You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default It's a Hoyt Defiant, but . . . . .

So, I bought this bow about 10 years ago for $50 at a yard sale.

It also had some arrows, quiver, and a Cobra site that are not in the picture, I'm currently cleaning them up and had them removed when I took the pix.

Only thing I know about bows is how to shoot them. I decided to break it out again now that I have more time to get into archery and I live somewhere where I have room to shoot it, again.

After some searching I found out that it is a Hoyt Defiant, at least as far as I can tell. Seems like I got a pretty good deal on it, it's in great shape.

What I'm looking for is information on what has been done to it. It says "built by" and has some numbers that I have no idea what are all about.

Is it "custom" built somehow? Looks like standard issue limbs that were available on the Defiant, from what I can tell. 41" ATA and they say Fast Flight.

Can someone tell me more about what, if anything, has been done to this bow?

What the numbers mean?

Are these stock cams?

Is this still a good bow for someone wanting to get into archery to start with?
    Any suggestions on what it "needs" (other than a new string)

Do I need to worry about parts?

I'll just be target shooting, by the way. But I hope to get pretty serious eventually. No competitions for awhile or anything, but I do want something that will let me see my potential.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO_20130708_135739_zpsc45106c2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	26921 - t3h 3d shoots   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO_20130708_135726_zpsf1d7f258.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	26922 - t3h 3d shoots   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO_20130708_135804_zps097ebd62.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	26923 - t3h 3d shoots   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO_20130708_135917_zpsbcecfbbd.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	26924 - t3h 3d shoots   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5d4ed60c-bfaa-482c-b050-9a334d6b8797_zpsf5e5c531.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	26925 - t3h 3d shoots  

So, after more digging, I'm thinking it's going to cost me more to put new string and cable on the thing than it's probably worth, anyway. As old as it is, I'd think I'd want both replaced before I did any shooting with it.

Sound right, guys?

Nice old bow mate!!The guy to ask would be Garry the Carpshooter he has a thing for old bows and Shelias I here???LOLSend him a P.M as he still shoots a few old bows and still gets a few deer with them !!!!!
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Looks like a good starter bow . With the price of new bows if that one is a good draw length and poundage for you I would get a hold of hutch at the bow string depot on here and get a new set of threads. Then save a little money for a new or used one if it became addicting .

Quote Originally Posted by Multi-Tasker View Post
    So, I bought this bow about 10 years ago for $50 at a yard sale.

It also had some arrows, quiver, and a Cobra site that are not in the picture, I'm currently cleaning them up and had them removed when I took the pix.

Only thing I know about bows is how to shoot them. I decided to break it out again now that I have more time to get into archery and I live somewhere where I have room to shoot it, again.

After some searching I found out that it is a Hoyt Defiant, at least as far as I can tell. Seems like I got a pretty good deal on it, it's in great shape.

What I'm looking for is information on what has been done to it. It says "built by" and has some numbers that I have no idea what are all about.

Is it "custom" built somehow? Looks like standard issue limbs that were available on the Defiant, from what I can tell. 41" ATA and they say Fast Flight.

Can someone tell me more about what, if anything, has been done to this bow?

What the numbers mean?

Are these stock cams?

Is this still a good bow for someone wanting to get into archery to start with?
    Any suggestions on what it "needs" (other than a new string)

Do I need to worry about parts?

I'll just be target shooting, by the way. But I hope to get pretty serious eventually. No competitions for awhile or anything, but I do want something that will let me see my potential.
    Looks nice, Multi-tasker, limbs look like wood laminated with glass...
    As far as the writing is: S= string, C= cable and Y=yoke would be my guess.
    You could contact Hoyt, I presume...
    Fastflite was a string/cable material that gained popularity in the late 80's.

Cheers,

Phil aka tazzman

Default Defiant

The defiant was one of the sweetest bows made in th early 90's. It was probably the first truly detailed machined bows as all of the others before the hoyts were blocky. This bow looks to have command cams which was a very nice drawing cam with for the time a decent back wall. The limbs are the psolid laminated carbon and fiberglass before they went to split models.. They were good and strong. The only knock by some on that bow was it wasn't the quietest or the lightest.

Assuming the draw length and draw weight is a fit then I would suggest getting new strings and have alot of fun shooting it. Based upon the pictures you got a steal even figuring in the additional cost of the strings!

If the bow fits you in DL and pounds it's worth re-stringing it. I shoot a few older bows and though not as fast as the latest many of them are darn good shooters and capable of hunting with. Hoyt's charts unforntunately have been updated and no longer have your bows specs. I would call them. customer service, to get all the info you can.
    I have a mutt Hoyt, old riser mixed with newer limbs and command cams to finger shoot with. I like the command cams.
    Something to keep in mind on the string and cable lenths, Hoyt didn't always include the 6" yoke in they're string lenths writin on the bow. Bring it or send it to a reputable shop or string builder to get a new set of threads.
    FBSA Member