You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Question anybody w/ review on hoyt vulcan

has anyone shot the vulcan yet? im brand new to bow hunting and ive been wearing out my dads cybertec but i deffinatly wanna get a bow of my own. ive been researching all the bows i can but no one has a review on any of hoyt's 07 lineup. i went to the proshop around here last week to refletch some arrows i tore up and the owner had set up a vulcan w/ a 26.5 draw which didnt leave me a prayer... but i wanted to shoot it so bad. anybody got a vulcan, or anything from the 07 line?

I have shot it.it's ok.but you can't relie on other peoples opion's on choosing a bow you need to shoot all the bow's you can get your hands on and pick one that feels good to you and that you feel comfy with.be very very picky when choosing your 1st 2nd 3rd and so on bow.get one that will do everything that you want it to do and that you want to do with it.

Bow : Hoyt Vectrix/red
    Sights : Sure-Loc supreme/Black Eagle scope
    Arrows : Axis FMJ/90g NIB
    Vanes : Duravanes 3d/2.3 Black/purple
    Rest : Smart rest
    Quiver : Bohning/Black
    Stablizer : 30" Super Stix

to the forum glad to have you here with us.

I have shot the Vectrix and Vulcan and they both shoot and feel very good to me. Could'nt really tell much difference in the speed of the Vulcan if any.

But as ladyarcher has said do not take someone elses word for it. You need to shoot as many bows as possible and let the bow pick you. Good luck and have fun.

"HONDA"

Never shot one...Just wanted to say hello and Welcome...

Default Welcome to the forum

I have a Vulcan on order....IF it ever gets here I will let you know what I think

If its anything like the Vectrix or 38 Pro its going to be a great bow.

I bought a vectrix xl, and like it alot, it shoots great, i have also shot the vulcan, pry on 4 differnt occasions, its got alot of speed, outdose the vectrix, and trykon, its verry smooth, i was impressed, I was going to get one for hunting, but decided to keep my trykon, witch is also a awsome shooter, but a little bit harder draw cycle then the vectrix. but its also got 80% letoff so it seems differnt. If you like the hoyts and they fit your style and needs, and feel good in your hand, i dont think you can go wrong with 1........ I wouldnd be afraid at looking into the trykon or trykon xl, everyone is preaching the vectrix,and trashing the trykon, but i own both, and for me the trykon will shoot with the vectrix anyday of the week, in my hands anyways. Good luck hope this helps.

Default Vulcan

My review of Vectrix, Vulcan, the Dren

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me start out by saying that Hoyt and Mathews did a great job this year...Fit and finish on both the Hoyt and Mathews were outstanding..

This isnt going to be a long review...

I took my 05 Switchback with me and 3 arrows weight 409 grains each so I could compare my current bow with a couple of the new ones out...I also wanted to see if any would be worth upgrading to...

I shot the Vulcan first, let me say that I was wearing a heavy sweatshirt on-pourpose to see if I could get any of these bows to hang up on loose clothing...The Vulcan; arrow after arrow was quiet, the draw cycle was smoothe and the wall was like a rock, I think the new draw stop was a big help...The bow was completly dead in my hand, I had no sling, after the shot the bow rolled forward ever so slow...And that was with out a stabilizer...I couldnt believe that a speed bow was so shock free, quiet and I never hit my loose sleeve once...I didnt have a sight and I was grouping arrows @ 30 yards in a 4 inch group...I cant remeber the last time I shot instinctive I dont really think you need a stabilizer on this bow, unless you have it to hold your sling on...This bow dont shoot like a short brace height bow...I really think the stealth shot does the trick to quiet the string ocillation and keep the string from slapping the loos clothing or your arm...

Now here is the real kicker...This bow holds steady as a rock and shot 293 FPS consistantly with a 409 grain arrow @ 28 inch draw...The limbs were maxed out @ 72 lbs...Thats impressive for my short draw...

