You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Talking I almost felt like a real archer today!

Hi!
    I'm new here but maybe you guys can appreciate this.. have you ever had a really good day all of a sudden? I'm not too good and I only stand not quite 20 yards from the target (one of those Block foam ones, about 24"?) Usually I'm kind of all over the target. After a couple of hours of shooting with Mr. Howlindawgs at a 20 oz mountain dew bottle hanging in the center of the target, all at once it was "Wham! Wham! Wham! Wham!" Four of seven right in the bottle. The next time, 6 of 7 right in the kill zone (the white circle at the middle of the target maybe 12-15 inches?) I know for most of you it would seem like point blank range, but for someone with about 90% of strength in the legs, for a few minutes today I felt like a REAL archer. I know I have a long ways to go, but isnt it just so much FUN to have a day like that??? Seriously, I love my bow (Hoyt Excel recurve) and I can't wait till it becomes like an extension of my arm

Awesome! I love days like that!!

Try it with a golf ball or better yet a ping pong ball. Ive noticed i concentrate on my form n shot execution more when there is something like that to shoot at. A buddy and i like to shoot small balloons at 40yds. I think its good practice and just something different IMO.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk 2

We moved it down to a can instead Of a bottle. Step by step. Today Mr. Howlindawgs decided to take some high speed shots of me shooting. Had *no* idea I flinch and shut my eyes at the moment of release. Not to mention the torquing and vertical instability. Crap. Guess I got a ways to go before I'm a real archer. *sigh* More practice ahead...

Did ya put a sight on it?
    FBSA Member

Thumbs down

I did; it's a loaner until my actual sight that I ordered comes in (hard to find left handed stuff I guess). But I have the sight all the way over to the left and I still have to sight at a point at least 12" off the right side of the target to hit the actual target or they all miss left! This had got to be a form problem as I have a new rest that eliminates vane drag which I thought might be the problem. But when I try and think about my form while shooting ("Don't pinch the nock! Bring your hand back on release! Am I torquing the bow? Don't squeeze it so tight! Why is my arm shaking? Stop leaning forward! Keep your eyes open, dammit!") then my arrows just go all over the place!
    I scheduled a lesson with a professional instructor in hope that he might be able to tell me what i am doing wrong, but it's not till the 23rd. I guess till them I'll just try and focus on grouping the arrows together, regardless of where on the target they are going.

Ha. It reminds of a cartoon I saw about golf. Put you feet this way, your hips this way, bend this way, hold the club this way. Now, just swing naturally.
    Keep us informed on your lesson.
    I'm impressed your leaning forward, most newbies have lordosis and/or scoliosis, hips forward and upper body way back, butt sticking out.
    No "gripping" the bow, a gental index finger only, just touching, will keep it from flying out of your hand. Squeezing it tighter does'nt make the draw weight less, it only adds lateral torque. Arm shaking is just muscle fatigue, that will get better with time. Groups are good.
    FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Howlindawgs View Post
    Hi!
    I'm new here but maybe you guys can appreciate this.. have you ever had a really good day all of a sudden? I'm not too good and I only stand not quite 20 yards from the target (one of those Block foam ones, about 24"?) Usually I'm kind of all over the target. After a couple of hours of shooting with Mr. Howlindawgs at a 20 oz mountain dew bottle hanging in the center of the target, all at once it was "Wham! Wham! Wham! Wham!" Four of seven right in the bottle. The next time, 6 of 7 right in the kill zone (the white circle at the middle of the target maybe 12-15 inches?) I know for most of you it would seem like point blank range, but for someone with about 90% of strength in the legs, for a few minutes today I felt like a REAL archer. I know I have a long ways to go, but isnt it just so much FUN to have a day like that??? Seriously, I love my bow (Hoyt Excel recurve) and I can't wait till it becomes like an extension of my arm
    And the quest for perfection has begun!!!!!!
    Trust all of us when we say it more additive than DrugsLOL

Go you good Thing!!!!!
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.