You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default reason #1 what got you started?

Not stepping on stevepros' post, but what/how did it start?
    For me it started in NJ, (the hunting mecca of the us) with my neighbors who had a beagle. Introduced me to hunting bunnies and it quickly grew to hunting deer too. A bow was just another alternative month to try to get one. They hunted with recurves and then so did I, my 1st being a Ben Pearson Cougar which my dad bought me used from one of my brothers friends. Dad and I had a bet on me catching my trout limit on opening day. I did (long day) and he delivered. From that April on, I have been on an archery quest to harvest a deer. The gear has changed but not the desire. It still makes me shake seeing a deer, just hoping it comes within range.
    FBSA Member

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Shot quite a bit when I was growing up then got away from it for a long while picked it back up 10 yrs or so ago after I got in to deer hunting heavily.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

I got started in archery because of a guy I dated. He bought me a bow and took me to a bunch of 3D shoots

Life long shotgun hunter for deer... then I moved for work to a more populated state that has less space, therefore if I wanted to hunt without travel I picked up my first bow. Never looked back... However I have to add still looking for the first kill with my bow, last year had a hit but a bone shot that lived to see another day.
    Bow Madness 3G - Mossy Oak Break-Up Infinity, B-Stinger 10" Sport Hunter Xtreme Stabilizer,
    NAP Apache Rest, Copper John Mark I 5 Pin Sight w/Dead Nuts 3 Micro Adjust Kit and Light,
    STAN SX2 Release, and ABB Premium Full Set Strings. Shooting Gold Tip XT Hunter Arrows.

Like most it was an extention of my time I could spend in the outdoors. When I started I was a farmer, so I made lots of time. Now I have the farm and an outside job, so my time is limited for hunting, but I still shoot a lot indoors. I have been shooting since 1974 and still having fun!

Carroll that's about the same time I started shooting. Got lucky on a doe in the fall of 1975, thought I was the man! Only to be humbled for many years after.
    FBSA Member

For me it was an uncle. I watched him shooting and was even with him when he harvested his first deer. I was hooked. Took about 2 years before I got my first one. But the old PSE lightning flight II, and XX75, did me very well and I killed all but 1 deer I shot with that bow. First was very nice 6 point. I have killed my share of game with archery gear and boom sticks. It wasnt until I went to my first 3D shoot that I relized how much I really loved archery. Took the last 2 years off but now I am back.
    I cut things up and split them down!

Started when I was around 8, got a small recurve for my B-day.
    Been shooting ever sense.

3D & FITA fan

Thumbs up A powerful bonding experience with my son

My son and I started shooting in 2009. He was 14 at the time.
    He was curious first, and found a place that offered archery lessons. We went there, but with the intent to buy (and actually, bought) an air rifle.
    The store had a nicely set up indoor range, and offered free lessons, 2 days/week, for the 1st month.
    So we decided to give it a try ... we were hooked since day 1!!!
    It's been an amazing ride for us both ... sharing a passion (that is priceless with your teenage son!!!) and finding a sport for life.
    We both shoot compound; my son has gone down the FITA path, with amazing success, and while I do practice FITA Indoor from time to time, my true calling is in 3D.
    I love this sport & community!

Enjoy it while it last Catanus, it goes by fast.
    My daughter went with me almost every weekend to a shoot somewhere and not to sound like a spoil sport but now that she has left and went to college, archery just isn't as much fun.
    I haven't done a whole lot of shooting this year, I kind of lost my groove but maybe next.

