You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3d turnaments

Default 3d turnaments

I an new to the sport and i am wondering how to start shooting 3d turnaments.

The hardest part about your first is going. Walk up to the table, introduce yourself and I bet they'll bend over backwards to help and answer any question you have. If your by yourself most places will even set you up with a few guys to tag along with just to help you out.

to 3d shoots. Post up

No question to hard and none to stupid, most of us here already have already ask it

Hardest part for me is judging distances up hills

Good luck shooting it is a ton of fun once you get into it

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Shooting across "valleys" messes with me.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bridgers View Post
    I an new to the sport and i am wondering how to start shooting 3d turnaments.
    Just show up sign in and if you know what class your shooting in it 's always a good start,if you don't someone will help you out for sure!!!!We 3D guys might look scarey but most of us are A.O.K and will only be to happy to show you the ropes as long as you don't go Winning LOL!!!!Remember it's only Darts on seroids,unless your name Garry then it's just plain hard work!!!!!!
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

State tittles are being held at my local club this weekend and i'm going to give the Hunter class a good going over and maybe I'll place now i'm shooting a decent bow????Thanks Matt and thankyou Mr Easton!!!!!Keep you posted if things go well you'll be able to say you new me When!!!!!
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by dbdcougar View Post
    Shooting across "valleys" messes with me.
    these shots are the worst.

I got acouple misses due to these shots

Talking A little known fact !

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    these shots are the worst.

I got acouple misses due to these shots
    Heck , I've been known to kill them hills with all the direct hits on the otherside of many 3D targets at all the local shoots here in west-central Iowa !

There were many strip mines , as they were mining , hauling and salvaging all that aluminum in them hills !

I just love carbon , stop all the mining !

thanks guys for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    State tittles are being held at my local club this weekend and i'm going to give the Hunter class a good going over and maybe I'll place now i'm shooting a decent bow????Thanks Matt and thankyou Mr Easton!!!!!Keep you posted if things go well you'll be able to say you new me When!!!!!
    Well guys the greatest come back since Lazarus happened today and I'm glad to report I used alll Carpshooters tricks and of course came Dead last!!!!! Whats up with that?????????But serious we had 30 targets today and 20 tommorow (Sunday Here)Didn't lose a arrow or break one and I'm comming a close 3rd in Hunter Class,this never happened shooting a Hoyt!!!LOL Lets all see what tommorow will bring

cheers westy

I used alll Carpshooters tricks and of course came Dead last!!!!!
    And what did we learn from this???
    FBSA emertus

Next time i'm listening to the Gatoreye!!!! Do 3D targets have dots

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Next time i'm listening to the Gatoreye!!!! Do 3D targets have dots
    My R&W does; my wife and I were out back shooting and while I was off tinkering with her bow she painted the 11 ring white. Her response: "I knew you wouldn't like it so I did it while you were occupied; I couldn't see the ring"
    FBSA emertus

Valleys are fine as long as it is not down a lane of cut out grass. I feel like my arrows get nervous and decide to disappear under the dirt about 3 ft short of the target

Default Team Broadheads N Lead 3D archery shoot

We have a 3D archery shoot at West Tennessee archery, in finger, Tennessee and this is our first archery shoot, it is 15$ a head, and it is september 1st and starts at 8am and runs till 2pm, drinks and cold cuts provided by West Tennessee archery, water will be provided throughout the course, 2$ off of every entry fee will go into a pot and winner takes all!!! plus other prizes to 2nd and 3rd place as well. I hope everyone can make it out, it is opening day of dove season but, it don't open till 12am so come shoot and have fun!!! The guys at West Tennessee Archery, have been a great help to us in putting on our first archery tournament, my hats go off to them!!! Aim small Miss small

Quote Originally Posted by Team Broadheads N Lead View Post
    We have a 3D archery shoot at West Tennessee archery, in finger, Tennessee and this is our first archery shoot, it is 15$ a head, and it is september 1st and starts at 8am and runs till 2pm, drinks and cold cuts provided by West Tennessee archery, water will be provided throughout the course, 2$ off of every entry fee will go into a pot and winner takes all!!! plus other prizes to 2nd and 3rd place as well. I hope everyone can make it out, it is opening day of dove season but, it don't open till 12am so come shoot and have fun!!! The guys at West Tennessee Archery, have been a great help to us in putting on our first archery tournament, my hats go off to them!!! Aim small Miss small

Hey good luck with your first shoot. You should have some cooler weather. Hope you have a great turn out. Any chance "The Turtleman" be there. Don't know where in west Tenn. you are but it would be about a 9 hr. drive for me.

Talking A little known fact !

That I have never claimed to be a great archer , just a guy who likes archery , enjoys many things in life and am not tied down to being the best , as it's the whole picture in archery not just shooting targets alone or such , as life's too short to worry about numbers or scores !

Now you know and you are !

When I got into bowhunting several years ago none of my friends were bowhunters, only gunners. I did not know any other archers.

I heard about this thing called 3D from a guy at work who had shot years before.

I poked around a bit and found a 3D shoot about 45 minutes away. Drove up there by myself. Walked in the clubhouse to register and told the guy at the table I had never shot 3D before and could use some help.

Another guy just hanging out piped up right away and said "I'll shoot with you".

Had a great time that day. Missed a few targets too but it didn't bother me or the guy I shot with a bit.

Welcome Paul. The hardest part is just going the first time as has been stated. Find out where, get there on time, tell them you have never done it, and you will find company to shoot with. Swallow your pride the first time, you may or may not do great. I was humbled, but thoroughly enjoyed shooting with other people who liked shooting bows. I had only shot by myself in my backyard (for 30 years) previous to trying 3D. Some take it very serious and some just do it for fun. It really is a blast, just go, there will be someone to help you get going. I've shot with a couple of friends or gone alone and always ended up shooting with someone or a group. Everybody is there because they like shooting a bow. Go for it bro.
    FBSA Member

What part of the world are you from Paul? USA?
    Hunter class is what I would suggest as a starter if using a compound with fixed pins.
    Last edited by red44; 08-29-2012 at 10:27 PM.
    FBSA Member