You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do ya know about strings?

Info on strings
    The most common thing is care.
    a. inspect and clean and wax the string.
    inspect and replace if any defects or broken strands.
    wax and burnish, burnish the wax into the string this is but taking a leather strap rubbing it up and down the string to create heat and melt it into the strands.

b. types of string material.
    8125g is used for speed it has creep and stretch
    452x is general purpose no stretch and no creep
    Trophy is general and hunting no stretch and no creep
    (creep is when the fibers pull apart. stretch is when all the strands become equal in length.Thus a pre-stretched string has no peep rotation)

c. Strings don't last forever
    general shooting replace every 2 to 3 years
    target shooters every 1 to 2 years

d. Accessories
    speed nocks for the extra speed
    string silencers slows the string down

e. Center serving should allow the nock to fit snugly, not tight. The arrow should fall of the string when hanging and the bow is tapped.

Remember a well maintained string will help your bow preform excellent.

More questions try out this link: http://www.bcyfibers.com/FAQs.php

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    NEED A STRING OR A SLING? PM OR EMAIL US @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    Check us out at bowstringdepot.com Now Open

When ordering a custom string! Put a little thought into your order.
    1. Speed or not (slower by more quiet)?
    If you order a string the material makes a difference. But the one thing people forget, how many strands you have in your string makes a difference.
    For instance: if I ordered a string made of BCY trophy Material. This material is able to be built with 20 - 24 strands. With less strands lets say 20, I will pick up some speed from the string. Reason less strands reduces friction and less friction the string can cut the air faster.
    *standard strands on any string are usually the maximum strands.

2. So ask questions before you order. I would think of what purpose I am using the bow for (hunting, target, both) and decide on the string material and the strand count.

3.Older bows, some are not designed for speed. This is because they are not as high tech. But you can get a few more feet per second out of them. If you change a few things. Like the string material and the strand count.
    * also the lengths of the servings were a lot longer than needed. Remeasure and shorten them, and let your string maker know the new measurements.

Hutch

Center servings: here is where a lot of archer's miss the shot. Before I started building strings I thought the center serving had to be real tight. Almost to the point if you turned the arrow the string will move with it. Wrong! The arrow nock should fit on snugly, without force. Clip on clip off gently.
    *In most cases when you get a manufactured string the center serving is too tight. After a few shots say 1000. The center serving wears and a sweet spot forms so the arrow nock fits perfectly. Problem! it thins the center serving. Which in turn lets the center serving shift or premature breakage.

Fixes: a tighter center serving, a smaller diameter center serving, a different arrow nock, or a light file with an emery board

Hutch

So witch wax should i use on 452 ? ive got some with a silicone in it that a pro shop told me to use,it ................

Quote Originally Posted by duanelane View Post
    So witch wax should i use on 452 ? ive got some with a silicone in it that a pro shop told me to use,it ................
    That wax will be okay to use. I use a similar Xwax from BCY goes on like chap stick.

Bowstring X-Wax
    with Weatherblock Technology
    Super silicone formula; perfect for 452X and all other bowstrings. Scent free, water repellant and abrasion resistant. Excellent string penetration and protection. Capped twist dispenser; applicator included.

Hutch

Default Please Explain

Great post hutch i'm loving what I'm seeing here!!!!Tell me Alpha Elite 3D comp bow what would you recomend for a Aussie to use???He has been using Winners Choice but the last one was nothing but pure Crap!!!! Can't controll the peep rotation and it's only a few months old ??? Very Disapointed Mate!!!!
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

I use BCY trophy. I have not been able to beat it. Here is how BCY describes trophy

452X blended with GORETM Performance Fiber to give increased durability, total stability, less fraying, less noise, good speed and dampened vibration. Available in 45 colors.

Recommended strands: 20-24 for compounds

Hutch

Good basic info on strings

I will add a little also....string wax....The best I have used is Scorpion Venom. I flat out love the stuff. I have tried a lot of stuff in the past 15+ years...and this stuff is awesome.

String material....

I love 452X...have used it for years. It is stable as you want...good speed as I have never had an issue getting the correct speeds from my bows. Even when using a heavier string. But...it doesn't look pretty as long as I would like. I generally shoot the Natural color so the fuzz doesn't show nearly as bad.

Trophy is pretty much 452X without as much fuzz. But some don't like to build with it. Most shooters that like 452X like it....but the builders that I know that don't like it...feel that way because of how it lays up. I have shot it but never built with it.

8125....I won't touch it. It's good stuff. But with all the super hot temps I get in the summer....and the with the strings I have had built with it for myself and customers. It never really stops moving.

Now I get to my FAVORITE string material....or at least what I am having turn into my FAVORITE.

