You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default sight bar length

Could someone explain me the advantage of moving your scope further out and is there a point of diminishing returns?
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by alaz View Post
    Could someone explain me the advantage of moving your scope further out and is there a point of diminishing returns?
    thanks.
    I was just wondering that same question.
    We can't stop here!!! This is Bat Country!!!

there arn't really any "benefits" per say...the sight extension mostly helps to get one's scope centered inside the peep. If you use a lense you will get a little more power the further out it goes. Some people torque tune with the sight extension as well.

I notice torque and can make adjustments the further out I can extend (if that is what you mean by torque tune...)
    I also it imagine it helps with pin gaps...not sure, but I shoot a single pin.

I would like to hear more thoughts.

the longer sight will give you more accuracy. its like going from a pistol to a rifle. but it will also show how unsteady you are holding the bow. which in my case causes me to start to snap shoot or drive by shooting if I move the sight out to far. I move my sight untill it fills the peep sight which is about 4 inches from the front of the bow. move your sight out as far as it will go and try it. you can always move it back. good luck.
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

The rifle analogy makes sense. I have noticed postive results so far. I have a 6" bar and it extended all the way. I have a sight with a longer bar as well. I'll try that one next week (waiting for a scope).
    I have read that there is a sweet spot with distance, just as there is a sweet spot with where your rest is set up in relation to pivot points.

Quote Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post
    the longer sight will give you more accuracy. its like going from a pistol to a rifle. but it will also show how unsteady you are holding the bow. which in my case causes me to start to snap shoot or drive by shooting if I move the sight out to far. I move my sight untill it fills the peep sight which is about 4 inches from the front of the bow. move your sight out as far as it will go and try it. you can always move it back. good luck.
    Not true...It's not just as simple as longer=more accuracy for everyone. People jump to the pistol rifle analogy WAY to quickly, but forget that you are ALREADY holding the bow on an outstretched arm while the rear sight (peep sight) in this case is right in front of your eye. Even with your sight extension all the way in you are going to be plenty accurate. Measure that distance and it will be longer than on a rifle. Notice most pro shooters, opt for their sight manufacturer's shorter extention option, and many of those guys have the sight mounted very far in, close to the bow. Levi, Braden, come to mind, since those guys are at the top of their respective classes.

Quote Originally Posted by acesup View Post
    Not true...It's not just as simple as longer=more accuracy for everyone. People jump to the pistol rifle analogy WAY to quickly, but forget that you are ALREADY holding the bow on an outstretched arm while the rear sight (peep sight) in this case is right in front of your eye. Even with your sight extension all the way in you are going to be plenty accurate. Measure that distance and it will be longer than on a rifle. Notice most pro shooters, opt for their sight manufacturer's shorter extention option, and many of those guys have the sight mounted very far in, close to the bow. Levi, Braden, come to mind, since those guys are at the top of their respective classes.
    Looks as though some here can't handle 12"'s!!I find that what ever the game 12" helps
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

I move the site in and out to fit the scope housing perfectly in the peep site.

In my mind it has to be more than just fitting the scope with the peep. With a 3/16" peep I can pull my scope in pretty tight and fill the peep (I might have to consider a smaller peep)...but considering co's offer very long extension rods, it seems there must be more to it. Just messing with it a little and I notice that when I am doing something wrong it is more noticable with the scope further out.

I bet you notice more movement when it's all the way out too.

For me, it's all about fitting the scope in the peep and site picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post

It's all about looking cool for me!!!
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Looks as though some here can't handle 12"'s!!I find that what ever the game 12" helps
    what are you 12? That was just lame.

Default xringslam1

If using a 2-3 or 4 power scope have someone measure from peep to scope at full draw untill its 30.5 inchs this will clear youre view of target up.This info was given to me in Vegas 2008 by Dave Cousins.

In God we trust wilkersonhunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Dickens View Post
    If using a 2-3 or 4 power scope have someone measure from peep to scope at full draw untill its 30.5 inchs this will clear youre view of target up.This info was given to me in Vegas 2008 by Dave Cousins.
    i would love to hear more about that idea. this has got me curious. i have a 6" bar extended out to 4"
    truball shooting staff
    2012 pse dreamseason evo 6
    member of the 160" 8ptr club
    [/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
    treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post

I just can't resist???I do notice a lot more movement when it's all the way out as a matter of fact!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wilkersonhunter View Post
    i would love to hear more about that idea. this has got me curious. i have a 6" bar extended out to 4"
    At full draw what does that measure from peep to scope housing.

You guys got me wondering now, I'm gonna have to measure mine at full draw and see where it's at. Let you know tomorrow

I took time out from my busy day to check my sight. from the peep to the lens in the housing it is 28 3/4 inches from the peep.
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

Quote Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post
    I took time out from my busy day to check my sight. from the peep to the lens in the housing it is 28 3/4 inches from the peep.
    How is your view through the lens? If you move it out 2" more....does that impact your vision?