You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: peeps

Default peeps

I'm debating whether to get a peep put on my compound. I'm getting back into bow hunting and have seen some use them but not much said about it.
    Are they good-bad, a preference. Would like seasoned hunters opinion.Thanks

I don't use one but the vast majority do. I use a couple of the alternatives, Timberline No Peep, Archery Innovations Anchor Sight, and a Perry's No-Peep. If your going to use a peep, use one large enough to see you sight's round pin guard. Then you are centering a circle in a circle, simple. The only thing left to do is pick what pin to use. (assuming a multiple pin sight). The only headache to a peep is the string twisting it out of alignment. Modern string materials have minimized this, but you may still need to tinker with it now and again. The old tubed peep still works too.
    Last edited by red44; 11-02-2013 at 11:22 PM.
    FBSA Member

Thanks for the info. After reading your reply, I think I will skip the peep. You take care and Peace be with you.

For the cost of a few dollars I would throw one on and find out how well it might work for you. A peep can improve your accuracy tremendously. It all depends on how well your bow is set up for you (draw length) that you could get away with just a kisser button or consistent anchor points. An inexpensive peep with a tube aligner would be a good way to start. If you like it and get good results you could always progress to one without the tube at a later date.

Bear in mind that you might hear a lot about peeps rotating and not aligning with your eye at full draw. This is not the fault of the peep, but of less than good quality strings that twist as the bow is drawn, thus one reason many of us put custom strings on our bows. If you don't want to spend the money then a peep with tube aligner has served many for a lot of years.

It could mean the difference between pie plate groups at 30 yards and tennis ball groups at the same distance. Best way to find out is to try it.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

I'm on the other end of the spectrum... have never shot without a peep. With modern technology on todays bow, there are so many torque issues from shooting sitting or at odd angles from tree stands. I would consider trying a peep, like said above its just a couple bucks.

If you never tried one, I would. Just so you know the difference. I can't remember exactly when I finally tried one but it opened up another level of accuracy for me. I started as a recurve to compound shooter with no sights in the 70's.
    Then with sight pins.
    Then a peep too. OH MY.
    Then a release. OH MY again.
    Then, a big enough peep and a round sight pin-guard. Ohhh-Boy, now we're on to something.
    The more you shoot and experiment, the better you'll shoot better, and find what works for you.
    There are guys I know who are die-hard trad shooters still that are dam good shots with just stick and string, but you will never know how accurate or satisfied with you accuracy, you are until you explore all the options.
    Last edited by red44; 12-15-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    FBSA Member

Old and Experienced

PEEP= Accuracy. No doubt there has been hundreds of thousands of deer, and other game killed without using peeps. But a peep greatly improves your accuracy. I'm an old feller and eyes aren't what they used to be but I would never consider shooting my compound without a peep. I do more target shooting than hunting now days. If you give a peep a try it should greatly tighten up your groups. Years ago 90% of hunters used peeps with a tube attached to help align the peep. Otherwise it would inevitably turn the wrong direction. That is not an issue with today's string material. Today's strings are of much better quality. Most hunters today don't use the tube. Especially if you get one of the custom made strings. I never have any issues with the string twisting in any temperature. I can literally go from 15* weather in IL to 75* weather in Georgia and have no twist issues. Like others have said, give one a try. You can get a peep for $5 or $25. If your happy with your shooting and grouping now then don't worry about. If you would like to tighten groups give one a try. What have you got to lose?

Default Peeps

I started shooting without a peep and tried with a peep. I have found that using a kisser button is almost as good as using a peep. Right now, I'm using both a kisser and a peep and my bow is shooting great.

Thumbs up peep response

Quote Originally Posted by Kybill54 View Post
    I'm debating whether to get a peep put on my compound. I'm getting back into bow hunting and have seen some use them bkt not much said about it.
    hey ive prefer a 1/4" g5 meta peep vs the tie in tube peeps. Tube style u are always wondering in back of mind when tube is gonna snap off,its happened with brand new bows, with the clip style tube peep also have had them fly off. Ive used just a served/tied in peep for over 12years now, 1/4" peep gives a huge sight window and it allows more light in longer than a 1/8" or 3/16" at dawn & dusk. Truglo also makes decent peeps,sights. The peep colors red,green & blue also tend to allow better light in due to specific colors with the aluminum peeps.

Thumbs up peep response

Quote Originally Posted by Kybill54 View Post
    I'm debating whether to get a peep put on my compound. I'm getting back into bow hunting and have seen some use them bkt not much said about it.
    hey ive prefer a 1/4" g5 meta peep vs the tie in tube peeps. Tube style u are always wondering in back of mind when tube is gonna snap off,its happened with brand new bows, with the clip style tube peep also have had them fly off. Ive used just a served/tied in peep for over 12years now, 1/4" peep gives a huge sight window and it allows more light in longer than a 1/8" or 3/16" at dawn & dusk. Truglo also makes decent peeps,sights. The peep colors red,green & blue also tend to allow better light in due to specific colors with the aluminum peeps.

I need any help I can get...........always use a peep now........but I keep spare stretch tube in my case........Like people have already mentioned, if you count on it and your tube snaps, you are done