You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default I'm sure this has been asked, but...

Is there a need to lubricate the served string on a compound bow where it contacts the cams?

I am certain that there is a great deal of friction due to the pressure between the cams, strings, idler wheels, etc. With this in mind, is there something that should be added to help reduce wear and promote performance.

We wax our strings to provide lubrication, but the serving is always avoided. I am certain this is to avoid build-up of dirt and to keep the serving in place. However, there is still that contact patch of synthetic string on aluminum. Should it be ignored, or is there a way to properly care for this area?

Sent by Morse code using rocks and cup phones.

No need to wax the servings around the cams. As you already alluded to, all it will do is attract and have dirt or other grit stick to the area and cause more abrasion than no lubrication at all. Underneath the serving there is wax put in the string material when it's manufactured and this is enough to keep those strands lubricated.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    No need to wax the servings around the cams. As you already alluded to, all it will do is attract and have dirt or other grit stick to the area and cause more abrasion than no lubrication at all. Underneath the serving there is wax put in the string material when it's manufactured and this is enough to keep those strands lubricated.
    Thank you

Sent by Morse code using rocks and cup phones.

Thumbs up waxing cam servings

I kind of agree to disagree. If your buying and maintaining your bow Properly you should be occasionally using a cam lube/ or a pen oiler for cams and string/servings need to be waxed every time you shoot to truly make that string last for years. If a bow owner reads deeper into the manufacturers recommendations they want you to wax all servings, just not frequently on the cams & or idler, just occasionally. If I have a bow that's 1,500 im doing everything I can to maintain it, even if its 3-400.00 dollars you will always have a better resale value or trade in value over all others for a well maintained bow/or gun,because it will show the difference from so-so to awesome condition. Most shop owners & technicians will say like the others said it has a tendency to collect grime quicker than not waxing. Your string will have to be replaced every 1-2 years by not waxing properly, all my strings last atleast 5 years. I shoot every day rain or shine. Make sure you practice often & make sure your technique/execution"form" is perfect.

Now we have a discussion. Now I'll rattle back. Always do your homework when buying a bow. Most bows today use factory lubed and sealed bearings in the cam so no lube is needed for the bearings themselves. It does pay to spray some silicon into the axle periodically just to chase any moisture away, especially if the bow has been in the rain.

I, too, have had strings on a bow a long time. As many as eight years at which time they did show normal signs of wear. I'll stick by my theory that most people wax strings way too often. I've got strings that show no fuzziness even after not being waxed in a year. It's more a matter of how much care taken with the equipment. When not in use my bows are in a SKB soft case with nothing else in that compartment to rub the bow or any part of it.

I can't argue what is said about factory recommendations because I haven't read anything yet. I guess I'll just have to get on www.bcyfibers.com or Brownell's website and see what they have to say. This would be much better than reading about opinions from people like yourself or me. They make the string material so they ought to know. Another good source might be some of the custom string makers on Archery Talk.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver