You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Need help

Default Need help

kind of a long story,please bear with me. i am 62yrs old, starting shooting a bow at 16. and was considered, an above average shot. back then i was pulling a 65lb pse. in 2000 at age 50 i had 4 massive heart attacks that left me with 25 percent heart function.had a quadruple bypass.i have also had two pacemakers since then. i am also insulin dependent diabetic. drs told me 12 yrs ago i would never pull a bow again. i missed that more than anything. 6 months ago i said the heck with them and started shopping for a bow, with 3d archery in mind. i was heart broke when i discovered i could barely pull a 30lb bow. i settled on a pse chaos 30 to 50lb bow. after awhile i was pulling it with ease. i ordered a new hoyt spyder 30 to 40 lb should be here in about a month. my concerns are these. how far is the longest target in 3d shoots. will i be embarrising myself with a 30lb bow.i am retired as well as disabled and have lots of time to shoot. i am also back in the gym trying to regain muscle strengh long gone. while i am doing this for fun, i am still very competitive, and dont like getting beat. be truthful am i peeing in the wind with this new bow. i do believe some of my strength will come back and hope to be pulling 40 by spring. any advise on arrows or field points to make the bow faster would be appreciated. any other advise also. my wife use to love watching me shoot and i got her a bow also. thank you in advance, for your response. may god bless. bear
    Last edited by big bear; 01-12-2013 at 11:59 PM.
    LIFE IS SHORT DONT WASTE IT

Talking Here's what I think !

to this site !

I'm older than you by a year , but started bow shooting back in '86 , but really got involved in the mid '90s .

If you got the time , you can really become good at archery !

Wish you well , and where I live the furtherest 3D target range is 50 yards !

thank you sir

Quote Originally Posted by Carpshooter View Post
    to this site !

I'm older than you by a year , but started bow shooting back in '86 , but really got involved in the mid '90s .

If you got the time , you can really become good at archery !

Wish you well , and where I live the furtherest 3D target range is 50 yards !

X 2 also you would be shooting in the vetrans group I think???? So 40# isn't a bad thing at all!!!!!
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    x 2 also you would be shooting in the vetrans group i think???? So 40# isn't a bad thing at all!!!!!
    is that the same as the old farts club. Over the hill gang etc etc:thanks for raising my spirits mate ha ha

If your shooting the bow hunter class the longest shot is 35 yrds.My daughter started at 30 lbs with a compound and use to give me a good whoopin every now and then.Now she prefers a traditional bow at 45lbs and has smoked me bad shooting from the bhc stakes............

Quote Originally Posted by duanelane View Post
    If your shooting the bow hunter class the longest shot is 35 yrds.My daughter started at 30 lbs with a compound and use to give me a good whoopin every now and then.Now she prefers a traditional bow at 45lbs and has smoked me bad shooting from the bhc stakes............
    TY WHAT R THE BHC STAKES. THIS IS ALL QUITE NEW TO ME

Quote Originally Posted by big bear View Post
    TY WHAT R THE BHC STAKES. THIS IS ALL QUITE NEW TO ME

I was just to lazy to type bow hunter class which has a max shot of thirty five yards.The 3d shoots have difrent stakes for difrent classes with a max of 50 yrds at the shoots ive ben to.

At that lbs your arrow will shoot out to 50 or 60 yards but it will just take a bit more time to get there! Be sure to get the correct spine, point weights and fletchings for your arrows and have them cut to the proper length. You should be fine.
    Proudly representing BowTech, Oak Ridge Archery, Vaportrail, Gold Tip, Dead Center Archery Products and CNC slings for the 2012 season

Your game with a 40 pound bow will depend on your ablity to judge yardage. 3 or 4 yards each way will be the difference between a 10 and a 8. Faster bows give you a little more leeway.

But as the great Apache leader Geronimo said when he was teaching Carpy and LC how to shoot a bow, "It's the Indian behind the bow that makes the shot, not the bow."

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    Your game with a 40 pound bow will depend on your ablity to judge yardage. 3 or 4 yards each way will be the difference between a 10 and a 8. Faster bows give you a little more leeway.

But as the great Apache leader Geronimo said when he was teaching Carpy and LC how to shoot a bow, "It's the Indian behind the bow that makes the shot, not the bow."

Can I use that one, Geronimo eye???????
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

what's your draw length big bear?

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post

wrong...I taught Geronimo how to shoot.
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

With the right arrow, try to keep it as close to 200 grains as possible, at 40# you will be OK. But as gator eye said, it depends on your ability to judge yardage. Good luck.

I think big bear has abandoned us