You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Beginner Training

Hey there. I'm new to the whole archery thing. I'm nearly 15 and living in Turkey. I've always had an interest in archery but the only place I could find to enroll was a training center that trains people for the national team. They barely took me on because they said I was actually a little to old to start. İt's a little intimidating, to have to work with small kids who know better than me and older teenagers that look down at the rookie.

Do you have any advice for me? Will I be able to adapt here? Should I quit this place and look for somewhere less serious?

Thanks in advance.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

I know nothing about your country and archery there and I'm unaware of anyone from your country on the board here. I assume you have looked for local clubs and someone who shoots already? Anyways always good to see someone getting in to the sport - welcome.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Turkey is in....Aussie's are out

to 3d shoots

Are you shooting a recurve? IMHO recurves are harder to learn than the compounds most of us shoot. The compounds we use have so many gizmo's to eliminate all the hard parts about shooting a bow that if a brand new shooter hits the bow shop and buys all the latest and greatest they can be consistently hitting a 6" target within minutes of setting up a bow. Give the same people a recurve and it'll be 6 months before they can hit the target.

Post up we'ld like to hear more.

Thanks for the welcoming Nice to learn this great sport.

İn my country, archery is, or atleast used to be very a sacred and important activity. Turks and the Huns that are related to them were very well known for their great horse archers. I've always been fascinated by archery since I learned about the role it plays in my countrys history.

Alas, here archery doesnt have the importance it used to anymore. I found one club, and now their training us for the national team.

Right now I'm using a recurve they gave me that has pretty much no "gizmos" attached to it. I didn't shoot an arrow with it yet though, their making practice drawing it fully without a finger ring, holding it for a few seconds, then gently letting go without releasing. It really hurt my fingers

Do you have advice for this budding archer? Should I get my own bow, and does it matter how big I am? I'm 180 cm (5.9 feet) and broad shouldered, does this affect what kind of bow I should use?

Sorry for all the questions

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

First thing you need to decide is what do you want to use it for; number 2 is do you want a compound or a recurve. No1 may answer No2; ie competition where compounds are not allowed as a possible example. Next would be draw weight - how much do you need for what you want to do with it; of course don't get more than you could reasonably expect to handle. Since you are just starting you won't be able to handle what you will be once you have some experience.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus