You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target panic

Default Target panic

I need help! I have struggled with target panic for a long time. I am going to switch from my trigger release to something different. Can any one tell me if a pull through release or back tension release is better? Thanks

I would recommend a good back tension and plenty of blank bale training. IMHO a pull thruogh release works best with excellent form. Most of us dont have that form.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Second the back tension.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

A back tension release only works if you use it as a back tension release.

I ve seen a few guys using hinges and thumb triggers who are doing nothing but twisting the release to go off or hitting the trigger with there thumb to send the arrow then call it back tension and wonder why they are still jerking with target panic at the shot. Spend the time need to properly use back tension or all your doing is prolonging the problem.
    Once you learn back tension you can fire any release with back tension. I use back tension to fire off my trigger release while hunting, it is the same tension I use to fire off my thumb release and it is the same tension I use for my hinge. When I'm target practiseing I switch back and forth between the different releases just so I don't anticepate the release on any one release.

Back tension is not a easy fix,alot of blank bale shooting, and shooting with your eye's closed and up close are needed to ingrain back tension. It doesn't happen over night and if your cheating and trying to hit a spot at the same time your trying to learn back tension you will fail. You have to learn to release the arrow with back tension without thinking about back tension, you cannot concentrate on both things at the same time.

I think of it as building tension in the middle of my back. I draw the bow, set my anchor points, stare my point of aim down, and start building pressure in the middle of my shoulder blades which draws into the back stops. This puts the extra pressure into my hands which triggers the release. On a hinge I can feel the release slipping in my hand which rotates and sends the arrow.

Ok thanks for the replies. That sure helps make up my mind.

"A back tension release only works if you use it as a back tension release."
    True, and that is the thing with any release and fingers.
    Target panic is not in the hand but between your ears. Switching release types just gives you something else to consentrate on for the time being. You can "trigger" any release. Don't let the shot go untill your ready. The target is not going anywhere.
    Back tension releases can cause their own kind of anxiety.
    Take a deep breath, and work on consentrating on the target, not the release.
    Last edited by red44; 09-20-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    FBSA Member

This may be of interest

Rotational aiming this will be done at your normal aiming distance – hang up the target faces that tends to give you the most problems.
    Now draw your bow back with an arrow and try to settle in on the X – hold it there as long as you can before you start to get to shakey (( Don’t shoot the arrow - -Let Down ) – this could be 5 seconds or 15 seconds
    At the beginning of this step I have witnessed people all of a sudden jump or shake as if hit by a electric zapper – this would be the mental fear – panic and the result of the tremor was your panic wanting to fire the bow will you are training on patience in time the zap effect will be gone.
    You need to pull up aim as long as you can and let down 9 times then shoot your 10th arrow –boring but it works – Now do this every day for a minimum 2 weeks. Try not to shoot for score on any other events during this period.
    What you will find is you can come in from different angles I prefer from the top and settle into the zone and actually be relaxed will holding over the x area.

The next process after completing the 2 weeks of the first step
    Use a arrow backstop that is large enough to hang a couple target faces – but only hang 1 face up
    Now you will have some extra room around the target face.
    “If possible” shoot as close to the normal distance you would be shooting the game .say - 20yards
    Now take your first arrow draw back and aim and shoot at the blank area of the arrow backstop – normally the shot goes off smooth and easy.
    Now take the second arrow and draw back aim and shoot at the X on the target face – this normally is not as easy or smooth – your mind is trying to keep the sight on the x and you tensed a little.
    Keep rotating back in forth until the arrow shot at the - x area feels as easy and as smooth as aiming at nothing on the arrow backstop.

Good luck this normally cures a person and the first step – 2 week process is the most important
    The second step reassures your mind & motor skills.

JDX--
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

Quote Originally Posted by JDX-- View Post
    This may be of interest

Rotational aiming this will be done at your normal aiming distance – hang up the target faces that tends to give you the most problems.
    Now draw your bow back with an arrow and try to settle in on the X – hold it there as long as you can before you start to get to shakey (( Don’t shoot the arrow - -Let Down ) – this could be 5 seconds or 15 seconds
    At the beginning of this step I have witnessed people all of a sudden jump or shake as if hit by a electric zapper – this would be the mental fear – panic and the result of the tremor was your panic wanting to fire the bow will you are training on patience in time the zap effect will be gone.
    You need to pull up aim as long as you can and let down 9 times then shoot your 10th arrow –boring but it works – Now do this every day for a minimum 2 weeks. Try not to shoot for score on any other events during this period.
    What you will find is you can come in from different angles I prefer from the top and settle into the zone and actually be relaxed will holding over the x area.

Use a arrow backstop that is large enough to hang a couple target faces – but only hang 1 face up
    “If possible” shoot as close to the normal distance you would be shooting the game .say - 20yards
    Now take your first arrow draw back and aim and shoot at the blank area of the arrow backstop – normally the shot goes off smooth and easy.
    Now take the second arrow and draw back aim and shoot at the X on the target face – this normally is not as easy or smooth – your mind is trying to keep the sight on the x and you tensed a little.
    Keep rotating back in forth until the arrow shot at the - x area feels as easy and as smooth as aiming at nothing on the arrow backstop.

Good luck this normally cures a person and the first step – 2 week process is the most important

JDX--
    AND WHEN ALL THIS FAILS POP A SERAPAX BEFORE THE BIG SHOOT!!!! Works for me
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    "A back tension release only works if you use it as a back tension release."
    True, and that is the thing with any release and fingers.
    Target panic is not in the hand but between your ears. Switching release types just gives you something else to consentrate on for the time being. You can "trigger" any release. Don't let the shot go untill your ready. The target is not going anywhere.
    Back tension releases can cause their own kind of anxiety.
    Take a deep breath, and work on consentrating on the target, not the release.
    form form form
    get your shot senquence in your mind and practice it and the painic will go wy
    when you leave it it will return for that shot

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

This may be of interest

JDX--

Here's the man to listen to. he knows his stuff. He's help me through acouple of bad bouts.

Nice to see you stop by Jeff.

This may be of interest

JDX--
    Good advice. I was at a shoot in St. Louis one time and Earl Hoyt was there. I was having target panic issues. I went over to his shop an he helped me out. He said to tell yourself that you are in control and not to shoot until I was ready. I went home and tried at home. I hung a target and got close, with an arrow nocked I would aim and hold. Mentally I would shoot the arrow. I was developing a shot sequence and did not change from it. After probably two weeks I finally shot the arrow then mentally do it again. It takes a while to get your confidence back and control.

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll in MO View Post
    Good advice. I was at a shoot in St. Louis one time and Earl Hoyt was there. I was having target panic issues. I went over to his shop an he helped me out. He said to tell yourself that you are in control and not to shoot until I was ready. I went home and tried at home. I hung a target and got close, with an arrow nocked I would aim and hold. Mentally I would shoot the arrow. I was developing a shot sequence and did not change from it. After probably two weeks I finally shot the arrow then mentally do it again. It takes a while to get your confidence back and control.
    I found that target panic only develops when you give a **** what others think!!!!I don't give a **** so i don't get target panic anymore and normally end up beating them dumb pricks on most given Weekends!!!Hey it works for me!!!!
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    A back tension release only works if you use it as a back tension release.

I ve seen a few guys using hinges and thumb triggers who are doing nothing but twisting the release to go off or hitting the trigger with there thumb to send the arrow then call it back tension and wonder why they are still jerking with target panic at the shot. Spend the time need to properly use back tension or all your doing is prolonging the problem.
    Once you learn back tension you can fire any release with back tension. I use back tension to fire off my trigger release while hunting, it is the same tension I use to fire off my thumb release and it is the same tension I use for my hinge. When I'm target practiseing I switch back and forth between the different releases just so I don't anticepate the release on any one release.

Back tension is not a easy fix,alot of blank bale shooting, and shooting with your eye's closed and up close are needed to ingrain back tension. It doesn't happen over night and if your cheating and trying to hit a spot at the same time your trying to learn back tension you will fail. You have to learn to release the arrow with back tension without thinking about back tension, you cannot concentrate on both things at the same time.

I think of it as building tension in the middle of my back. I draw the bow, set my anchor points, stare my point of aim down, and start building pressure in the middle of my shoulder blades which draws into the back stops. This puts the extra pressure into my hands which triggers the release. On a hinge I can feel the release slipping in my hand which rotates and sends the arrow.
    You mean that a backtension release isn't REALLY a backtension release??:banghead: Now if you can get about 70% of the rest of the "experts" to comprehend that backtension is only a "method" of release...why it would be unicorns and glitter for everyone.

Sent from my LG Intuition via a blind duck with a broken wing.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

While I understand what you are saying; if we don't call them BT releases, then what do we call them?
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Quote Originally Posted by dbdcougar View Post
    While I understand what you are saying; if we don't call them BT releases, then what do we call them?
    No,no,no....don't take that wrong. I know they are backtension releases. I'm just saying that just because they are releases that are to be prodomtily released by the backtension method, they can in fact be fired without using backtension at all. Simply meaning that a person can buy a hinge release, and never use backtension to fire it, thinking that just because they shoot with a hinge, with no "Trigger to punch", they shoot USING backtension when in fact MOST of them are just rotating their wrist to fire it.

Now I know that some of the people here are gonna argue, "well the release has to rotate to fire", and yes it does. But HOW you get it to rotate determines if you are using it properly.

Hi W900, nice to have you join us.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    Hi W900, nice to have you join us.
    Thank you Mr. Gator eye, good to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by TheW900Man View Post
    Thank you Mr. Gator eye, good to be here.

Mr Gator eye. careful with the Mr. thingy. you'll give him the big head
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

Okey dokey... I will try to refrain from that lol. I tell y'all one thing, I got a better welcome here than I did on AT. I still frequent the AT people, but it seems that the atmosphere is better here. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by TheW900Man View Post
    Okey dokey... I will try to refrain from that lol. I tell y'all one thing, I got a better welcome here than I did on AT. I still frequent the AT people, but it seems that the atmosphere is better here. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Nice to see you found your way over you will like it alot better over here just watch out for that Westy guy he's a lil different

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine