You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default How long should string last?

My first question, since I have actually taken a few hundred shots;how many shots,or length of time shouls string and cables last? Also;how often should wax be applied to the string? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi stevepro65, Target shooters change strings every year or 2 and sometimes more. Hunters replace theirs every 3 to 4 if not shot as a target bow. As for waxing, wax when the string looks fuzzy.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    NEED A STRING OR A SLING? PM OR EMAIL US @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    Check us out at bowstringdepot.com Now Open

Default Thanks Hutch!

I guess I've got a little time before I have to worry then.Got into this on an entry level budget and I'm quickly realizing it will be as expensive as any other addictive sport.

I typically wax my string after every time I shoot. Some say this is a little excessive, but with over 4,800 arrows on one of them that was put on in 2008 and still going strong, I am a firm believer in waxing. I have found that it helps prevent water and other damaging particles from hurting it. Just MO, but as string will last a long time if taken care of properly. Good shooting!

Thumbs up response 2 strings and waxing

Hi, I know this is old now but I also shoot every day and I wax every other day, when I wax I wax it like its never been done. you can use your fingers but I use a piece of soft leather after I've waxed strings and cables, I really rub it in there so leather is very warm.The perpose is 2 warm wax so it penetrates the entire string,not just the surface. 1 time a month I wax heavily & use a hair dryer on medium and slowly watch wax melt into strings and cables just keep it moving slowly. Most strings if taken care of properly last up to 4 to 5 plus thousand shots,and I have had some go for 10 years but I do every wax job excessively. never leave bow in hot truck or car, it destroys strings rapidly, if you have no option keep it covered up or in case. A quick and easy way to see if you bow is shooting properly check your axel to axel every week with a tape measure 1or2 times . My ata is 34" if its 34 1/8" or 33 7/8" I need to press bow or bring to shop & get it back to 34" spec by either adding twist to the string or untwisting string, or adding twist 2 cables or untwisting cables,but you can mess it up easily at this point so be slow & steady. good luck and have fun! Quicksilver34SS

I change my target bows each year and hunting bows every other year.

I shoot almost daily, putting about 10,000 shots a year through my bows. I take decent care of my equipment and wax my strings (custom made) when they need it. That usually means about 4 times a YEAR. Between waxings I find that when a string shows signs of fuzzing there is usually enough wax in the string that a brisk rubbing between thumb and fore finger is enough heat to bring some of the wax to the surface.

Actually there are products made to clean the string and remove old wax to some degree and I consider this more important than just adding wax till it's caked on the surface. If your string gets to feeling sticky chances are that there's too much wax on it which will just attract and hold onto dirt or other grit which is the main culprit leading to string wear.

Wax needs to be rubbed into and between the strands. Wax just on the surface isn't going to do what it's intended to do. Part of that is lubricating the strands so that they do not abrade each other. Wax rubbed into and between the strands is enough to keep water out.

A good way to remove excess wax is, once it's all rubbed in (burnished), wrap a couple loops of dental floss around the string and pull the tag ends from end serving to center serving. Might even do this a couple times and then rub it again to smooth things out.

Well made strings should last several years if done this way.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver