You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default What kind of bow to buy

Hello out there I am a totally new to this I don't even own a bow and only shot one once....I am looking into buying one for myself and would like some suggestions on which one to buy have looked at many now and still very confused they all look great....My draw length is between 29 and 30 I live in northern ontario canada and will be hunting bear and moose with this bow....If anyone can help me it would greatly be appreciated.....Would like to spend around $500 for a complete package.....

Since you're just starting out I would recomend buying a used bow until you can decide what you're bow of choice is. You can't go wrong with a mathews, hoyt or bowtech. There are other good bows out there also. For $500 you should be able to find a good bow that is all set up.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

My only fear with a used bow was condition of strings and limbs I would have to buy the bow online without being able to see the real life condition...it would also have to come with some sort of instruction as to how to adjust draw length, poundage etc....

Quote Originally Posted by beppi View Post
    My only fear with a used bow was condition of strings and limbs I would have to buy the bow online without being able to see the real life condition...it would also have to come with some sort of instruction as to how to adjust draw length, poundage etc....
    sounds to me like you need to head to a pro shop......and get filled in on the basics.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

you can check out the Diamond by bowtech bows,the rapture would be a great starter bow and the full package is only $549.00 if you want to stay at $500.00 the bow alone is $449.00 and then you can slap on some cheaper accessories and then when you can you can upgrade.here is a picture and you can visit there website at www.Diamond.com i just downloaded there catalog of the web,i'm thinking of carrying them in my store.all i have right know is hoyt and parker bow's.parker has a few good bow's at your price.
    and both these company's have a lifetime warrenty.don't buy the first one you come accross shoot everthing you can get a hold of and then make your decision.have fun and be picky.the trailblazer is a little cheaper than the rapture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bow : Hoyt Vectrix/red
    Sights : Sure-Loc supreme/Black Eagle scope
    Arrows : Axis FMJ/90g NIB
    Vanes : Duravanes 3d/2.3 Black/purple
    Rest : Smart rest
    Quiver : Bohning/Black
    Stablizer : 30" Super Stix

by the way Gander Mountain has a bow called the Guide series TEC HUNTER EXTREME.....I wish I needed a new bow....so far this year thats the bow I am the most impressed w/on the shot.....

they sell a package deal for $549 also.....

I would stay away from used bows. Head to a pro-shop and shoot all the different bows. Find one that feels good and fits you. Buy the one you are comfortable with. Find out from the pro-shop what kind of kentic energy you need for moose and bear.

Mo.Hick

Hello out there I am a totally new to this I don't even own a bow and only shot one once....I am looking into buying one for myself and would like some suggestions on which one to buy have looked at many now and still very confused they all look great....My draw length is between 29 and 30 I live in northern ontario canada and will be hunting bear and moose with this bow....If anyone can help me it would greatly be appreciated.....Would like to spend around $500 for a complete package.....

Since you said Bear and Moose, I would go with an 155mm Howitzer, either towed or self propelled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MO.HICK View Post
    I would stay away from used bows. Head to a pro-shop and shoot all the different bows. Find one that feels good and fits you. Buy the one you are comfortable with. Find out from the pro-shop what kind of kentic energy you need for moose and bear.

Mo.Hick
    All of this depends upon how money you are willing to invest into this. There are so many different options it is mind boggling, sights, arrows, release, rests, etc... The pro-shop is the best place to start, though. Just my thoughts.

to the forum beppi glad to have you here with us. First off get to a pro shop and have them measure your DL this is the one thing most shooters make a mistake in and try to shoot a longet draw than they really are. Which will lead to poor form and poor shooting. As for used bows I see nothing at all wrong with a used bow most guys take better care of their bows than they do anything else. If you are looking for a new bow under $500 I would suggest you look at either Bear Instinct or Martin Bengal. Good luck and be sure to shop around and shoot everything you can get your hands on.

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    by the way Gander Mountain has a bow called the Guide series TEC HUNTER EXTREME.....I wish I needed a new bow....so far this year thats the bow I am the most impressed w/on the shot.....

they sell a package deal for $549 also.....
    Yeah it's a Diamond made for GM...I was looking at them the other day...They have 3 or 4 different models all made by Diamond...

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    Yeah it's a Diamond made for GM...I was looking at them the other day...They have 3 or 4 different models all made by Diamond...
    if you get the chance and you have not already shot it.....do your self a favor and just shoot a few thru it......

Thanks for all the replys everyone the problem is there are no pro shops within 700km of me so I have to buy one online....Therefore I won't be able to shoot it first....We do have one tackle shop in my town but they know very little about bows and their prices are way to high....All I need is a good starter bow that will be comfortable for me to shoot and the rest I will learn as I go....The prices some of you have mentioned are they in US funds and if they are will they ship to Canada....Thanks again everyone all the information is greatly appreciated....

dodgensince74

Thanks for all the replys everyone the problem is there are no pro shops within 700km of me so I have to buy one online....Therefore I won't be able to shoot it first....We do have one tackle shop in my town but they know very little about bows and their prices are way to high....All I need is a good starter bow that will be comfortable for me to shoot and the rest I will learn as I go....The prices some of you have mentioned are they in US funds and if they are will they ship to Canada....Thanks again everyone all the information is greatly appreciated....

If I were in your place, I would make sure that I purchased a bow that I could adjust the draw length myself and not have to worry about having to buy different modules or cams. I think there is a site called hunters friend that sells bows online, but I am not sure if the name is correct, good luck on you choice.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgensince74 View Post
    If I were in your place, I would make sure that I purchased a bow that I could adjust the draw length myself and not have to worry about having to buy different modules or cams. I think there is a site called hunters friend that sells bows online, but I am not sure if the name is correct, good luck on you choice.
    Browning has a nice system you can adjust the DL without a press...
    http://www.browning-archery.com/prod...05&u=RageOneCB
    and you can buy direct from browning...Just a thought

I agree with the above info. Go to www.huntersfriend.com there is a lot of good info. on their site for a new person getting started. A shop to get measured would be good but I understand about the distances involved.

a top of the line used bow is always better than a new bottom or middle of the line bow, in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by arrow1b View Post
    a top of the line used bow is always better than a new bottom or middle of the line bow, in my opinion
    unless the limbs are broken.....