You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Sighting In

Default Sighting In

Can anyone answer me this. When sighting in my bow I am dead on at 20-30 yards but then after I go out to 40 and 50 I start to drift right. I cannot move my sight right to adjust for the drift because then my 20-30 yards will be off. Is it just making the adjustment knowing I am going to be to the right or is there something else I am doing wrong? I know that I need to work on my form as the further out you go the more each movement will affect the shot, but is there any tips people have for longer distance shots?
    Bow Madness 3G - Mossy Oak Break-Up Infinity, B-Stinger 10" Sport Hunter Xtreme Stabilizer,
    NAP Apache Rest, Copper John Mark I 5 Pin Sight w/Dead Nuts 3 Micro Adjust Kit and Light,
    STAN SX2 Release, and ABB Premium Full Set Strings. Shooting Gold Tip XT Hunter Arrows.

Default Drifting Right

Moose Hey I can think of 2 things you can work on. First is your bow stright up and down, if it's tipped one way or the other it can do this. Many sights have a level on them to referance so your holding the bow level. Second and maybe most likely is you are torqueing your bow with your wrist. What rest are you using? I use a drop away rest and they lessen the effect if you torque your wrist. If you use a whisper biscuit or like rest that may be what's happening. When you shoot use a wrist strap and don't hold your bow. Just let it sit in your palm and make sure it's supported and your not turning it as the bow goes off. if you are torquing your wrist it's happening at all ranges, it just shows up more at longer yardage. If you have good form and you sighted in at 20 it will be on at 60. Shooting bow is like golf, you need good form and a good follow through. Watch a few videos on shooting and work on form. Hope this helps.

I have the same problem. I have a level on my sight and a drop away rest and I still do it. But I have a sight that I can move the pins left/right to fix the problem

Starting to get it down, new bow.... I forgot my binos last night so I couldn't see where I was hitting the bag to adjust my sight but here is my 2nd day shooting the bow and my first ever attempt at 60 yards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60 Yards.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	26947 - t3h 3d shoots  
    Bow Madness 3G - Mossy Oak Break-Up Infinity, B-Stinger 10" Sport Hunter Xtreme Stabilizer,
    NAP Apache Rest, Copper John Mark I 5 Pin Sight w/Dead Nuts 3 Micro Adjust Kit and Light,
    STAN SX2 Release, and ABB Premium Full Set Strings. Shooting Gold Tip XT Hunter Arrows.

Have you tried checking your center shot????? You might need to ajust your rest,I find paper tune a waste of time and prefer to do the walk back tune on all my bows!!!!Paper tune only ever tells you if your bow is right at say 10' and not at 40 yrds!!!!IMO
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

being a trad archer first and then in the 70'd going to a compound bow I hold the bow in a 1 to 2 o clock position . This means I can not use the level, so when sight in the bow forget the level as the bow is not straight upright.
    Bill Olmesdahl
    Gibertville rod and gun club NY
    Sand Dune archers of Myrtle Beach SC
    Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Default What Did You Fix

Hey Moose
    What did you do to get things sorted out? What you did to fix your problem might help others. Glad your hittin where you want, now go have fun.

Seemed to work that once I felt that I really had the 20-30 yards dialed in, I started to make real small adjustments to the 40-50-60 pins. Then after shooting so much I just had it down. I think that I was trying to make to much of an adjustment each time. Just a little at a time. I have two way adjustment on the sight (like most sights). I used my micro adjust screws moving the whole sight for the 20-30 yards and then once I had that set I only moved the actual pins for the longer distances. I think the thing that helped me the most though was just the amount of shooting I did to get it sighted in. Shooting 40+ yards is a whole lot different than 20 inside a barn.

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Have you tried checking your center shot????? You might need to ajust your rest,I find paper tune a waste of time and prefer to do the walk back tune on all my bows!!!!Paper tune only ever tells you if your bow is right at say 10' and not at 40 yrds!!!!IMO
    Paper tuning is a baseline to try and get your arrows coming off the bow as straight as possible as early as possible so that the arrow isnt trying to correct itself still at 20 yards and beyond...
    I cut things up and split them down!