You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Default Hello all, new to archery

Hello all. I just bought a diamond infinite edge yesterday. I got the package from cabelas from a man that took about 3-4 hours setting up the boy from me and givinge tips. I am heading out tomorrow as he said it takes a day for the arrows to set once cut. I will be shooting on the McCord afb archery range. My questions are many and I am hoping the experienced can lend some wisdom for the new guy on the line. First, where can I get info on how to shoot technique ECT ECT. Been in the army for 13 years and can shoot a rifle extremely well but something tells me a bow is a bit different. Normally I would have asked my dad about these things but he recently passed so I'm kinda out in the wind. Secondly I got the package deal. I noticed a lot of the other bows had many more accessories, stabilizer a hand strap for the bow, and a few other things I don't know about and can't identify. Are these things necessary/truly helpful. The gentleman at cabelas was truly helpful but evident go into explaining arrow selection and stuff like that. He said that I would do well with what he set me up with but I got no idea. Which sights,rest, are preferred for beginers what shoul I look at upgrading to? Biggest thing is the top sight is set to 20 yards for me. How do I set the other 2 points. The bow dissent come with any instruction. It's a trueglown3 point sight. What ranges shoul I zero them to. And lastly for fear of length of this post where is a good site I can really read and learn from YouTube is good but I find the same 15 vids. Thanks in advance. I can't wait to start shooting. Haven't been this excited since my dad first took me out with my christmas present wHen I was 7 (my first 22)

Default New

For those of u wondering I am not trolling my account is 2011 but with 3 boys 2 with severe med issues it has in fact taken me this long to have the extra cash to get started. It just crossed my mind a 2011 account saying he was new is a bit of a conundrum

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

I like the wrist strap as one thing that is a definite do not do is grip the bow hard; the strap should do a part of holding the bow. Stabs are quite helpful in settling the bow down (note: there some that just basically help dampen vibration). I like one that is around 12"; long enough for me to feel it's doing something but short enough to still use in the field. Most people set up a 3 pin for 20, 30, and 40. Do you 20 pin first and then do the other 2 in order. With you 20 pin on you'll mostly be just moving the other 2 pins up and down. You may find at distance your L/R may need to be tweaked a hair; if it's way off you should have your shop check the tuning on the bow.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

reaper, try hunters friend site, it a good site a lot of good information, You tube is good too, try how to shoot a bow, how to hold a bow, paper tuning backward tuning, last but not least when you shoot on Post you might run into a old retiree at the range

Talking Here's what I think !

reaper , go ahead and shoot your bow some and if you are doing that at a place where there might be some experience shooters , ask them .

I'd set a three pin sight at 20, 30 and 40 yards !

I'd start out with at least a dozen arrows that are all the same , you'll be amazed at how they become lost and broken !

Good luck to you and please keep us inform !

Default Amazing day

So I spent 4-5 hours on the range today. Found the mcchord sportsman club and joined was less than 40 dollars for the whole year. Great people, seriously great. I got the 20 sighted in with about a 6 in shot group. Then moved on to the 30 which was a bit harder for me. Talked to a few people. Found out that the rest I have ( it is a triangle brush rest best as I can explain it) wears somewhat quickly. Probably shoot about 250 arrows today mabey more. Also the fetching seemed to being crimped a bit on some of the arrows even tho I was using them odd up like I was told. I was told that I should get a 5 pin sight as opposed to the 3 pin I have currently. Also that I should look into a drop rest. Overall the diamond bow I have is great. Got a sling and 6 in stab on it today as well. Just not sure about the rest. I got the cash for a decent drop away but I've already dropped about 7 in the past 2 days. Kinda wanna hold off a bit. Will the rest I have ruin my arrows? If so any recommendations on a drop away rest. Anyways after awhile I linked up with a guy and shot the 3d course. Learned people have different bows for hunting 3d and target shooting. Why ? Won't 1 do all of the above well? Anyways was amazing ended the day with a decent 3 arrows in other 30 and a real nice group in the 8-x circle. I'm going again tomorrow. I love this it's almost zen like. Every shoot I relax a little more. This is like therapy

Default Funny stuff

So after 10 years of marriage I just found out tonight that my wife used to shoot competivly in college... Talk about a wt:censored moment. Now I'm wondering what else I still haven't learned about the woman I love..... Lol this is just funny. I guess I got a instructor after all. She doesn't want to shoot tho.. Any ideas how to get her interested in it again. She says it would be too hard with both of us shooting with the 3 boys ( 7 6 1 /2) I'm open to ideas

With 3 boys it could get interesting.Got my daughter into it at 5 by letting her tag along with a recurve ,let her keep score for me and help judge yardage.One of the other guys had a son close to her age so we started shooting together and that helped to keep them both interested. Now there both 15 and 16 kickin our buts on the course.........

Default Another great day

So I made another trip to cabelas today... Quickly becoming my favorite home away from home. Anyways I bought a trophy ridge micro cypher 5 sight ... Omg it is amazing such a improvement over my trueglow 3 pin. I can consistently hit the 40 now as I can see it due to the smaller pin size. It also has a light built in to make the pins brighter on sunny days. It was great. Took a bit to zero and I lost an arrow on the first shot. I did not realize I could shoot through a pressure treated 2x4 as it went high into the target stand. 6 bucks gone there but the rest were grouping very well and only took a bit to get her sighted in. Sighted it for 20-40 in 5 yd increments the 3d range at the club only goes to 40 yds and I'm still not confident shooting farther yet but wow. I also have a octane 3 point bristle rest that I will be upgrading to a ripcord code red drop away rest when I can convince the wife to let me have another hundred... Will have to wait til payday but its amazing. So after a few days I'm thinking might want to try the clubs novice shoot in a month or so. I just don't want to go out looking like a total amature. How much practice is good for training for a shoot, how much is too much?

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

So after 10 years of marriage I just found out tonight that my wife used to shoot competivly in college... Talk about a wt:censored moment.
    Now that's funny
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

its never to much now just have fun and go shoot some 3d you cant go wrong