8190 is great folks......it is the perfect material IMO. I just started using it in the beginning of Dec with the set that I built for me. I have nearly 2000 shots on this set now. Yes 2000 shots since I got the bow setup on Dec 12th. those are documented shots as I wanted to truly test the material and see how it is holding up...plus for my own training purposes :wink: Not to mention a few hundred more undocumented shots as I work on the setup or just want to shoot 10 arrows here or there

This string and cable set has NOT budged....not at all. I have put it in the press here or there just for the purposes of setting the bow up to fit me and playing with things as far as getting the feel I want.

There is ZERO fuzz or signs of wear so far.....NONE
    No peep movement....well not before I started adding a 1/2 twist here and there...1/2 on the top and then 1/2 out of the bottom and then another 1/2 later....I also have redone the center serving. So it's not sitting PERFECT straight back like it was. But its damn close....and it doesn't wiggle around while being drawn.

The material is faster then 452X....the recommended number of strands is 24 strands. I built mine with 28 strands since I shoot a TON of arrows and wanted a more stable string set. But I also wanted a firmer wall and a little less holding weight so a fatter strings give me that. But even still the bow is faster then it is with 452X.

But one of my favorite things about the material is how it feels at the shot. 8190 gives the bow a softer feel at the shot then it has with 452X...it also seems to be a little quieter.

So for me.....8190 is the PERFECT combination of 8125 and 452X. I won't be shooting 452X again anytime soon.

Talking Here's what I think !

I think that this thread is open to many different opinions , as even " yours truly " wants to know what everyone out there thinks of their strings !

As no doubt I'll be in the market for new strings soon !

I've had the same results from 8190 as BH. I still have some 452x & will use it up, but won't buy any more.

What end serving material are you guys having the most success with?

I used 3D for years, but have recently gone to .014 white halo with a clarifier. I like the way it looks.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I've had the same results from 8190 as BH. I still have some 452x & will use it up, but won't buy any more.

I used 3D for years, but have recently gone to .014 white halo with a clarifier. I like the way it looks.

Allen
    .007 halo is what a lot of builders have gone too.

Hutch

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post

Allen
    I have used Halo in the past....and when I was shooting for Hinky and other string makers they made mine with Halo. But I build with 3D for myself. For me it works just as well and saves me some money. But I don't really care to use white serving. I usually use the natural color in 452X and the set of 8190 I have on the VE is white...so I use brighter colors for my serving. For me 3D is perfectly fine. I gain nothing by using Halo....so I just use the cheaper alternative

Cheaper is good.

You make a good point BH. When I run out of Halo, I'll take another look at 3D.

Hutch, in spectra fishing line, the .007 is 15# & .014 is 50#. I worried that the .007 wouldn't hold up. What is your experience with it?

Allen

Allen, I still use .014 halo. But talking with a lot of other string makers they are having great success with .007 halo on cams. They say its a better fit and tracks a lot better.

Hutch

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Center servings: here is where a lot of archer's miss the shot. Before I started building strings I thought the center serving had to be real tight. Almost to the point if you turned the arrow the string will move with it. Wrong! The arrow nock should fit on snugly, without force. Clip on clip off gently.
    *In most cases when you get a manufactured string the center serving is too tight. After a few shots say 1000. The center serving wears and a sweet spot forms so the arrow nock fits perfectly. Problem! it thins the center serving. Which in turn lets the center serving shift or premature breakage.

Fixes: a tighter center serving, a smaller diameter center serving, a different arrow nock, or a light file with an emery board

Hutch

Does less center serving equal less chance of peep rotation?
    Especially when you start adding a twist or removing a twist or two?

also in the past when I had to reserve the center or any part of the string I would end up with peep rotation, what causes this?

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post

also in the past when I had to reserve the center or any part of the string I would end up with peep rotation, what causes this?
    Bad Bloody String Makers!!!!!!!!!
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Talking Here's what I think !

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Bad Bloody String Makers!!!!!!!!!
    We need them string makers to post here !

Please continue !

If a string is stretched properly and all the servings are done with the twist there will be no peep rotation. Peep rotation is caused by serving going in the wrong direction, against the twist.

Hutch

Maybe, it depends on your technique. After a string has settled in & stabilized, any change will likely result in peep rotation. Often it's temporary and will re-stabilize after a few shots. When I tested short center serving, it tended to move on me a little if it was too short. And if it was served tight enough to keep it in place, it resulted in peep rotation.

Hope this helps,
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    If a string is stretched properly and all the servings are done with the twist there will be no peep rotation. Peep rotation is caused by serving going in the wrong direction, against the twist.

Hutch
    As I was saying!!!!!!!!Bad Bloody String Makers as explained by a Bloody ripper of a string maker Hutch!!!Thanks Hutch