NEXT: The Vectrix I felt it had the same draw cycle as the Vulcan, But what I noticed and didnt like was the bow rocked/rotated back in my hand rather than forward like the Vulcan...Other than that I felt the same characteristics as I did in the Vulcan

Speed on the Vectrix was 270 FPS with the exact same set up as the Vulcan...28" draw, 72 #'s 409 grain arrow...Not bad ,but not worth upgrading to this bow as my 05 Switchy shoots 270 FPS with the limbs maxed out @ 72lbs

LAST: The Almighty Mathews Dren, Nothing draws smoother IN MY OPINION than the new Mathews bows...The only difference between this and the Hoyts was that this one was set at 29" draw at 72lbs...It shot 280 FPS, with a 409 grn arrow, take away that inch of draw and it shoots the same speed as the 28'' Switchy...It had a quiver, sight and a trophy taker rest on it...I believe it felt lighter than the XT with out accessories...Way lighter than my 05 SB

Was it worth getting rid of my 05 SB...In my opinion I would have to say no...The bow shot beautiful, fit and finish was high grade...But all things being equal , it shot the same as my 05 SB...I didnt feel the little bit of hand shock like others have talked about...It was dead in the hand like all the other Switchbacks..Great bow

In the end I bought the Vulcan, it was every bit as forgiving as the others and 20 FPS faster....No hand shock, quiet too...I always wanted a speed bow to shoot Idaho's 400 grain min arrows a little faster...Now I have one that I feel will be a tack driver when I get it all set up...

My reasoning for getting this particular bow is that if Im going to pay big bucks for another bow, I want it to be worth my while...at a little more than 20 FPS faster than the other bows I shot; with the same forgivness, this is the bow for me...

So now there are 4 hoyts, 1 Mathews in the house...My wife and son both shoot hoyts...This is my 2nd Hoyt, the other is an 05 Ultra tec which is really hard for me to get rid of...

Hope this little review helps you folks that shoot heavy arrows with a short draw

The pics of the group are shot @ 60 yards with the Vulcan, 3rd time shooting the bow, almost dark left to right wind, I was trying to figure out which vanes to use, Vantecs or Blazers...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ex-wolverine; 01-20-2007 at 12:31 PM.
    07 Vulcan/05 Switchy/05 Ultratec
    Hogg-it Hunter/TT/WB rest
    Scott Saber Tooth
    Mikes Custom Bow sling

Default Oh yeah, I forgot to add, the new fuse strings are awesome

No stretch or peep rotation
    Attached Images Attached Images
    07 Vulcan/05 Switchy/05 Ultratec
    Hogg-it Hunter/TT/WB rest
    Scott Saber Tooth
    Mikes Custom Bow sling

Default Vulcan

I shot the Vulcan, Switchback, the Drenlin, and Vectrix. I started shooting all the bows my dealer had and I was going to buy a Switchback. Dealer said next week I will have the new Mathews in wait until you shoot it before buying. So when it came in I shot it but I liked the Switchback better. Also coming in that day was a Vectrix so I shot it I liked it. But I was leery on getting it because I had my mind set on Switchback. I shot them side by side for 3 days and decided on Vectrix. I had to order 1. It didn't come in and I needed a bow for 3D league. He did get in the Vulcan so I gave it a try. It is as smooth, quiet, and forgiving as Vectrix but faster. It has 1" less brace. If that doesn't bother you go for it. Thats just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorwma View Post
    has anyone shot the vulcan yet? im brand new to bow hunting and ive been wearing out my dads cybertec but i deffinatly wanna get a bow of my own. ive been researching all the bows i can but no one has a review on any of hoyt's 07 lineup. i went to the proshop around here last week to refletch some arrows i tore up and the owner had set up a vulcan w/ a 26.5 draw which didnt leave me a prayer... but i wanted to shoot it so bad. anybody got a vulcan, or anything from the 07 line?
    ive shot the vulcan its really smooth it has 80% letoff wich is something that hoyt did in o7.. its a really smooth to shoot its forgiving and i think that u would enjoy it if u got one.

I just got mine, and WOW! This hoyt is unreal! I bought the only one that the shop had and it is really fast, super accurate, and easy to shoot. I put a 410 gr. arrow through the chrony @ 282 with the Vulcan #70@28"! 350 gr arrow went 305fps set up with peep, kisser, and loop. The 6" BH is not even noticable.

Thumbs up Vulcan

I've had my Vulcan for a couple weeks now, been playing with the tune and cams. This is where I'm at so far with the Vulcan with the factory strings and cables, True peep and loop. 27" draw @63# 314 grain Lightspeed 299 fps, 385 grain @ 63# Lightspeed 340s 276 fps.

For a short BH bow this bow shoots great! 20 and 30 yard groups have been awesome but today my 40 yard groups sucked