You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    236

    Default 1/4 away question

    I have a 3d question...
    Everytime I shoot an animal the is quartering away, I shoot the edge of the 8 ring (or there abouts) on the hind side. Am I just making a bad shot, or am I supposed to be aiming closer to the neck on quartering animals? I shot paper exlusively before this year...so I need a little help on this one.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Supermag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NE
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Depending on how much they're quartering away, hitting towards the back of the 8 ring would be correct on a live animal but on a 3D target, you're supposed to be shooting for score.

    Some of the Rinehart targets have a back vital that is used when the target is quartering away and the 10 ring on that is in a pretty good position for shooting at an animal that's quartering at approx. 45* to you.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
    Depending on how much they're quartering away, hitting towards the back of the 8 ring would be correct on a live animal but on a 3D target, you're supposed to be shooting for score.

    Some of the Rinehart targets have a back vital that is used when the target is quartering away and the 10 ring on that is in a pretty good position for shooting at an animal that's quartering at approx. 45* to you.
    I'm not sure if I am asking the right question...
    I want to hit the 10, but I consistently hit the 8 on quartering animals, the same spot! Should be aiming more forward on the animal to compensate, or am I just not getting a good shot off that is making me miss? Is there a particular strategy as far as aiming point when targeting a quartering 3d target?

  4. #4
    Member chip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Vilonia, AR
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alaz View Post
    I'm not sure if I am asking the right question...
    I want to hit the 10, but I consistently hit the 8 on quartering animals, the same spot! Should be aiming more forward on the animal to compensate, or am I just not getting a good shot off that is making me miss? Is there a particular strategy as far as aiming point when targeting a quartering 3d target?
    I think you are asking how to hit the 10 or 12 ring on a quartering shot on a 3D range. In this case, you would need to move your aim point forward somewhat in order to hit the score ring. In real life, your shot as is would be correct.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    I think you are asking how to hit the 10 or 12 ring on a quartering shot on a 3D range. In this case, you would need to move your aim point forward somewhat in order to hit the score ring. In real life, your shot as is would be correct.
    That is what I figured.
    thanks.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Supermag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NE
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Ok, sorry about the confusion. Yes, move your point of aim forward a bit. On broadside shots, many people just run up the backside of the leg to the middle of the body and you're there but on a quartering away, it's more like running up the middle of the front legs to get where you need to be.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
    Ok, sorry about the confusion. Yes, move your point of aim forward a bit. On broadside shots, many people just run up the backside of the leg to the middle of the body and you're there but on a quartering away, it's more like running up the middle of the front legs to get where you need to be.
    thanks...that gives me a solid point of reference

Similar Threads

  1. Cam question
    By Gus Archer in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 07:06 PM
  2. cam question
    By kb4422 in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-01-2009, 11:04 PM
  3. Question
    By begarcher in forum Tournament Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 10:08 AM
  4. Ibo Question???
    By HOYT4LIFE in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-01-2007, 09:47 AM
  5. i have a question??????
    By natedog in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-28-2007, 12:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •