You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Best Bow Case for Under $200

I've been doing research to buy a case for my girlfriend archer's bow (compound, parallel), and I think that it's gotten to the point that I need some tailored advice. Most of the posts relate to very expensive cases. I want something that can take a beating (including being tossed around by baggage people at the airport) and keep her bow safe. I don't care whether it is hard or soft, as long as it can serve this function. I'd obviously prefer one that allows for organization, easy access, etc. It is for one bow, but I'd consider a double -- with me and my guns, I find that I typically can use some more space to pack some other gear when I'm leaving for a hunting trip.

Looks like SKB, Vanguard, and Lakewood have a great rep, but I see some scattered complaints about each and a lot of the reviews relate to expensive models. Some of the Plano models get good reviews as well. For SKB, looks like it would have to be the Hunter line to be in the price range, not the more hardcore mil-spec cases.

One specific thing -- the Lakewoods look great as a general case, but how do they do during airline travel -- can you lock them up and secure them?

The Vanguard model I'm seeing most of is the Axiom.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Cal_Hawkeye; 11-26-2012 at 11:23 PM.

For under 200 you better start trolling the classifieds over on AT and try to pick up something used.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    For under 200 you better start trolling the classifieds over on AT and try to pick up something used.
    So, your answer is that none of those -- the SKB Hunter, Lakewood bowfiles, or Vanguard Axiom ... or any of the Planos, will serve the purpose I described?

I am saying for under 200 your not going to get a good new airline proof case. Look for a used skb. Some of the bag cases are real good too but for the life of me I can't think of the name and I m on a phone so I not going to do a search.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    I am saying for under 200 your not going to get a good new airline proof case. Look for a used skb. Some of the bag cases are real good too but for the life of me I can't think of the name and I m on a phone so I not going to do a search.
    Are you Calling me to wish me a Happy Birthday???????
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

You can get a decent hard case for under $200, but it is NOT going to be of the quality that is "airline approved". If that's what you are looking for, bite the bullet and spend the cash for an SKB, or even better, get a Pelican case that is of the proper size and custom fit the foam interior to your bow and accessories. Yeah, it's expensive, but when it comes to high quality cases to protect you bow on an airplane or any other form of transport where it runs a greater than average risk of being damaged, you DEFINITELY get what you pay for. No way I'd skimp on something like that, bows are too darned expensive nowadays.