You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow Kills

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Default Bow Kills

I was wondering what type of animals or reptiles has been harvested by an bow an arrow by ya'll. Hey if ya got pics that would be nice. HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

This needs to be in the hunting section.

Deer, turkey, squirrells.

I'm going to buy an inexpensive recurve and try my hand at bowfishing this summer on the Rock and Mississippi rivers. I have everything I need except the bow.

I saw that on 'Gettin Close with Lee and Tiffany'... I don't know where they were but the fish were jumping in the air in the boat's wake that they were shooting the things while in the air. It was really funny and I bet it was a real challenge because those things were moving pretty good. They got a few of them but they missed WAY more than they hit.

I think it would be fun to do a more 'exotic' hunt out West or something like that. Work, house, etc... just seem to get in the way.

Ron
    Last edited by Ronhop; 01-17-2007 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    This needs to be in the hunting section.
    Opps! Have mercy on me kind sir.My not to bad. Will it end up on this same page? See my inocient> Now that is real bliss. I know you fella's will give the striaght and narrow on it. Then I can be a good boy. HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post

I'm going to buy an inexpensive recurve and try my hand at bowfishing this summer on the Rock and Mississippi rivers. I have everything I need except the bow.

I saw that on 'Gettin Close with Lee and Tiffany'... I don't know where they were but the fish were jumping in the air in the boat's wake that they were shooting the things while in the air. It was really funny and I bet it was a real challenge because those things were moving pretty good. They got a few of them but they missed WAY more than they hit.

I think it would be fun to do a more 'exotic' hunt out West or something like that. Work, house, etc... just seem to get in the way.

Ron
    I have a old ragged out Pearson Cougar 45 # stick I got a a yard sale for $4that I use to bow fish with and a Bear reel. You have to be really sensitive when one strikes the bait though for that is a pretty thick and not to supptle bow. HS
    Last edited by Holy Smokes; 01-17-2007 at 11:29 AM.

Ron

I believe they were on the Illinois River in central or southern Illinois. How could you forget Tiffany in a bikini

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Clover & Oats View Post
    I believe they were on the Illinois River in central or southern Illinois. How could you forget Tiffany in a bikini
    Actually she had shorts and a bikini top on... I'm observant when it comes to things like that...

I don't think they were on the IL river on the show I watched. I think they were someplace out of the country since the guides looked foreign.

Anyway, that was funny as heck to watch. I was laughing out loud.
    Could you imagine a couple of people firing arrows like maniacs out the back of a moving boat ? I would be laughing so hard I would be firing arrows into oblivion...

Ron
    Last edited by Ronhop; 01-17-2007 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    I have a old ragged out Pearson Cougar 45 # stick I got a a yard sale for $4that I use to bow fish with and a Bear reel. You have to be really sensitive when one strikes the bait though for that is a pretty thick and not to supptle bow. HS
    Yeah HS, that's funny. The bowfishing arrow I have is like a long Lincoln-Log... I tried an old recurve a few weeks ago one day when we finished hunting that morning. I don't know what brand it was but my buddy got it from a friend who didn't want it any more. That sucker was really hard to hit anything with, except the side of a barn, literally... He just got it a couple of months ago and he's struggling with it. I think I could really like shooting one of those once I got a clue on not having to rely on a sight... It's a very strange feeling. I didn't lose or break any arrows so I thought the 'experiment' was worth the time... We had fun with it and I imagine we'll continue to fool around with it when we get together for Spring/Summer BBQ's with a couple of beers thrown in for good measure. We have regular 'shooting games' with pop cans in the yard. It's good practice and we laugh a lot, mostly at each other.

On a recurve where do you mount the reel ? This recurve don't have a threaded bushing for a stabilizer or other accessory. Would you have to have somebody drill and epoxy in a bushing ? Just curious since the riser is really short... I need to shop around and see what I can find. I'm looking forward to playing around with something like that, I just don't want to spend a ton of money.

Ron

Yeah HS, that's funny. The bowfishing arrow I have is like a long Lincoln-Log... I tried an old recurve a few weeks ago one day when we finished hunting that morning. I don't know what brand it was but my buddy got it from a friend who didn't want it any more. That sucker was really hard to hit anything with, except the side of a barn, literally... He just got it a couple of months ago and he's struggling with it. I think I could really like shooting one of those once I got a clue on not having to rely on a sight... It's a very strange feeling. I didn't lose or break any arrows so I thought the 'experiment' was worth the time... We had fun with it and I imagine we'll continue to fool around with it when we get together for Spring/Summer BBQ's with a couple of beers thrown in for good measure. We have regular 'shooting games' with pop cans in the yard. It's good practice and we laugh a lot, mostly at each other.

On a recurve where do you mount the reel ? This recurve don't have a threaded bushing for a stabilizer or other accessory. Would you have to have somebody drill and epoxy in a bushing ? Just curious since the riser is really short... I need to shop around and see what I can find. I'm looking forward to playing around with something like that, I just don't want to spend a ton of money.

Ron
    I know that Bear had a bushing you could buy you drill and epoxy in several years ago. I guess it would still be a good way today but you will need to tske it up with more instructed minds that mine. You will be pretty close to your query when you bf. only yards. no need for expensive gear. HS

they were up by peroira ( spelled worng) illinois. those dam flyin carp are in the rivers around here so thick thats its gettin to b dangerous. weve almost got the warden talked into lettin us go out there with 12gauges and takn care of em

Deer, turkeys, tree rats, chipmunks, ferel cats, carp, and blue gills
    I cut things up and split them down!

Deer, squirrels, turkeys, black bear, foxes, coyotes.

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    That's some shootin' there son...

Deer, racoon, rabbit, squirrel, misc fish, turkey, and woodchucks...

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    That's some shootin' there son...
    happenend at a outdoor bag target league.....I was almost back to the clubhouse and the little bugger ran right in front of me....15yrds....split him in half......it was hillarios......

humm, got elk, deer, rabbits, prairy dogs, few tree rats, rattle snakes, few misc small birds, 1 sage grouse. and missed a few yots.... But they really stink so thats ok!!!

Bowman what in the devil is a feral cat? You did'nt shoot syvester did you? I shot a stray dog once upon a time with a stick. HS

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    Bowman what in the devil is a feral cat? You did'nt shoot syvester did you? I shot a stray dog once upon a time with a stick. HS
    its wild house cat........that isall I will say.....

oh and I forgot a woodchuck......

Site Guru

Deer, Tree-Rats, Chipmunk (was an excellent shot!)
    No I'm not dead

its wild house cat........that isall I will say.....

oh and I forgot a woodchuck......
    Not to cause divisional parts to our counrty or fellowship but here in the South this critter(wood chuck) is called a big ol fat ground hog. Cooked in a pot and then baked with bbq sauce and some carrots, taters, and onions is pretty tasty. I have got a couple of these with my bow, several with a 22 . We ahd a ground hog contest 1 yr at the archery club ,the biggest 1 won. I did not get it but had a big time stalking this exotic critter. HS we sometimes call em Whistle pigs