetime warranties). He can still drive tacks with it.

I think Carpy has one of the original hoyt's ever made.

And by the sounds of it that bow can still miss with the best of em.

I had a old pearson bow that I used for almost 15 years before I got the itch for a new one.

Talking A little known fact !

I own one of the first Hoyt tec bows , an Alphatec that doesn't have that word on it , just Hoyt on the riser and also carbonite on each of it's limbs ! This bow is about 17 years old , also have a Jennings Buckmaster that was made the first year that Jennings , I'm thinking it was 1997 ( Bear archery ) , produced them .

I shoot both bows even today ! I'd place the value of the Hoyt at $100 barebow , as it is a chromed & painted bow . The camo Jennings is worth about $ 150 fully loaded !

I believe that the better bows were built around 1996 on , some of the really older ones are not worth owning or fixing .

I do use a Martin Firecat ( painted target bow in it's first life , worth maybe $50 with a $50 bill ) from the mid 90s that for some reason keeps right on killing underwater critters ( mostly carp ) .

I believe that the fast flight system really changed alot of things , better string materials , doing away with the teardrop system , plus the better limbs that were on Martin , Hoyt and other fine companies , that used quality materials .

I've have shot most of my deer with a Hoyt Accutec ( worth maybe $150 , CAUSE IT'S CAMO ) , a 1997-98 model .

The newer bows today are usually shorter and lighter with less vibration issues over the early models , plus better grips !

I like Hoyts newer than 94 models , but would buy a Bear/ Jennings later than a 1996 model or a Martin from the mid 90s or later !

I think most of today's bow are made well , or they will be history soon !

I could go on and on , but the best bow that I have ever shot was an Oneida , but my archery buddies have told me that I'm on my own if I buy one !

Bows resale is really terrible compare to guns ! ( fact is it downright crazy )_

Just remember that you can buy better vibration devices , rests , sites , strings , etc. to upgrade you bow , as it's only money !

I do like many other brands of bows such as PSE , Bowtech , Diamond , Mathews ( there I wrote it , Westy ) , Darten , Elite , Alpine , Mission and there are others !

Wish you well , if you buy a used bows , such as Elite Archery bow , has a lifetime warranty on their bows , used or new forever regardless of first , second or whatever owner !

I do own a newer Hoyt /Reflex bow , 2007 Caribou and a Mathews /Mission Menace , 2010 model . , both brought new !

I do own a newer Mathews /Mission Menace , 2010 model . , brought new !

I'm not sure I should still be talking to you!!!
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Talking Here's what I think !

Westy , let's settle that in the offtopic section , and at least be civil here , where we are part of the brotherhood of archery !

Jennings been around since the 70's at least.
    Bow resale sucks, I rarely buy new for that reason.
    I had at least 4 with the teardrops. A Bear, Martin, and 2 Hoyts.
    Still have 2 Mathews last made in 2002. My favorite bows.
    Got 1 newer hybrid cam bow.
    My point being, if you have one that your comfy with, shoot well, etc etc, no reason to buy a new one every year. They last quite a long time.
    FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    Jennings been around since the 70's at least.
    Bow resale sucks, I rarely buy new for that reason.
    I had at least 4 with the teardrops. A Bear, Martin, and 2 Hoyts.
    Still have 2 Mathews last made in 2002. My favorite bows.
    Got 1 newer hybrid cam bow.
    My point being, if you have one that your comfy with, shoot well, etc etc, no reason to buy a new one every year. They last quite a long time.
    Ain't that the truth !!!!!Resale sure sucks the big one!!!!!
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Talking A little known fact !

Sometimes crying about bow resale is all you can do !

I have a 1982 Martin Cougar and shoot it occasionally.

The condition is near new, but it's not a pleasant bow to shoot. Really heavy and lots of hand shock.

It's made to be shot with fingers because the sight window is not cut past center so I have to use a recurve arrow rest. It's not that it's too old to shoot. It's just that the design is so far behind newer bows that I don't want to shoot it. When I want to shoot with fingers, my recurves are a lot more pleasant to shoot.

The riser is all white, so it makes a nice wall hanger. I only shoot it when I want to remind myself how nice the more recent designs really are.

Allen

I have a bear polar II that is still shooting. I think that I bought it in 1975.

I shoot a well maintained odenida eagle aero force 80x and its accurate and easy to shoot plus its fun to see bow mechs faces go blank when i take it to have anything done to it its really made me a pretty good mechanic myself oh yeah its a 1996

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Ber, I can imagine the look. Not many of the bow mechanics around at shops were even born when it was made.
    Some of the old bows were accurate enough, but I agree the newer ones are more pleasant to shoot. Recoil, or handshock is a thing of the past. I had a few that would rattle your fillings loose compared to todays bows.
    FBSA Member

Thats what my friends say they always want me to shoot theirs but ill wait till im ready to drop a grand on a new one to try a new one otherwise i wont be happy with mine anymore so i fear anyway

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

I recently sold my old Hoyt Rebel that I had for about 15 or 16 years. All but one year I used it to take either a deer or elk or both each season. It was a great bow for me and never thought about getting a new one until I shot a friends new bow.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Magico View Post
    I recently sold my old Hoyt Rebel that I had for about 15 or 16 years. All but one year I used it to take either a deer or elk or both each season. It was a great bow for me and never thought about getting a new one until I shot a friends new bow.
    And so for you my friend the etrnial search has begun!!!!!Also to 3D shoots glad to have you here and hope you stick around

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    And so for you my friend the etrnial search has begun!!!!!Also to 3D shoots glad to have you here and hope you stick around
    Thank you for the warm welcome. I had been looking for a bow since this passed October. I shot quite a few and hmm and hawed over a few but yesterday picked up a Bowtech Assassin. I was completely impressed with the performance to price ratio and since I don't plan on using it for anything other than hunting I didn't think I could justify a $1000 bow.

I shot it for a about 2 hours yesterday also, so far I am happy with it.

I still ocassionally shoot and tried to shoot my doe ( No shots offered while it was doe only)this year for my earn a buck with a 1983 Golden Eagle Hunter.

I just got this great antique from my wife for Christmas, but it is kind of cheating because it was NOS. A 1994 High Country Excaliber with Black riser and Silver limbs. It shoots 304 with a 354 grain arrow at 70.77 and 30 inch draw mod twisted to get me down to my 29.5" draw. It now has a black and silver string to match the bow and a Sword 3rd plane sight. Going to christen it at its first 3d this weekend!

realistic lifespan of a bow? - General Archery Forum