You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Life in the Army

The sort of feed-back the army likes...

Life in the Australian Army...

Text of a letter from a kid from Eromanga to Mum and Dad. (For Those of you not in the know, Eromanga is a small town, west of Quilpie in the far south west of Queensland )

Dear Mum & Dad,

I am well. Hope youse are too. Tell me big brothers Doug and Phil that the Army is better than workin' on the station - tell them to get in bloody quick smart before the jobs are all gone! I wuz a bit slow in settling down at first, because ya don't hafta get outta bed until 6am. But I like sleeping in now, cuz all ya gotta do before brekky is make ya bed and shine ya boots and clean ya uniform. No bloody horses to get in, no calves to feed, no troughs to clean - nothin'!! Ya haz gotta shower though, but its not so bad, coz there's lotsa hot water and even a light to see what ya doing!

At brekky ya get cereal, fruit and eggs but there's no kangaroo steaks or goanna stew like wot Mum makes. You don't get fed again until noon and by that time all the city boys are buggered because we've been on a 'route march' - geez its only just like walking to the windmill in the bullock paddock!!

This one will kill me brothers Doug and Phil with laughter. I keep getting medals for shootin' - dunno why. The bullseye is as big as a bloody dingo’s arse and it don't move and it's not firing back at ya like the Johnsons did when our big scrubber bull got into their prize cows before the Ekka last year! All ya gotta do is make yourself comfortable and hit the target - it's a piece of piss!! You don't even load your own cartridges, they comes in little boxes, and ya don't have to steady yourself against the rollbar of the roo shooting truck when you reload!

Sometimes ya gotta wrestle with the city boys and I gotta be real careful coz they break easy - it's not like fighting with Doug and Phil and Jack and Boori and Steve and Muzza all at once like we do at home after the muster.
    Turns out I'm not a bad boxer either and it looks like I'm the best the platoon's got, and I've only been beaten by this one bloke from the Engineers - he's 6 foot 5 and 15 stone and three pick handles across the shoulders and as ya know I'm only 5 foot 7 and eight stone wringin' wet, but I fought him till the other blokes carried me off to the boozer.

I can't complain about the Army - tell the boys to get in quick before word gets around how bloody good it is.

Your loving daughter,

Sheila xx
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Talking A little known fact !

This is the way it is mate !

......................................................................... .......................................................................................................................... ........................................................ ...........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	529161_2082878049135_1760612322_1016235_24455415_n.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	26390 - t3h 3d shoots  

Quote Originally Posted by Carpshooter View Post
    This is the way it is mate !

......................................................................... .......................................................................................................................... ........................................................ ...........
    Now thats Bloody Funny!!!!!!
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Talking A little known fact !

Unless you are my brother -in -law , who was with the 1st Cavalry Division back in '68 during the Vietnam war and was there for the relief of the Marines at Khe Sanh !

He was a " Skytrooper " , a chopper riding grunt !

Where would the Corps be without those guys , the famous " Air Cav " of the US Army ?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	huey copter , Sgt. Ernst  , Nam 68 001 (614x640)_crop.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	26409 - t3h 3d shoots   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	copter 2 ernst 001 (712x700)_crop.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	26410 - t3h 3d shoots   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	copter ernst 001 (706x733)_crop.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	26411 - t3h 3d shoots   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snoopy  1st air cav 001 (1153x1229)_crop.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	26412 - t3h 3d shoots