Gator buddy, life has it's swings. I don't need to tell you that. Fishing and bow hunting has been my 2 most important personal pastimes since I was a kid. One or the other dominates for a few years depending on my situation but neither never leaves me. My 2 sons were my shooting buddies at different times in our lives. Both caught bigger stripers than me (SOB) when I paid for charters to introduce them to striper fishing. Just saying, fishing/hunting importance has it's swings. sounds like you laid a good foundation with your daughter. Archery is still fun. Get your bow out. perhaps your daughter would like to hear about how bad your shootin, lol.
    FBSA Member

Last weekend I ran into a guy at the archery shop I shot a few winter league with before my kid started shooting, he ask me to check out a winter league he and a few others I know from the shooting line are doing this winter. I mean to check it out.
    Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth.
    -Mike Tyson-

I grew up in a hunting family but none were really bowhunters. Sure my dad and one of my brothers had each messed around with a recurve at one time or another but nothing serious. When I was 11 or so I saw an old Bear recurve at an estate sale and got it for $25 and that got me to shooting in the yard some and I heard about a 3D shoot in town and decided it sounded like fun and had my Dad take me. We ran into a couple of his old friends who took went with us through the course and although I didn't do very well and lost a number of arrows, I was hooked. I got a compound for Christmas that year and then hit the local 3Ds hard the next and have been hooked ever since.

Cool stuff Supermag. Heck I started shooting in 1974-5 and never shot a 3d until 2007 or 2008 I think. It was addicting.
    FBSA Member

Default Sad start.

My wife and I were avid shooters. Mostly Glock and ARs. After the stupidity that followed Sandy Hook we switched to Archery. We shoot both 3-d and indoor. When ammo prices return to normal we will try to divide our time between our favorite sports.

My dad got me started hunting andand shooting in 1987 haven't look back.

5 years ago my wife took an archery class in a womens event (Women in the outdoors) she liked it alot suggested we try it.now were both hooked

Red. PSE Supra ME
    Black. PSE Supra ME

I started shooting a P.S.E Fire fox xbow back in the mid 80's shot a ton of hogs with alloy shafts and crap Broadheads,gave it away untill 3 years back and I'm still hooked and loving it!!!!!!
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Scent free & sittin High vortec 1's Avatar

My grandfather and uncle got me into bow hunting when I was 12 back in 1976 with a 45lb Bear Kodiak which I still have and I killed my first two deer with it. I remember hunting a whole week and maybe seeing 1 or 2 other bow hunters. I also remember seeing compounds and saying I will never shoot one of those bows with cables and pulleys. Fought using a release, sites and a D loop. I live for bow hunting and to me it's not a sport but a way of life and a family tradition. Just turned 50 and still climbing high and big time into the scent free game and it's amazing to see how far things have come.One out of three of my son's love's bow hunting as much as I do and we are buddies and it's fun to talk about big bucks each year and compare trail cam pic's and look at top'o's. I got to see him tag out this year with two shooters a nice 8 point and a nice 9 point both with a bow.
    Last edited by vortec 1; 12-20-2013 at 11:48 PM.
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

Default Total Archery Challenge - San Antonio

The “Prime Total Archery Challenge” is coming to San Antonio and we want you there! The Total Archery Challenge has partnered with Prime bows by G5 to bring San Antonio the worlds greatest out door 3D Shoot and Expo. We work hard to provide a fun, family friendly environment where everyone can enjoy the great sport of archery. It’s like we always say “Life… Its Better with a Bow!”
    The Total Archery Challenge, or TAC, is the foremost leader in fun non-competitive outdoor 3D shoots and expos in the United States. We work hard to provide our participants with real world archery shots in a safe and family friendly environment. Participants can expect:

100+ 3D archery targets
    3 different course with targets from 10 yd’s to 100 yd’s
    Pop-up System with moving 3D targets
    Novelty Shots with the chance to win multiple prizes
    Vendors with the latest outdoor products
    Free Education for novice and beginners
    An Amazing Venue
    Fun for the whole family
    Great food and Fun!

This is the one archery event you do not want to miss. All participants that pre-register will get two days for the price of one and a free t-shirt, and a free entry to win a Prime or Quest bow (“The One” is not included). Please feel free to contact us at anytime we look forward to seeing you soon.
    Register today for a chance to win a new Bow @
    www.totalarcherychallenge.com

The Total Archery Challenge Staff
    info@totalarcherychallenge.com
    801-636-0604