You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Default Calculate arrow weight with tip for your poundage of Bow?

What is the formula or number you are trying to get with your arrow, and tip for your specific Bow?
    How many grams per inch?
    So far I have encountered 85 gr, and 125 gr tips. Is there a specific number that we are supposed to have to match our pound of pull for our bows?

Respectfully, Rickey

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Minimum is 5gr per pound of draw weight. For hunting I like to go more like 6 to 7. Tip weight can be used to work on FOC, spine, and overall arrow weight. 100gr is very common as well. Here's a site to crunch numbers on:
    http://www.stickemarchery.com/sticke...lculators.aspx
    Last edited by dbdcougar; 03-14-2012 at 07:23 AM.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Quote Originally Posted by dbdcougar View Post
    Minimum is 5gr per pound of draw weight. For hunting I like to go more like 6 to 7. Tip weight can be used to work on FOC, spine, and overall arrow weight. 100gr is very common as well. Here's a site to crunch numbers on:
    http://www.stickemarchery.com/sticke...lculators.aspx
    Now this number is the total weight of my arrows I should be shooting plus the tip, or including the tip wt?

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Includes tip weight.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

IBO spec is 5 gr per inch of arrow so the bare minimum for any arrow will be length x 5gr. then you add in nock, fletchings, insert(s) and tip (point) For hunting I like 8-9 gr per inch for shaft weight. My current arrows are at 475 gr with a 100 gr point, FOC for these arrows is 8.5. These arrows fly true and flat out of my bow setup. I like having a KE figure of over 50 for hunting arrows.
    Last edited by chip; 05-24-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    Bear Encounter: 60 lb dw 30" DL G5 peep, tru-fire
    We love visitors, that's why we live in a secluded cabin deep in the woods.

as others have mentioned, 5 grains per lb is the accepted MINIMUM. You can go as heavy as you like. Older recurves and longbows you want to be in the 9 grans per pound range just to be kind to the limbs.
    Head or point weight, just think of it as a balancing act. I f you have 3" feathers on the back end, which don't weigh squat, you can use a light head. If you have 3 4" plastic vanes whic are alot heavier, you might want a 125 head/point. You want a fair FOC, which is a common term/abreviation for forward of center,or balance point. So to go back to the beginning, if you shoot a 60 bow, at minimum, you want a 300 grain finished arrow. For a 70 lb bow, you want a 350 grain finished weight arrow, and thats minimum. Balance the point weight to what spine and fletching you are using. Include the tip in the total weight
    IBO is 5 grains per pounds, not inch. There is a fudge factor in there, meaning a 25" shooter will not shoot the same shaft as a 30" shooter even if both are shooting 60lb bows. But bow co's seem to hold to the 5 grain per lb minimum. Play it safe.
    If it were simply 5 grains per inch I should be shooting the same arrow from my 30 lb recurve as my 60 lb compound, and I can tell you that does'nt work.
    Last edited by red44; 05-25-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    FBSA Member